Denon AVR-X2400H Fuse Rating?

av L

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello to all...I have a Denon AVR-X2400H AV receiver, for which I have misplaced the original UK power cord when moving houses. Does anybody here know the plug's fuse rating I should use on a replacement mains lead?

Think they come with a 10a fuse which are rather hard to find, so if you can't find one of those you should be good with a 13a

Fuses are there to protect the cabling not the device so leave the fuse as is in the new lead.

Power consumption quoted is 500 Watts = a tad over 2 Amps. So a 3A fuse should be fine, or a 5A or 10A.

Those IEC plug/sockets are only rated to 10A max, and although 13A fuses are often supplied by the cable manufacturers, I believe it's better to fit a lower rated fuse to better match the appliance in use.

Bear in mind that UK plug top fuses will run forever at almost 2x the rated current. Why a 13A fuse does not blow at 13A

Power consumption quoted is 500 Watts = a tad over 2 Amps. So a 3A fuse should be fine, or a 5A or 10A.

Those IEC plug/sockets are only rated to 10A max, and although 13A fuses are often supplied by the cable manufacturers, I believe it's better to fit a lower rated fuse to better match the appliance in use.

Bear in mind that UK plug top fuses will run forever at almost 2x the rated current. Why a 13A fuse does not blow at 13A
Thanks Rodders53....that makes sense, and in that case, I'll go with a 5 Amp fuse👍

Thanks Rodders53....that makes sense, and in that case, I'll go with a 5 Amp fuse👍

Not really the appliance should protect itself if required. The fuse is there to stop a 32A ring main from melting the cable. (that's the reason we have fuses if you look at the EU\US they don't have fuses in the same leads)

Like fuses though cables will run at a higher rating than their rated load.

Last edited:
Wow, so now Im confused as to the best way to go?
So if the fuse doesn't protect the AVR as such, sonically it would be better to go with a 10 or 13 Amp fuse then?

Nowadays fuse ratings have been standardised and manufacturers fit either 3A or 13A depending on requirements. 3A <700W 13A>700W.

Not withstanding the above, the fuse recommended by the manufacturer should be fitted.

Thanks to all for your input and advice; I've since fitted and currently using a 5amp fuse.....all good 👍

Just checked the IEC mains lead supplied with a mobility scooter charger. 24 V 2A output (nominal)
IEC C socket labelled 10A.
13A plug has moulded marking to "fit 13A fuse" (also has 3, 5 & 10A positions).
Cable is marked as 3x0.75 sq mm cross section, usually only good for 6A continuous.
Just swapping the fuse down to something smaller now I know :facepalm: I had to re-solder the fixed connector only last week as it was arcing due to a dry joint and mechanical disturbance from plugging/unpluggng, too. :eek:
Nowadays fuse ratings have been standardised and manufacturers fit either 3A or 13A depending on requirements. 3A <700W 13A>700W.
Not sure that's a fact. 3, 5 and 13A are the most common fuse sizes but I've seen 10A too.

Laptop psu 'mickey mouse' plugs came, one with a 5A fuse fitted and the other 3A. A recently purchased Dolce Gusto coffemaker has 10A (and the 13A moulded plug is labelled 10A, too).

Fuses of different ratings are widely available. Screwfix and Toolstation sell 3, 5 and 13 in packs of 10 . Wiko sells 4-packs of 3, 5, 10 and 13 A.

If you want a wider range then RS is the place to go. 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 10 and 13A. Buy bs1362 online from RS Components Quality Bussman ones, too. Sadly expensive and in bulk quantities though.

Not sure that's a fact.
Don't take my word for it, read through BS1363, in the meantime here's a condensed version of info.

Manufacturers are free to advise their own ratings.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom