Denon AVR-X2300W Owners Thread

OK peeps..... reckon I have it now.

So with ARC enabled the HDMI carries video from the amp to the TV, and audio from TV to amp.

Cheers ..

Correct [emoji106]

What is people's preferred method of playing PC video files through their 2300 ?

Will VLC and a Chromecast work ?

What are people’s experiences with the display and specifically the decoding that is being employed ?

I currently have just 4 sources connected to the AVR. FreeSatHD from my TV, Sky HD, Chromecast and PS3 (the latter set to output bitstream, which I believe to be the correct setting as it leaves all the processing to the amp).

Scanned through a few channels on my Sky HD and I can see the display indicating Dolby Surround. This I take to be a processed surround effect from a stereo source (similar to DPLII). Also seen 7.1 MTX which I take is 7.1 processed from a 5.1 source on Sky Atlantic. Similar results from the Chromecast.

Then tried with the PS3, again I can see both DBS or 7.1 MTX dependant on the source. Lastly I tried a “Ran” BluRay with a DTS TrueHD output. This just displayed DTS !... Is that correct ?

I am running a 7.1 setup with a single sub.

I will tell you Thursday when I've done installing :smashin:
I don't suppose you had a demo with either the Wharfdale DX1XE or Cambridge Audio Minx speaker packages?

As I popper over to a local RS today and the sales adviser seemed to think that the 101XP had an inferior centre speaker to the others. So I am pondering whether it is worth me trying to squeeze in the slightly larger DX1 or paying extra for the Minx 225...

At least they concurred that the X2300W is the best amp at this price point!

I don't suppose you had a demo with either the Wharfdale DX1XE or Cambridge Audio Minx speaker packages?

As I popper over to a local RS today and the sales adviser seemed to think that the 101XP had an inferior centre speaker to the others. So I am pondering whether it is worth me trying to squeeze in the slightly larger DX1 or paying extra for the Minx 225...

At least they concurred that the X2300W is the best amp at this price point!
I didn't I'm afraid. I imagine they've said that because there technically isn't a centre speaker in this pack, all speakers can be upright or on their side; so any speaker can be used as the centre speaker.

The best centre speaker is technically one that is identical to the left and right speaker to either side of it. This in turn would be best orientated in the same manner as the other speakers and at the exact same ear level. The only real reason for the centre speakers we commonly buy is that they are easier to locate below a TV screen. They are no better than conventional speakers when it comes to outputting dialogue and can in fact create audio issues that would not be apparent with more conventionally designed cabinets. Many home cinema enthusiasts with projectors use acoustically transparent screens and locate their centre speaker behind it and in alignment with the left and right speakers. The speaker they use is most commonly the same make, model and design as that being used for the left and right speakers.

The speaker manufacturer MK is a leading protagonist for useing the same speakers right the way across the front soundstage:
M&K Sound | Why choose M&K?

and here's an article on the whys and wherefores of centre speaker orientation and cabinet design:
Vertical vs Horizontal Center Speaker Designs
Vertical vs Horizontal Center Channel Speaker Designs – An Alternate Perspective
Center Channel Speaker Design Additional Considerations

Last edited:
The best centre speaker is technically one that is identical to the left and right speaker to either side of it. This in turn would be best orientated in the same manner as the other speakers and at the exact same ear level. The only real reason for the centre speakers we commonly buy is that they are easier to locate below a TV screen. They are no better than conventional speakers when it comes to outputting dialogue and can in fact create audio issues that would not be apparent with more conventionally designed cabinets. Many home cinema enthusiasts with projectors use acoustically transparent screens and locate their centre speaker behind it and in alignment with the left and right speakers. The speaker they use is most commonly the same make, model and design as that being used for the left and right speakers.

The speaker manufacturer MK is a leading protagonist for useing the same speak right the way across the front soundstage:
M&K Sound | Why choose M&K?

and here's an article on the whys and wherefores of centre speaker orientation and cabinet design:
Vertical vs Horizontal Center Speaker Designs
Vertical vs Horizontal Center Channel Speaker Designs – An Alternate Perspective
Center Channel Speaker Design Additional Considerations

The centre speaker being ear height is exactly why I plan to ever so slightly angle my centre speaker upwards towards MLP ear level :smashin:

Got this and some atmos speakers, but getting no sound out of my atmos speakers when I play blu ray with atmos. Am I doing something wrong. Only way I gett sound out of them is multi channel plus dolby surround setting

Got this and some atmos speakers, but getting no sound out of my atmos speakers when I play blu ray with atmos. Am I doing something wrong. Only way I gett sound out of them is multi channel plus dolby surround setting
Have you wired them correctly to the front height terminals. If you have upfiring speakers you also have to manually set Dolby Enabled speakers are being used and re-run Audyssey. Once you have correctly done that then a Dolby Atmos disc will display Atmos on the unit's display.

Note that you have to bitstream audio from the player in order to convey discrete Atmos. You cannot output PCM and still get Atmos encoded audio. If you had the player set to PCM for HDMI audio output then you'd get 7.1 multichannel PCM and you'd not engage the Atmos effects speakers without also using an upmixing mode such as DOLBY SURROUND upmixing or Neural:X.

I've set-up this AVR along with a Cambridge Audio Minx S215 speaker package and it sounds great most of the time... However, I've noticed that if I use the back button on my TiVo remote (to rewind a show by 8 seconds) the sound will occasionally cut out o_O

Using the Denon remote to change the sound mode or input source will get it back again but I'm just wondering what I can do to avoid this happening?

As my previous Pioneer surround system never had this quirk and so I've become accustomed to just using the TiVo remote to adjust the volume and keeping the AVR remote in a drawer.

Hi,

I have just setup the Audyssey Setting, and have an issue about bass when testing movie
Everything is perfect if the source is Dolby Digital, however when the source is DTS, the bass is extremely strong and too loud.

Another question, if I have enabled Dynamic Volume, in order to hear the dialogue clearly, do I still need to turn on Dialog Level Adjustment ? I asked because I found that if I keep the dialog adjustment off, the dialog is still too soft. I need to turn it on (with just 0db) then all good.
Similarly the Sub adjustment is it the same concept ?

Thanks,
Dick

The best centre speaker is technically one that is identical to the left and right speaker to either side of it.

After reading numerous articles suggesting the best voice dialogue is to be had from the main left and right speakers, assuming they are correctly positioned so that the viewing position forms a sort of equilateral triangle with the speakers and screen directly in front.

You do this by indicating in the AVR speaker menu that there is no centre speaker. I tried this and found that instead of hearing the voice of the central character(s) split between left and right as is the case when you view a show but select stereo as the listening option, the dialogue genuinely appears to come from a central location, just as it would with a centre speaker located there. Needless to say my centre speaker now sits in the garage gathering dust. The clincher to doing this is there's little doubt that my mains kick out better audio than the smaller centre can, despite them all being Kef's.

Last edited:
After reading numerous articles suggesting the best voice dialogue is to be had from the main left and right speakers, assuming they are correctly positioned so that the viewing position forms a sort of equilateral triangle with the speakers and screen directly in front.

You do this by indicating in the AVR speaker menu that there is no centre speaker. I tried this and found that instead of hearing the voice of the central character(s) split between left and right as is the case when you view a show but select stereo as the listening option, the dialogue genuinely appears to come from a central location, just as it would with a centre speaker located there. Needless to say my centre speaker now sits in the garage gathering dust. The clincher to doing this is there's little doubt that my mains kick out better audio than the smaller centre can, despite them all being Kef's.
The problem from not having a centre is for those sitting off axis, dialogue is not anchored to the screen. Because of room constraints I tried running without a centre, didn't like it one little bit for movies or TV yet I listen to all my music in stereo. As for the size and audio quality of KEF centres even the basic R200 is superb and crystal clear on dialogue.

Having a large PJ screen can make it difficult to place the left and right speakers in their optimum stereo locations. The reason centre speakers were introduced was to lock dialogue to the screen. You can do without one and yes, monoaural output from the left and right speakers should ideally be portrayed central to their placement, but as I suggested this can be difficult to achieve if dealing with a large screen.

Any idea where I can find spotify? When I go into network or Internet radio cannot find the app.

Finished my install this weekend, absolutely loving this AVR, huge step up from my soundbar!!

I think I've got everything setup correctly, the xbox one s is set to output PCM as I only have 5.1, the avr is set to multi channel in + surround, is that right or should it just be multi channel in?

Finished my install this weekend, absolutely loving this AVR, huge step up from my soundbar!!

I think I've got everything setup correctly, the xbox one s is set to output PCM as I only have 5.1, the avr is set to multi channel in + surround, is that right or should it just be multi channel in?
No. Set the Xbox up for bitstream. Although it may not make a difference with 5.1 bitstream will show what is being decoded, ie, TrueHD, DTS-HD. If you upgrade to an Atmos setup then bitstream is the only way to use the true Atmos disc's metadata.

Any decent source recommendations to test DTS:X?
Hi mate...not had a chance to proper test just yet..but I'm liking DTS neural x..which u can have on any source...well try out DTS x when I'm home ..so far so good though !!..

No. Set the Xbox up for bitstream. Although it may not make a difference with 5.1 bitstream will show what is being decoded, ie, TrueHD, DTS-HD. If you upgrade to an Atmos setup then bitstream is the only way to use the true Atmos disc's metadata.
While true that bitstream is the only way to get atmos metadata - the xbox doesn't support bitstream beyond dolby digital (at the moment) so there's no advantage to sending bitstream over PCM in my setup. Although it may make it clearer what the amp is doing I guess.

While true that bitstream is the only way to get atmos metadata - the xbox doesn't support bitstream beyond dolby digital (at the moment) so there's no advantage to sending bitstream over PCM in my setup. Although it may make it clearer what the amp is doing I guess.
I'm not a gamer but is your answer not an argument for a stand alone blu ray player? You've got a good amp which you are not using to it's best capacity.

I'm not a gamer but is your answer not an argument for a stand alone blu ray player? You've got a good amp which you are not using to it's best capacity.
In my 5.1 environment how would a stand alone bluray player make better use of the amp?

If I had some form of atmos or even 7.1 I would completely agree with you, but as I mentioned, I'm only running 5.1.

Edit: The reason for such a good amp with just 5.1 is to allow expansion once more atmos speaker options are available, along with more UHD bluray player options.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom