Denon AVR-X2300W Owners Thread

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by varkanoid, Jul 19, 2016.

Tags:

1. varkanoid

varkanoid

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +104
      Official Webpage
      AVR-X2300W | Powerful 7 channel AV receiver with WiFi, Bluetooth and 3D Sound | Denon
      WhatHiFi Review
      Denon AVR-X2300W review | What Hi-Fi?

Just purchased this amp to go with my Sammy 4k Player. I was having a little problem with my Sony STR-860 playing ball soundwise with the K8500 and after installing this amp my sound issues have gone away.

First time I have had such an expensive (for me) amp and the 5* review above clinched it. So easy to setup and sounds brilliant. Tried The Martian 4k and Mad Max 4k so far and they are beautiful. Even with my crappy mish mash of speakers. Particularly like the nice touches of the setup wizard going through everything right down to the cardboard tripod sound setup mic holder.

I thought I had read somewhere this had a firmware update but I ran the update and checked the Denon website and there was nothing.

Anyway share your thoughts.

2. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,387
      The firmware update you may be thinking of is the DTS:X upgrade which is not yet available. Plenty of threads on here discussing it.

3. dan006

dan006

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +13
      Hi mate wondering if I can help me ..im having a problem witj my x2300 when adjusting picture adjust.with picture adjust on movie ..and video mode on movie the blacks are brown..and when changed to vivid blacks go to blue...if possiable could u check if this is normal otherwise I got to send it back would be great if u could..all other settings work fine ..thsnks in advance

4. varkanoid

varkanoid

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +104
      No mine is fine.

5. absolutely80s

absolutely80s

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +763
      Greetings all, just taken delivery of my brand spanking new 2300 so thought I should make this thread my first port of call in case of emergencies.....commenting purely to ensure this is at the top of my subscribed threads list :)

6. jonorw

jonorw
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2
      I hope there will be more posts here, set up tips etc. I suppose a lot of particulars will be similar to the x2200, but it would be good to get down to some nitty gritty for this AVR

7. absolutely80s

absolutely80s

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +763
      Agreed, particularly as I've upgraded from a yamaha rx-v675. Peter Tyson gave me £150 for it in part exchange, so it was a no brainer.

8. absolutely80s

absolutely80s

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +763
      Is anyone running this with a Samsung js9000 series tv, and / or the Samsung ubdk8500 UHD Blu Ray player?

9. djpaulc247

djpaulc247
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,488
      Looking at this amp after reading some great reviews, I currently have the Yamaha RX-V677 but it does not support HDCP 2.2 but was hoping for a bit more info on AVforums as I trust the reviews and people on here the most.

How is anyone with the amp finding it? Happy? Would you buy again if you could go back?

10. djpaulc247

djpaulc247
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,488
      Was this in store or online / over the phone?

11. absolutely80s

absolutely80s

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +763
      Over the phone, but the deal was on their website.

12. absolutely80s

absolutely80s

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +763
      I've had mine for two weeks now. It's a real step up from the yammy 675, not least due to the Atmos support. Anyway, I've only taken delivery of my new tv on Friday and not had much chance to experiment with the connections etc, but pretty happy with everything going through the denon, which is connected via arc to the tv.

So far, I would recommend it though.

13. djpaulc247

djpaulc247
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,488
      I rang Peter Tyson to see what they would give me for my Yamaha RX-V677 which is a newer model than the 675 but he only quoted me £120.

I mentioned I'm a member of Avforums and that a member on here had received £150 for their 675 so could they do any better and he has asked if I could provide their name. Would you mind sharing your name at all please by pm so I can get back to them?

£30 isn't the end of the world but I'd rather get it if I can to subsidise the expense of the Denon, on top of the new 4K TV and UHD player I've just bought!

14. absolutely80s

absolutely80s

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +763
      PM'd you.

15. absolutely80s

absolutely80s

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +763
      Ok, so I'm experiencing the first glitch with my two week old Denon AVR 2300.

I have everything connected via the AVR, with the TV, a Samsung JS9000, connected via ARC. For those familiar, the Samsung has the OneConnect box.

The glitch I'm seeing happens when I first power up the AVR, TV and sky box. After around 15 seconds of watching satellite TV, the screen suddenly goes blank, Followed by the appearance of the Denon home page, so it seems it's switching from the cbl/sat setting back to the AVR screen.

By my own admission, this could be an error in the way I've set this up, but in unsure. Doh.

Has anyone else seen this happen, or for those knowledgable enough, does anyone know what's happening?

I'll post this in the owner threads for both products.....

16. jonorw

jonorw
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2
      I'd be incline to blame the Sky box, and it's reputation with HDMI control. I have Sky Q and I power on the AV and TV first, then the Sky Q after finding that powering on the Sky box would turn on the TV and AV amp, but then crash completely.

17. absolutely80s

absolutely80s

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +763
      Thanks, I'll give that a try over brekkie....

18. absolutely80s

absolutely80s

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +763

Hmmm, so, having firstly disabled hdmi control on my sky box, turned on the AV, then the TV, then sky.....the problem persists. I do notice however that when this happens, it switches from the source being displayed as CBL/SAT, to TV AUDIO. I presume I can easily cure this problem by not connecting the TV to the AV via ARC? I should add that then selecting CBL/SAT on the AV remote at this point does resolve the glitch, but this is an odd one..

19. dante01

dante01
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +11,232
      If you go into the HDMI settings you'll find an option entitled "TV AUDIO SWITCHING". Set this to OFF and the behaviour you are experiencing should desist. It will however mean that if ever wishing to use ARC then you'd have to manually select the TV source rather than the receiver automatically switching to it when audio coming via ARC is detected.

20. absolutely80s

absolutely80s

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +763
      Thanks, that certainly resolves the glitch. Frustrating that one should have to disable something that's meant to enhance functionality, but hey...

21. dante01

dante01
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +11,232
      Think yourself lucky that you've a Denon receiver that includes a setting to override the auto switching. The issue isn't specific to DEnon and is actually caused by how ARC is designed to work. At least you can overrride this behaviour using the TV AUDIO SWITCHING setting. This setting isn't standardised and only D&M receivers include it. I've a Yamaha receiver that has this issue and I have had to include a Harmony remote custom activity makro to bypass ARC's adverse effects at start up.

22. absolutely80s

absolutely80s

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +763
      I agree! And thanks for the heads up! But all the same, if there's a deficiency in the process, surely ARC needs an overhaul....by someone....

23. simonpj145

simonpj145
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1
      I've been thinking of getting this receiver mainly for 4K but also because of ARC in order to get 5.1 from Netflix etc (also using Samsung tv via oneconnect).

Presumably you're still getting tv sound via optical from the oneconnect box?

Would be good to know of another way to deal with it so that ARC can be on permanently...?

24. dante01

dante01
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +11,232
      Doing as I suggested and turning TV AUDIO SWITCHING off allows you to leave ARC enabled.

25. simonpj145

simonpj145
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1
      Many thanks, understand now

26. djpaulc247

djpaulc247
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,488
      I have just ordered the X2300w for £499 (with £150 discount for my amp which I am part exchanging) from Peter Tyson on Tuesday, due for delivery today but had an email from Richer Sounds with the X4200W advertised at £599

I have had a quick glance through the 4200 thread due to delivery being due today I do not have a lot of time for research and am wondering if their is a vast difference between the two amps and if the £100 difference would be worthwhile?

I'm thinking of ringing PT and asking if it's too late to change my order, even though it is due for delivery today, and if they'll match the price from RS. Is that a bit of a Micky take does anyone think or normal practice if a better deal comes along before you've taken receipt?

27. djpaulc247

djpaulc247
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,488
      Sorry, forgot to provide speaker info. I have the Monitor Audio BX2 for fronts, BX Center, BxFX rears. All MA Bronze.

28. Murph7355

Murph7355
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1

Just bought mine on Thursday and am experiencing something similar, only I'm non-ARC (as my kit is ancient :)).

Had the AVR acting as the video switch and all was working OK at first. Then yesterday I couldn't get rid of the Denon logo even though a valid, live, HDMI equipped source was selected.

I've worked around it at present by simply plugging the video for the HDMI source into the TV, but hate things not working properly. Will try the "TV Audio Switching" setting, but suspect as I'm not using ARC this may not cure it.

The web interface (accessing the receiver via a browser) also seems to be borked...I'd gone into the "firmware" section of it and there was an Airplay firmware noted. So I clicked "upload", only for it to tell me I had to select a file. Only there's no way to select the listed file (at least not on a Mac using Chrome or Safari)! Now the web interface always goes to the firmware section leaving it useless.

The amp is still working perfectly apart from these two things. Really easy to set up (I wasn't overly pedantic about measurements and it still sounds brilliant), and works nicely with my old (but very pleasing) set up - Pioneer 436XDE TV, Energy Take 5 5.1 speakers, Mac Mini as an HTPC running Kodi (and an obligatory Nintendo Wii :)).

My old Sony STR-DB925 now awaits a final trip to the tip. Was always pleased with how this performed, but the rear channels packed in earlier this week. The Denon really does demonstrate how things have moved on...control of the sub is light years better, and the whole sound stage is fantastically seamless and is showing up what I was missing on my 15yr old receiver.

29. jonorw

jonorw
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2
      You could try a reset by holding the tuner -/+ buttons on the front then powering on.

30. absolutely80s

absolutely80s

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +763
      So, I'm using the Denon 2300 in conjunction with the Samsung js9000 TVs, and Samsung UHD Blu Ray player. I'll post this in those owners threads too, because I've experienced an issue this evening while using the player.

So, firstly, I was watching iplayer on the UHD player app. I'd just started watching something, and the screen kicked out, went blank. No sound either. Same thing happened later when playing the Martian UHD disc, it kicked out completely. I thought that in both case by pressing the Blu Ray function button on the Denon app would bring the picture back, but it didn't. I had to turn the Denon off and on.

I've no Idea on this....anyone?!