Denon AVR-X2000 - opinions for cost effective replacement?

gw0udm

Novice Member
Hi all

I've got quite an old system - a Denon AVR-X2000 which I bought new in 2014 (for £249! things have changed) and some Tannoy FX 5.1 speakers which are older still (2004 I think).

The Denon amp has been a bit problematic for ages - sometimes video flicking off, sometimes intermittent sound etc although usually cured by resetting it. However the other day 4 out of the 7 HDMI sockets suddenly failed for no reason (distorted video on one, nothing at all on the rest). I've not opened it up yet to have a look but I suspect it will be beyond my skills to fix. I've also hit various issues with the lack of HDCP support (so no 4k passthrough) etc which I've worked around over the years.

I'd be interested in opinions on what to do next. Looking around the market for new replacements it's clear that things have moved on (and prices moved up!) over the years. I was starting to wonder whether I'd be better off going down the soundbar route... although that may be sacrilege. I was wondering about either getting a new Denon 1600W (although even that's a bit pricey for me) or maybe trying get a second hand one with the appropriate support (I think a 2300 or newer might do).

I'm also well aware that the speakers are well past prime, so was considering getting some Q Acoustics 3010s or similar.

EDIT: I'm going to see if I can find a second hand 2300 or similar on the classifieds but still very interested in views.

James

Last edited:

Tommy Gunn

You should be able to pick up a x3300w for $500aud. I own this amp and so far i can't complain. Dual sub outs, great pre-outs, and xt32

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom