Question Denon AVR-X2000 keeps turning on and off

Robbie2003ie

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Denon AVR-X2000 keeps turning on and off, I think the issue only started after I got Sky Q, so not sure if the extra heat is causing the issue.

See attached pic, I previously had my satbox instead of Sky Q. It doesn't feel that hot when it turns off and on and it was working fine for about 18months in this position with my Satbox.

I checked all speaker connections and reseated them all, also did a reset of the amp and replaced the HDMi cable going from HDMi Arc out on amp to Arc connection on Samsung TV.

When I changed the cable it worked with restarting for about 2 days and then all of a sudden it happen again. Nothing in the enviorment has changed. Just can't get my head around it.

The only other thing I can think it maybe is the speaker cable going into the amp, some of them have been twisted and turned and im wondering cas the copoper cable been broke and may need to cut the ends off and re-twist them?

Hope someone can let me know if they have had this issue wqith this amp or any amp for that matter and what the issue was?

THanks in advance,
BobbyT28

Attachments

• TV unit with AMP.JPG
    TV unit with AMP.JPG
    485.8 KB · Views: 769
You could be suffering from CEC problems - disable CEC on all devices and see if the system behaves.

Joe

You could be suffering from CEC problems - disable CEC on all devices and see if the system behaves.

Joe
Thanks Joe.

I've disabled CEC on TV. Not sure I can do it on sky Q or Denon amp.

I'll see how the amp behaves over the next 48hrs.

The weird thing is, it's sometimes ok for 24-48 hours then it acts up or it could play up for most of the day sand I just have to switch it off.

Regards,
Bobby T28

CEC - can be a nightmare.

SKY Q - Setup> Audio Visual Settings > HDMI Control.

AVR - will be in there too.

Joe

Thanks again Joe, I'll give that a go when I get home from work. Hope this works.

When I switch to say Netflix and YouTube on the TV I can still hear Sky over the Surround sound and Netflix and YouTube will only play through Speakers.

Any idea how to change this?

Thanks again,
Rob

Ok, really weird and not sure if this points to another issue.

All the issues started again (amp turning off and on repeatedly). So I cleaned the wire ends up and re fixed them and no issues. I decided to put on Xbox one and I plugged in my Xbox controller into the front USB port to charge the controller and the amp immediately started to turn on and off (this never happened before) I removed it and it went back to normal.

I've made a small video which I attach to show you what I mean.

IMG_1062.JPG

Last edited:
And it's just happened again without anything stuck in the USB port. Arc turned off on Samsung TV and HDMI control turned offer on sky Q and the amp is still turning on and off

What the hell is going on!!

Anyone one got any suggestions??

I sent it to repair shop and they had it on test for 12-24hrs on test without anything connected. I actually only got it back yesterday and no issues. So far I have carried out the follow:

1. I had it connect to house socket without anything connected into it. Work fine for the 3hrs.

2. Connected it in the sample plug board that I everything else is plugged into with nothing connected into it, and put it into the same cupboard minus the sky Q box that I think runs very hit, it ran for 9hrs without issue.

3. I've now connected all the other things to it with out the sky, Xbox etc connected in the same cupboard without the sky Q in it. Run the last hour with out issue. Played Spotify through speakers and all working fine.

In about 2 hours I will connect all the Chromecast, xboxx and android to it via arc without connecting sky Q and see how that runs. If it runs ok I'll connect the sky Q box (located outside the cabinet) with everything and test it out.

If it then starts to act up with the sky Q connected I would suspect a arc conflict maybe. If everything is ok I would suspect that the heat from the sky Q box caused the Denon amp to start switching on and off due to heating issues.

So 24hrs on here is the update

Ok so here's what's happened!!

Put amp in cabinet with only speakers connected. Stayed on for over 4hrs without issue.

Connected HDMI from arc on Samsung to HDMI output on amp.

1. So I first connected the Xbox one to game input turned it on and was able to play with it for about 30mins and then it started to turn on and off like before!!!!!!! So I removed it and it stopped turning on and off and stayed on without issue!!and was fine after I disconnected the Xbox.

2. Connected just the android box to media player input and watch some movie for about 15mins and then it starts to turn on and off again!!! I disconnected the box (nothing connected to amp) and it stopped turning on and off and stayed on without issue!! ggggrrrrrrr

3. I connect the Sky Q to the cbl/sat input Worked for about 20mins and then it started to turn on and off again!! When I disconnected sky Q from the amp it stopped turning on and off and it's been on now for the last 1hr with issue with nothing connected in the inputs just the speakers !!!

I'm.completly at loss as to what this could be!!

Any ideas what I could do next or test next??

Regards,
BobbyT28
Reply Edit
Denon AVR-X2000 keeps turning on and off

Amp has been on now for about 5 hrs with only the speakers connected (nothing in the inputs), it's hasn't turned off and on at all!!!

Any ideas?

'I sent it to repair shop and they had it on test for 12-24hrs on test without anything connected' - did you explain the Fault was linked to having an Input and Output connected?

ARC - I think you are mixing this up with CEC! The two are 'linked' as you have to have CEC enabled for ARC to work. ARC (Audio Return Channel) is only relevant when you are listening to the TV or devices connected to the TV via the AVR.

CEC - ensure it is disabled on all devices, which in turn will disable ARC so you will need to add an Optical cable between the TV and the AVR if you use the TV or any devices connected to it as a Source.

A Fix - with CEC disabled if you are still experiencing the problems you are going to have to insert a device between the HDMI Out on the AVR and the HDMI In on the TV which will 'manage' communication between the two devices.

Joe

'I sent it to repair shop and they had it on test for 12-24hrs on test without anything connected' - did you explain the Fault was linked to having an Input and Output connected?

ARC - I think you are mixing this up with CEC! The two are 'linked' as you have to have CEC enabled for ARC to work. ARC (Audio Return Channel) is only relevant when you are listening to the TV or devices connected to the TV via the AVR.

CEC - ensure it is disabled on all devices, which in turn will disable ARC so you will need to add an Optical cable between the TV and the AVR if you use the TV or any devices connected to it as a Source.

A Fix - with CEC disabled if you are still experiencing the problems you are going to have to insert a device between the HDMI Out on the AVR and the HDMI In on the TV which will 'manage' communication between the two devices.

Joe

Joe,

I really do appreciate you coming back to me. I'm pulling my hair out at this stage!! Is this a common issue with Denon amps and in particular this amp (avr-x2000)?

I'm gonna try everything you said and see if that works. Have you any recommendations from Amazon.co.uk store that I could purchase to put between my amp and TV?

Thanks again for all the help, it really is appreciated.

BobbyT28

Denon AVR - not that I am aware of.

Test - see how you get on and report back, we have devices on our Web Store which will likely help out.

Joe

Ok, so turned off Arc (HDMI control) on my sky Q box and disconnected everything else from amp and connected my HDMi from sky Q box to CBL/sat input on amp. Connected HDMI from arc on amp to arc on Samsung TV. Also turned off anynet/CEC on Samsung. TV work for about 15mins and then started to turn on and off!!!

Can you send me a link?

One more thing to try is powering off all devices and connect the AVR to a different Input on the TV - then re-power and test again.

If all else fails then the HDF DR HDMI (for 1080p), Linker (4K_UHD) and Integral (4K_UHD) are all devices you can try between the AVR and the TV.

HD Fury – The Media Factory

Joe

Ok, have avr HDMi going to HDMi 1 on TV not to the Arc on TV. Have sky Q HDMi going into cbl/sat on avr. [emoji120][emoji120][emoji120][emoji120]

Well that's lasted about 40mins and it started to turn on and off again!!! Like what the hell is going on?!!!

I then pressed the power button on remote, selected a different input (dvd) on remote and then selected cbl/sat and it's back working again !!!

Can you explain to me what the hell is going on in lamans terms?!

Hi,

Just to comeback on this to you. I read on another thread that sometimes disconnecting all the internal cables, particularly the HDMi board of the amp and doing a reset can fix the issue.

So i gave it one last shot and low and behold, the amp has been running perfectly for the last 9 weeks without a hitch (touch wood). It has all HDMi control turned on and arc also. It is also in the same enclosure so it looks like this resolves the issues. I'm not sure if it was me but I thought that the connection to the HDMI board was loose but that could have just me hoping that something was loose. It may have well been as it has now been running perfectly for the last couple of months.

Joe,
What are your thoughts? Also thanks again for all your help.

BobbyT31

Hey Robbie. Just found this thread because I'm having the same issue with my X4300H. Is your unit still running well? Can you give me a little more info as to how you fixed this issue?

Thank you.

Mike

Hey Robbie. Just found this thread because I'm having the same issue with my X4300H. Is your unit still running well? Can you give me a little more info as to how you fixed this issue?

Thank you.

Mike
Hi Mike,

Touch would, the amp.has been working flawlessly for the last 6 months!

As you can see from all my posts before I tried everything. The last thing I tried was opening up the amp and reseating all the cables I could get my hands on and then doing a full factory reset.

I'm pretty sure one of my cables may have been loose but I can't be sure.

Give it a try and let me know how you get on.

Robbie

I had this exact same issue on my AVR-X2000.

I followed the steps listed by Robbie.

1. Opened the receiver.
  2. Re-seated the 2 ribbon cables to the HDMI video board.
  3. Closed up the receiver.
  4. Powered up the receiver in reset mode.
  5. Works like a charm ever since.

Thanks, Robbie!

I had this exact same issue on my AVR-X2000.

I followed the steps listed by Robbie.

1. Opened the receiver.
  2. Re-seated the 2 ribbon cables to the HDMI video board.
  3. Closed up the receiver.
  4. Powered up the receiver in reset mode.
  5. Works like a charm ever since.

Thanks, Robbie!
Delighted it sorted out your issue. My amp worked flawlessly for the last 11 months so sold it to the neighbour that was aware of my issue. Just bought the AVR-X3500. So hoping I have better luck with this one!

Hi Everyone.
Sorry this is a year late, just joined because I have the famous power cycling.
I checked the boards out, no problems.
No wire issues, all new to the speakers.
Changed components.. no problems.
Didn't go away just unplugging various HDMI channels.
Works great for music without an issue, only when HDMI board during movie from DVD or my Roku input.
So
My bet
The only air inlet at the bottom is under transformer, below HDMI board.
So
I took some roofing aluminum, made a rectangular cup with one open side
Epoxy to the transformer to catch the air and direct it away from the HDMI board.
My bet is the chips were shutting down on the HDMI board.
Made it thru tonight at high volume movie!
I was suprised there are limited air intakes on the bottom
Next I may drill some holes to get more cooling air under the HDMI that does not first pass the transformer, and holes under the power board.
DON ME EE

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom