Denon AVR-X1700H or Yamaha RX-V6A?

SnowJim

Hi,

I have some problems with sound and picture drop out due to limitations in TV. The simple solution to this is using HDMI all the way that supports 4K and HDR. There is mainly two receivers I have in mind and that is Yamaha RX-V6A and Denon AVR-X1700H. The price is about the same but the Yamaha RX-V6A is harder to get but do also offer a bit more power.

What receiver would be preferable in this setup?

Yamaha RX-A3030
Monitor Audio RX8 surround speakers (2 front, 1 center, 2 surround)
Velodyne spl-1200
Nvidia Shield Pro
LG OLED65C8

Regards

mikeycmccarthy

Standard Member
I'm in the same boat here so interested in this one. I've been tempted to preorder with Peter Tyson but a bit apprehensive as I haven't read or found a review yet. I regularly look at the owners thread for the Yamaha and I got the impression people were a bit concerned about the lack of the promised firmware updates so far, and that a bunch of the features were coming soon rather than out of the box.

I can't find much beyond press releases for the x1700h, not sure if I'm just looking in the wrong places.

Jay53

I'm in the same boat here so interested in this one. I've been tempted to preorder with Peter Tyson but a bit apprehensive as I haven't read or found a review yet. I regularly look at the owners thread for the Yamaha and I got the impression people were a bit concerned about the lack of the promised firmware updates so far, and that a bunch of the features were coming soon rather than out of the box.

I can't find much beyond press releases for the x1700h, not sure if I'm just looking in the wrong places.

There isn't much out there in terms of avr-x1700h and some of the reviews are for US version which isn't the same as the EU/GB version as we are lacking some features such as zone 2 stereo preouts and remote control input jack.

nenito2k

the X1700...is just the X2700 with a little less power...and cheaper. like we already said many times...the new model is better regarding hmdi 2.1 inputs !

GeorgeL78

I currently have a brand new still in box Yamaha RX-V6A but after keeping up with the thread on a daily basis since the summer I've pre-ordered the Denon and will sell the Yamaha. My concern was that there is a known issue with the Xbox Series X w/ 4k 120HZ and Atmos with audio drop outs using eARC. My TV only has 2 x 2.1 HDMI ports and one of those is the eARC and I also have a PS5. Even post board and firmware upgrade the Yamaha will be limited by the fact its ports are 24Gbps. The Denon seems to just work out of the box..I can route all my devices and hopefully avoid Atmos dropouts with the Xbox and maintain 4K 120HZ...fingers crossed!

GeorgeL78

Sounds like a plan, is it the X1700 you have ordered?
It is indeed - unfortunately I still have to get round to decorating the room so I can set all my stuff up! Denon should be arriving early next week according to Peter Tyson.

DavidT

It’s a bad time to buy a new receiver with prices so artificially high. The X1700 is the lowest model in the X lineup so should be half the price it is. Have you looked for a used 4k receiver? For the same money as an entry level 1700 you could get an older gen 4xxx.

Jay53

It’s a bad time to buy a new receiver with prices so artificially high. The X1700 is the lowest model in the X lineup so should be half the price it is. Have you looked for a used 4k receiver? For the same money as an entry level 1700 you could get an older gen 4xxx.
I agree prices are not great but half of £599? What price do you think the s660 and s760 should be then? What were the RRP of the previous e.g. x1600 s750?

GeorgeL78

I agree prices are not great but half of £599? What price do you think the s660 and s760 should be then? What were the RRP of the previous e.g. x1600 s750?
We don't get a great deal here in the UK vs what the s760 is going for in Costco across the pond. Was the same with the Costco equivalent of the Yamaha over there too. But in general the prices seem to have gone up across the board.

Jay53

We don't get a great deal here in the UK vs what the s760 is going for in Costco across the pond. Was the same with the Costco equivalent of the Yamaha over there too. But in general the prices seem to have gone up across the board.

Th Costco price over the pond looks like it was an exclusive introductory price as the s760 is $549 elsewhere including Denon themselves

As to RRP pricing on Denon

S760 $549 Vs £599
X1700 $699 Vs £599
X2700 $999 Vs £679

SilverArc

Banned
X1700 looks to be very keenly priced bearing in mind all the features, and current supply issues across the board?

GeorgeL78

X1700 looks to be very keenly priced bearing in mind all the features, and current supply issues across the board?
That was my thinking when I ordered it. Looking at eBay prices on the Yamaha I should recoup my costs (bought it as a bundle) too so it won't be painful :)

DavidT

When I bought my entry level X2100 6 years ago I paid £249. With inflation etc I would hope the X1700 will drop in price eventually to under £400 so not quite 1/2 price :)

SilverArc

Banned
When I bought my entry level X2100 6 years ago I paid £249. With inflation etc I would hope the X1700 will drop in price eventually to under £400 so not quite 1/2 price :)
6 years ago inflation was <2%. Now it's heading up to 5% and beyond, so good luck with any price Drops.

SnowJim

6 years ago inflation was <2%. Now it's heading up to 5% and beyond, so good luck with any price Drops.

Don't you think that the component starvation also affect the price? It have been impossible to get most AVRs due to it. When they get on track again the price should come down a bit? Bit maybe not as much as before, as you say there is a higher inflation and also higher price on shipping and production. Everything is getting more expensive to manufacture and ship.

SilverArc

Banned
Don't you think that the component starvation also affect the price? It have been impossible to get most AVRs due to it. When they get on track again the price should come down a bit? Bit maybe not as much as before, as you say there is a higher inflation and also higher price on shipping and production. Everything is getting more expensive to manufacture and ship.
It's a bit of everything - component supply, shipping costs, component costs, Labour costs, energy costs.......

Jay53

It's a bit of everything - component supply, shipping costs, component costs, Labour costs, energy costs.......
Indeed which is why I was trying to find out the RRP of the models on sale autumn 2019 i.e. pre Pandemic, chip shortage as prices around that time would give an indication as to the effect the above has had.

DavidT

I get that but adjusting for inflation since 2015 £249 is now £273 so what has the extra £326 gone on to justify the X1700 price of £599. Labour and shipping costs will account for some of it but not all.

Jay53

I get that but adjusting for inflation since 2015 £249 is now £273 so what has the extra £326 gone on to justify the X1700 price of £599. Labour and shipping costs will account for some of it but not all.
Depends on where the x2100 was in its lifecycle when you bought it. I.e. was £249 the launch price or the price you paid for it potentially towards the end of its (I gather Denon are typically 2yr) lifecycle prior to next model being announced and so price lower.

Just looked up the x1600 and that was £449 in may 2019 dropped to £329 by December 2019 and is now currently £489 i.e. the outgoing model is more expensive now than it was 2.5years ago lol. Pandemic/chip shortage has clearly increased processing/distribution costs way above inflation and I cannot see us retuning to the likes of a £120 price drop seen on x1600 over 8 month.

I reckon we have a long wait ahead for x1700 to come down to even £400 given outgoing models current price :(

SilverArc

Banned
Impossible to allocate % rises across all factors, but also bear in mind that the X1700 is not just a rebadged X1600 - it contains significant new tech such as HDMI 2.1 - and as we know, new tech always costs more when it's new!

Unfortunately we have all been spoiled by the long standing low inflation environment, which allowed tech goods to actually decrease in price over their lifespan due to rapid obsolescence etc. Unfortunately I'm old enough to remember the inflation blighted 70's, where the cost of goods only went one way, and the concept of waiting for price drops just didn't exist.

Not saying it's as bad as that, but the cost of existing Denon AVRs for instance has actually increased since launch.

colonelblighty

I've just been looking at these two receivers to replace oddly enough my Denon 2100 (paid £279 July 2015) which I planned to replace last year but held out due to the HDMI issues. I like the aesthetic of the Yamaha but the limited ports bothers me but probably more than it really should as I don't have a 4k 120hz tv (Samsung 55" NU8000) but I kind of feel the 1700 would be some sort of downgrade on the 2100 newer features excepted if you know what I mean.

nenito2k

@GeorgeL78 please update this post as soon as you can ! BUT...you will have to COMPARE the yamaha vs denon ! how on earth are you gonna decide...what to keep if you have not even tested the yamaha ?! sur hdmi issue is problematic, but an AVR is sound before everything else !
besides you are one of the few people on this planet that have both of these to compare !

i personnaly am torn between them and cannot decide...and you might help

GeorgeL78

@GeorgeL78 please update this post as soon as you can ! BUT...you will have to COMPARE the yamaha vs denon ! how on earth are you gonna decide...what to keep if you have not even tested the yamaha ?! sur hdmi issue is problematic, but an AVR is sound before everything else !
besides you are one of the few people on this planet that have both of these to compare !

i personnaly am torn between them and cannot decide...and you might help
The Yamaha hasn't had the board upgrade so will have issues with my consoles. I'm reluctant to use eARC due to a known Xbox/Sony TV/Atmos/4k 120HZ issues as I mentioned. So I'm kind of torn on whether or not it's worth unpacking the Yamaha as it would then only sound quality differences I'd be testing....and yes absolutely the most important thing is how it sounds but I'm thinking what I don't know won't hurt me!!! Once the room is painted (this week) and my media cabinet arrives (9th December) I'll set it up but conscious that's almost 2 weeks to compare them :(

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Piega launches Ace Wireless speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
M&K Sound launches V+ Series subwoofers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Denon launches DHT-S517 Dolby Atmos soundbar
  • By Andy Bassett