Denon AVR-X1700H issues

schizophonic

Established Member
Reaction score
So I've had my X1700H for about a week and been sent a direct replacement from Peter Tyson due to some weird issues I want to explain to you and if its going to happen again in the near future. First all, great service from Peter Tyson and his team, they've handled my case and their company policy to issue a replacement unit before sending my faulty unit back - can't ask for anything more.

So I setup the amp on the day I got it, no problem. I have a 5.1 sound setup and it replaced my aging 1910 unit.
Fast forward 10 days later I noticed one afternoon I was getting some static noise from my surround right speaker. Doing some fault finding it came down to the conclusion the output speaker channel on the AMP of the surround right was faulty.

And before you ask this is the steps which lead me to this conclusion.

• Reseat speaker cable coming from the amp (banana plugs) and the speaker itself - no change
  • Factory reset AV receiver - no change
  • Disconnected suspected speaker cable and moved into another speaker output and static noise coming from new speaker
  • Used new speaker cable from suspected faulty output and same issue - no change
  • Reconfigured my speaker setup from the 5.1 to a 3.1.2 setup using the additional surround output and speakers all work correctly.
  • Tried blowing compressed air into the speaker output - no change.
So I then carried on using my AMP using 3.1 speaker setup and it wasn't till last night, the amp was switching itself off. The LED status was blinking on and off till I manually switched it off. It kept doing that for the next 10 mins and then eventually it wouldn't initialise correctly and just go into a limp mode.

Having a look on google, it seemed like my unit was getting bad to worse and just not coming on.

I'm waiting for a replacement unit but thought I share this story to see if anyone come across this weird issue.

Useful share, thank you. I would be interested to hear your thoughts on the difference in sound between it and your AVR-1910? Using same source, e.g. same disc in TrueHD or DTS-HD...

So I then carried on using my AMP using 3.1 speaker setup and it wasn't till last night, the amp was switching itself off. The LED status was blinking on and off till I manually switched it off. It kept doing that for the next 10 mins and then eventually it wouldn't initialise correctly and just go into a limp mode.

Having a look on google, it seemed like my unit was getting bad to worse and just not coming on.
Out of interest. Do you have the AVR positioned so that it has plenty of airflow around it (especially the top). What you describe is the AVR going into protection mode, which can be caused by heat build up/poor ventilation.

I'm sure it's not that, bit just checking the placement of the AVR is not causing an issue. Denons do get quite warm 🤣😉

Out of interest. Do you have the AVR positioned so that it has plenty of airflow around it (especially the top). What you describe is the AVR going into protection mode, which can be caused by heat build up/poor ventilation.

I'm sure it's not that, bit just checking the placement of the AVR is not causing an issue. Denons do get quite warm 🤣😉

Where you see the yellow band and remote, thats where I originally planned to receiver, my previous 1910 had no issues living in this condition. I for one will put the replacement X1700H on the top to allow maximum airflow for a temporary location to rule out if it was heat issues.

Even in the original slot, it wasn't trapped and restricted with airflow.

Useful share, thank you. I would be interested to hear your thoughts on the difference in sound between it and your AVR-1910? Using same source, e.g. same disc in TrueHD or DTS-HD...

Im not an audiophilia but not noticed a huge difference in the sound. I wanted a newer unit so I can utilise eARC and HDMI 2.1 to got with my LG BX TV I purchased last year.

Where you see the yellow band and remote, thats where I originally planned to receiver, my previous 1910 had no issues living in this condition. I for one will put the replacement X1700H on the top to allow maximum airflow for a temporary location to rule out if it was heat issues.

Even in the original slot, it wasn't trapped and restricted with airflow.
Agreed your original placement shouldn't be the cause of your issues tbh. But placing it on the top will 1000% rule it out for sure 👍🏼

Just got my Denon X1700-H this early April 2022 to replace my very old Onkyo av receiver, after a week f using it I noticed that the right front channel would stop working, then I turned off and turned on the unit and it would work fine again but after a few minutes the right channel would stop working again... no sound coming out of the front right speakers. So called the Denon shop where I purchased it and I was told to try factory reset in the menu and try updating the firmware, and so I did after resetting to factory and did the firmware update but I'm still having the same problem. Took it back to the shop and they tested it after a few minutes the front right channel stopped working, so they did a hard reset, and tested the unit and the speakers worked for a good 10 to 15 minutes and then same issue, I was advised to leave the unit with them for them to check what is causing the issue.
Very disappointed with my first Denon purchase, I have my 12 year old Onkyo TX-SR605 and this av receiver amp is a tank! never had any issues with it. I hope they would be able to find out and fix the issue.

Just got my Denon X1700-H this early April 2022 to replace my very old Onkyo av receiver, after a week f using it I noticed that the right front channel would stop working, then I turned off and turned on the unit and it would work fine again but after a few minutes the right channel would stop working again... no sound coming out of the front right speakers. So called the Denon shop where I purchased it and I was told to try factory reset in the menu and try updating the firmware, and so I did after resetting to factory and did the firmware update but I'm still having the same problem. Took it back to the shop and they tested it after a few minutes the front right channel stopped working, so they did a hard reset, and tested the unit and the speakers worked for a good 10 to 15 minutes and then same issue, I was advised to leave the unit with them for them to check what is causing the issue.
Very disappointed with my first Denon purchase, I have my 12 year old Onkyo TX-SR605 and this av receiver amp is a tank! never had any issues with it. I hope they would be able to find out and fix the issue.

Sorry to hear you've had this issue, when you say the Denon shop, is that an authorised retailer? Didn't know Denon had shops? Also is your amp location in an enclosed spaced or sitting on top of a table with plenty of air flow?

Mines left at the top of the AV cabinate and its going to stay there I think as I don't like using my TV speakers for my content lol

Sorry to hear you've had this issue, when you say the Denon shop, is that an authorised retailer? Didn't know Denon had shops? Also is your amp location in an enclosed spaced or sitting on top of a table with plenty of air flow?

Mines left at the top of the AV cabinate and its going to stay there I think as I don't like using my TV speakers for my content lol
It's actually the authorized Denon distributor here, the av receiver is just sitting on top of my AV table not even in an enclosed space. Mostly I'm using it 95% of the time for movies only.

Update: I got a call from the Denon distributor after 2 weeks, and was informed that my Denon AVR X1700H which was returned to them for warranty was already fixed.. I asked what was the cause and the technical service person told me that he traced the circuit and found a small defective electronic component on the board which was causing the problem, and replaced that tiny component and did a few days of testing to make sure it was fixed. Got it installed back at my theater room so far so good (fingers crossed).

Last edited:
Mine often loses signal from my Xbox Series X when it changes to and from HDR.
Changing to a different source input and back fixes it but it's getting annoying.

Anyone here tried using 2 subs on these
x1700-H? I tried plugging another subwoofer on the SW2, but when I tried to do an Audessey calibration it can only see 1 subwoofer, is there a settings in the menu to detect or set the receiver to 2 sub outs?

Anyone here tried using 2 subs on these
x1700-H? I tried plugging another subwoofer on the SW2, but when I tried to do an Audessey calibration it can only see 1 subwoofer, is there a settings in the menu to detect or set the receiver to 2 sub outs?

Hi, be interested to see how your experience goes, I'm looking to add a 2nd sub in the near future.

Does it say anything in the manual how it exactly needs to be setup in the cabling or software?

Hi, be interested to see how your experience goes, I'm looking to add a 2nd sub in the near future.

Does it say anything in the manual how it exactly needs to be setup in the cabling or software?
actually that's the problem, it doesn't have any instructions on calibration with 2 subs, sure the manual shows you how to add a second sub on the SW2 output, but on the tv it only shows 1 sub, so i don't know if there is a settings that needed to be enabled to show having 2 sub configuration.

actually that's the problem, it doesn't have any instructions on calibration with 2 subs, sure the manual shows you how to add a second sub on the SW2 output, but on the tv it only shows 1 sub, so i don't know if there is a settings that needed to be enabled to show having 2 sub configuration.
Although the x1700 has 2 physical RCA sub outs, they are connected internally and cannot have independent settings within Audessey. It will output and apply the settings to both subs.

As you move up the denon range, the sub outs are completely independent and calibrated individually (I think this is from the x3700 up). My previous gen 4500H has independent sub outs.

Try running Audessey with both subs connected. You should find that both of them output sound after calibration. It's just they cannot be adjusted independently of each other.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom