Denon AVR-X1700H Input constantly switching

Oduglig

Novice Member
Reaction score
I recently replaced a Yamaha receiver with a Denon X1700H for HDMI 2.1.

In my setup I have this:
  • PS5 input to Denon
  • Chromecast with Google TV input to Denon
  • Denon output to LG G2 OLED

The issue I’m having is that if I’m watching stuff on the Chromecast it’s not letting me switch input to PS5. In change the input (either manually or by starting the PS5) and the input briefly toggles to PS5 but then instantly goes back to Chromecast.

Yesterday I also had the reverse issue. I was browsing stuff on the built in WebOS (so not using HDMI) and changed the input to Chromecast but the PS5 turned on and the input kept toggling back to PS5 when I tried to watch Chromecast.

None of these issues seem to happen when I plug the inputs directly to the TV.

Has anyone else had this same issue with Denon receivers? I’d like to keep CEC enabled as my family will go bananas if they have to use another remote.

If it’s an issue with this model, or Denon receivers in general, I’m not sure what other receiver to try that supports HDMI2.1 and 7.2 in this price range.

My preference is not to use eARC for cable management reasons. Besides, If I use eARC I wouldn’t have needed HDMI 2.1 on the receiver in the first place so seems like a waste.

Thank you so much!

that sounds like the CEC hdmi control settings are on, I have this because I use ARC which requires whatever LG and Denon call it. Try turning it off on both and see how you get on.

Thank you for your response!

I’d like to keep CEC on if at all possible as otherwise I assume I will end up having to use at least two remotes, but possibly three (input device, receiver, and TV).

Is CEC known to be especially temperamental on certain makes/models of receivers? I’m assuming the receiver is the device doing something wrong since this doesn’t happen when they are plugged directly to the TV.

I have an LG and a Denon and it behaves exactly how you describe. The way round it did was add extra steps to my harmony remote otherwise the alternative would be to put a CEC blocking dongle on one end of the hdmi cable for the chrome cast. I have used these CEC blocker before

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Interesting! I’m tempted to put both inputs directly to the TV and then using eARC for sound. The only issue (and in fairness it’s a small one) I’m aware of is that it doesn’t display the volume level on the TV when changing volume, only whether the volume was increased or decreased. I can probably live with that as long as there’s no audio/video out of sync issues.

I wonder if this is Denon-specific issue. I’d try another make of receiver if I had one, but alas.

What extra steps did you have to add to your harmony remote to get it to work?

I setup the activity as normal, tv input, denon input, turn on device etc and then edited the activity to wait 10 seconds and then change to the desired denon input again to override the CEC protocol changing back to the last input.
I tried shorter wait times but this seems to be the sweet spot for LG and Denon.

Honestly I would switch off CEC if I could but I want Dolby Vision from my Apple TV and my current Denon doesn’t support it so I need to use ARC to use the TV audio.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom