Denon AVR-X1600H or Yamaha RX-V4A?

Rotec

Standard Member
Reaction score
It's been awhile since I last posted here! I used to have a rather good home cinema configuration, but as time progressed and priorities change, I've replaced failing components with lesser versions.

I currently have a new Panasonic 65" 4K HDR panel, a Denon AVR-1912 and a set of Elac surround sound speakers. In all honesty, I only use the front 3 speakers and the sub. I rarely turn the volume up past -25dB. I do have an XBox Series X on order and the AVR-1912 does not support 4K pass-through, hence why I'm looking to replace my AV receiver.

The AVR-X1600H has 4K pass-through, Dolby Atmos and 6 HDMI sockets. The RX-V4a offers 8K pass-through (future proofing), some gaming related features and 4 HDMI sockets. I only need 3 HDMI inputs, so this isn't much of an issue.

Based on my requirements, which would you recommend? :)

You're not really goimg to need the 8K capabilities for several years and you'd also need a compliant TV to glean any benefit from this. Even then, all you need is eARC and you'd simply connect the HDMI version 2.1 source directly to a compliant display. You'd then passthrough the audio and output it to an eARC equipped AV receiver. It's not actually imperative you pass the 8K or 4K/120 video through the AV receiver if both the AVR and the TV are eARC compliant.

I'd go with the Denon in order to gain the Atmos/DTS:X capabilities that the 5.1 V4 lacks. The X1600 is eARC compliant so you can still utilise it with a HDMI 2.1 equipped diaplay and sources.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom