Denon AVR-X1600h or X3400h

TonyM82

So I’ve recently sold my X2400h as I want a receiver with eARC. Power wise the X2400h was fine for my living room size.

I’ve ordered, and will be taking a delivery of a brand new X1600h tomorrow. My living room is only roughly 4mx5m, so I’m hoping it will be powerful enough. It comes with a 3 year warranty.

I have a Canton Movie 75 5.1 speaker package, with 2 x ceiling speakers for the Atmos/DTS-X.

Here’s the problem - I have now found a used X3400h elsewhere for only £30 more which is listed as being ‘blemish free’ and only missing the instruction manual. But it only comes with a 30 day warranty.

Do I send the 1600h back and get the 3400h? Will I notice that much of a difference? Is the 1600h going to be fine, if I found the 2400h to be good enough?

gibbsy

Obviously you know that the 3400 doesn't have eARC just vanilla ARC. If the question is whether the 3400 is a better audio option than the 1600 then the answer is a simple yes. It is at least two tiers above the 1600 on the Denon model table, this years example would be the X3700 which would set you back £999.

The 3400 will have more headroom than the 1600 and 2400 as well as having the superior edition of Audyssey in XT32 which could make all the difference in a difficult room. The question as to purching a unit with 30 days warranty, that is firmly in your court.

TonyM82

Thanks for replying.

Oh it doesn’t have eARC? The Denon website lists it as having it.

The listing for the 3400h where it’s for sale says it has eARC also. But I was surprised by this as my 2400h obviously didn’t get the update otherwise I wouldn’t have sold it.

I’m kind of looking for one to probably only last me a year or so until the 2021 receivers where they would hopefully have more than one HDMI 2.1 input. Hence why I’m only looking to spend £400 on a receiver and then maybe go big next year.

gibbsy

The 3400 does have eARC, my mistake on my original reply. The 2400 didn't get it. The 3400 had it by firmware upgrade although some were probably sold late on with it from the factory.

TonyM82

Yeah, the place I’ve found it is a proper shop and have said it’s been fully tested and is immaculate, so I’m really tempted to just send the 1600h back tomorrow when the courier shows up, and order the 3400h.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
I can only speak personally but I'd be going for the 3400 myself.

TonyM82

Hi. Thanks everyone for your help. Having looked into the 3400h I can see it’s with the same company I have purchased the 1600h from. So they’re going to confirm they’ve definitely got the 3400h. As long as they have and it’s not an error on the system, they’ll take payment of the difference and then swap them over tomorrow.

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming To Amazon Prime Video in August 2020. Tom's Thumbs.
Top Bottom