Denon AVR x1600 issue

Update and advice needed.

Returned the 1600 just in case it was faulty, decided to go for the 3700 so big swing from my starting point.

Anyway appears this has a different fault - the audio cut out 3 times whilst watching a movie (for about a second each time, the movie was still playing fine).

So I’m going to return it but wondering whether I stick with the 3700 or go back to the 1600.

Reason is I didn’t really notice any difference in sound quality to justify the extra £620. In fact the base sounded worse then on the 1600.

Maybe my 7000i speakers simply aren’t good enough to go with such a good amp and in a weird way the 1600 might be better suited?
Why are you blaming the amp? How do you know it was not the source?

Why are you blaming the amp? How do you know it was not the source?
At the time it was an educated guess based on the fact that the only thing I had changed was the amp. Everything else is the same. If it was a source problem then it surely would have happened at least once in the time I had the 1600.

For reference I now know its definitely the amp because it’s happened on 2 different sources now (app on the tv and app on sky q box).

At the time it was an educated guess based on the fact that the only thing I had changed was the amp. Everything else is the same.

For reference I now know its definitely the amp because it’s happened via 2 different sources now (app on tv and app on sky q box).
Sounds like a handshaking problem. Don’t think the AVR is faulty. It can happen on all the sources. It did on mine for a while.

Sounds like a handshaking problem. Don’t think the AVR is faulty. It can happen on all the sources. It did on mine for a while.
I think the first issue I was having with the 1600 was definitely a handshake issue, but the symptoms of this 3700 issue (audio cutting out for a second) doesn’t seem to match the typical handshake issues that people report.

At the time it was an educated guess based on the fact that the only thing I had changed was the amp. Everything else is the same. If it was a source problem then it surely would have happened at least once in the time I had the 1600.

For reference I now know its definitely the amp because it’s happened on 2 different sources now (app on the tv and app on sky q box).
But to be fair you were claiming before that there was nothing wrong with your HDMI cables, but now you have changed them and seen a big improvement.

Perhaps the fact that you are now on your second amp and considering swapping it out again is a bit of a clue?

But to be fair you were claiming before that there was nothing wrong with your HDMI cables, but now you have changed them and seen a big improvement.

Perhaps the fact that you are now on your second amp and considering swapping it out again is a bit of a clue?
I’ve never claimed that my cables were fine.In my very 2nd post on this thread I actually said:

Thanks, I want to give the hdmi cables a try just to take that out the equation. The ones I got on Amazon were about £10 each, it said it was 4K and high speed etc, but may try some better quality.

So I was completely open to trying better cables as per the suggestions made by other users.

RE the clue part, not sure what you mean however i don’t exactly enjoy the hassle of having to keep swapping amps.

I’ve never claimed that my cables were fine.In my very 2nd post on this thread I actually said:

Thanks, I want to give the hdmi cables a try just to take that out the equation. The ones I got on Amazon were about £10 each, it said it was 4K and high speed etc, but may try some better quality.

So I was completely open to trying better cables as per the suggestions made by other users.

RE the clue part, not sure what you mean however i don’t exactly enjoy the hassle of having to keep swapping amps.
You actually said:
Anyway I went back to my old HMRC lead for the sky to AVR connection and so far not had any issues with CEC on. The cable isn't certified, its about 10 years old but very thick so I assume good quality.
I'll assume you meant HDMI and not "HMRC"............

Yes I meant hdmi but I wouldn’t have tried my old cable, or indeed an even newer certified one, if I thought (or claimed) my existing cables were fine. I was happy to accept the problem with the 1600 could be caused by the cables hence why I was completely open to trying others.

Which app was it?

It was the Disney plus app on the tv and Netflix on the sky q.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom