Denon AVR-X1500 to Xbox One X for Atmos

-Spike-

Hi all,

So a question from a real newbie, be gentle please :confused:

I've recently changed my Denon 3801 for the AVR-X1500 and have decided that I will install some Atmos speakers.
I've always used optical for the sound on my Xbox but I've just discovered that this will not be compatible with Atmos.
So how do I wire the Xbox and Receiver to get Atmos? I understand it's through HDMI but would that be HDMI out to the "GAME" HDMI on the Receiver?
I'm using the Monitor HDMI on the Receiver for the setup screens but it isn't a 4k compatible HDMI lead. The Xbox will be the only device connected at the moment.

I couldn't see the answer in the Denon manual so any help here will be greatly appreciated.

mushii

Distinguished Member
Just connect the XBox HDMI Out to the Game HDMI Input on your AVR input as you have described. That will pass the requisite audio from the XBox to the AVR.

-Spike-

Just connect the XBox HDMI Out to the Game HDMI Input on your AVR input as you have described. That will pass the requisite audio from the XBox to the AVR.
And it’s as simple as that? I guess also disconnecting the optical?
Thank you Mushii.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Remember to configure the XBox to BITSTREAM audio via its HDMI output or you'll not get Atmos.

Xbox One Settings

1. Navigate to the Xbox One settings menu, and select Display and Sound.

2. Choose the Audio Output box.

3. Under the heading ‘Speaker Audio’, set the HDMI Audio option to Bitstream.

4. Doing stage three causes the Bitstream Format box at the bottom of the page to ungrey, so that you can make adjustments to it. Select this box, and then choose the ‘Dolby Atmos For Home Theater (HDMI ONLY)’ option.

5. At this point you will be prompted to download the free Dolby Access app from the Xbox Store.

6. Once you’ve downloaded the app and launched it, you will be asked how you want to experience Dolby Atmos. Choose the Home Theater option or the headphone option, depending on what sound equipment you’re going to be using.

7. If you choose the Home Theater option, the Dolby app then asks you to confirm that your AV system is Dolby Atmos capable.

8. The Dolby app next tells you to power up and connect your home theater to your Xbox One via HDMI (which you should have already done if you’ve been following this guide!).

9. The app then checks the compatibility of your external equipment, and if all goes well you should quickly be returned to the Dolby App and basically be ready to rock. In Atmos. It’s worth saying, though, that I experienced an error message at this stage, telling me that my connected device (in this case a Samsung K950 Dolby Atmos soundbar) wasn’t registering as Atmos capable.

http://blogs-images.forbes.com/john...olby-atmos-home-accented-logo-gutter-tout.jpg

-Spike-

Remember to configure the XBox to BITSTREAM audio via its HDMI output or you'll not get Atmos.

Xbox One Settings

1. Navigate to the Xbox One settings menu, and select Display and Sound.

2. Choose the Audio Output box.

3. Under the heading ‘Speaker Audio’, set the HDMI Audio option to Bitstream.

4. Doing stage three causes the Bitstream Format box at the bottom of the page to ungrey, so that you can make adjustments to it. Select this box, and then choose the ‘Dolby Atmos For Home Theater (HDMI ONLY)’ option.

5. At this point you will be prompted to download the free Dolby Access app from the Xbox Store.

6. Once you’ve downloaded the app and launched it, you will be asked how you want to experience Dolby Atmos. Choose the Home Theater option or the headphone option, depending on what sound equipment you’re going to be using.

7. If you choose the Home Theater option, the Dolby app then asks you to confirm that your AV system is Dolby Atmos capable.

8. The Dolby app next tells you to power up and connect your home theater to your Xbox One via HDMI (which you should have already done if you’ve been following this guide!).

9. The app then checks the compatibility of your external equipment, and if all goes well you should quickly be returned to the Dolby App and basically be ready to rock. In Atmos. It’s worth saying, though, that I experienced an error message at this stage, telling me that my connected device (in this case a Samsung K950 Dolby Atmos soundbar) wasn’t registering as Atmos capable.
Wow what a helpful reply!
Thank you dante01. I have to also say how helpful your posts on speaker crossover and bass management have been to me. :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom