DENON AVR-S920W doesn't recognize PC correctly

Spawncalibur

Novice Member
Reaction score
I just got the DENON AVR-S920W but the video & audio won't work right for my PC even though I have no issues with my older Yamaha & Onkyo receivers. I get no audio options and few resolution options. I tried my on-board motherboard HDMI but the results were the same. I have a GTX 1050 ti and tried many times to do clean re-installs of the Nvidia drivers with Display Driver Uninstaller, as well as unplugging cables for a while and trying different cables & ports. I tried my older PC with a GTX 650 but again no audio or all resolution options.

I have added screenshots of my Nvidia Control Panel & Management. As you can see it says "Corrector: DVI - PC Display", however I'm using HDMI so thats odd. Only a few resolutions options, no 1080 or 2160 for my HDTV. On digital audio it lists everything as "no audio capable display available". In Management it lists my monitor as "Generic Non-PnP Monitor", I'm using a HDTV which is a 4K Haier 48UF2500.

I don't know what to do, I'd appreciate any help. Thanks

[edit]- I connected to a PC monitor and it worked fine. So I'm confused why the audio receiver won't work through to that HDTV. My work around is to have two separate connections where one HMDI goes to my HDTV and my DVI to my audio receiver, which oddly would only work if I unplugged the HDMI output from my TV, otherwise it wouldn't work.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 101
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 84
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Ok thanks, yeah I think the HDMI cables I have aren't getting the full 18Gbps bandwidth if that matters so I'll order some new cables.

Well I got my new cables and still the same results:facepalm: The AVR just doesn't want to pass my(or any) PC to my HDTV. Its very odd, I didn't expect this when I bought the AVR. I'll have to save up for a new HDTV and hope that works I guess, I don't know what else to do.

Maybe mention the problem to the shop where you bought the AVR?

Sorry the new cables didn't fix the problem. That is definitely not correct behaviour, and I would say that you could report it to the retailer as a fault and ask for an exchange.

EDIT: One last thing, I do have to turn my devices on in a particular order for the HDMI handshake to work correctly. So, AVR, TV, then PC. Rebooting the PC will have the same effect though, so you have probably already tried that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe mention the problem to the shop where you bought the AVR?

Bought it online and doubt they'd be able to help with this specific issue.

Sorry the new cables didn't fix the problem. That is definitely not correct behaviour, and I would say that you could report it to the retailer as a fault and ask for an exchange.

EDIT: One last thing, I do have to turn my devices on in a particular order for the HDMI handshake to work correctly. So, AVR, TV, then PC. Rebooting the PC will have the same effect though, so you have probably already tried that.

Yeah I've tried every combinations of order and restarted my PC probably more than I ever have. Can't get it to handshake correctly to save my life. I think rather than getting a new AVR might be best to just get a better brand & more up to date HDTV than my junk Haier.

Yeah I've tried every combinations of order and restarted my PC probably more than I ever have. Can't get it to handshake correctly to save my life. I think rather than getting a new AVR might be best to just get a better brand & more up to date HDTV than my junk Haier.

Ah, yes, just read the edit to your first post, if removing the TV from the chain makes it work properly, then as you say, it seems like there is a compatibility issue between your new AVR and your TV.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom