Denon AVR-S750H to Samsung TV issue

schlitz

Novice Member
Ever since I bought this receiver a year and a half ago, this has been an ongoing issue.

Ideally I want my sources (Spectrum DVR and Chromecast with Google TV) plugged into the receiver, and then the receiver outputting to my Samsung UN55ES6100 TV (all connections via HDMI). When I do this, no matter which input is selected on the receiver (CBL/SAT or Chromecast/Media Player), periodically the screen will go black for a second (audio is uninterrupted) and then when it comes back I get the input screen in the upper left, as if I had just changed inputs on the receiver, but I didn't. Sometimes this happens as often as every 10-15 minutes and it's incredibly annoying.

I finally went ahead and plugged the DVR and Chromecast directly into the TV and then TV audio via optical cable to the receiver. This fixes the issue, but I lose the on-screen display of the receiver (for volume and such), and I feel like the receiver has a better video processor than my 10 y/o TV because the picture just looks slightly better to me when running HDMI connections through the receiver.

I'm assuming this has to be something with the HDMI connection from the receiver to the TV. HDMI cable is relatively new (1 year), had same problem with a different cable. Is my TV just too old and having difficulty with the HDMI connection from the receiver? Is this an HDCP issue? Handshake issue? Any input is appreciated. I bought this receiver to be the main hub of my a/v system, and it really stinks that I can't utilize the full features of it. Thanks!

gibbsy

It does sound like a HDMI issue. It could be related to the upscaling you are using on the Denon. I would turn off all video processing on the Denon and let the video through unaltered. I know this is not what you want but if the TV didn't drop the connection then at least you would have ruled out or ruled in the extra processing as the fault. It really doesn't take much to upset HDMI as in reality it is a crap connection. Could very well be a handshake issue when scaling on the Denon is involved.

schlitz

Novice Member
It does sound like a HDMI issue. It could be related to the upscaling you are using on the Denon. I would turn off all video processing on the Denon and let the video through unaltered. I know this is not what you want but if the TV didn't drop the connection then at least you would have ruled out or ruled in the extra processing as the fault. It really doesn't take much to upset HDMI as in reality it is a crap connection. Could very well be a handshake issue when scaling on the Denon is involved.
I'll double check video settings on the Denon but I don't think I had it set to upscale anything. The TV isn't dropping the connection--the input change graphic that pops up after the black screen is definitely coming from the Denon, not the TV. It's the same graphic that pops up after you physically change the input on the Denon, except the input never changed and I never touched anything.

gibbsy

Try moving the HDMI inputs closer to the HDMI monitor out. That would be inputs 4 and 5. Turn both TV and the Denon off and disconnect from the mains before moving HDMI inputs. Hot plugging can lead to problems.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom