Denon AVR-S650H + Jamo S 626 - tweeters distorted/crackling at certain frequencies

davidR4

Novice Member
Hello everyone,

after I was able to learn a lot here by reading along, I have bought a home theater system according to my budget, consisting of:

• Denon AVR-S650H
  • Jamo S626 HCS 5.0

I have the problem that the all the five tweeters of my speakers clearly "scratch" or produce a distorted sound at certain frequencies. This is especially audible at piano.

I have proceeded as follows or have tried the following solutions to the problem:

• Changed the cabling: with/without banana plugs, both terminals supplied with separate cables/used a cable with a bridge at the speakers.
  • Reset the AVR to factory settings
  • AVR manually set to 6 Ohms
  • tried different sources: streaming via TIDAL/Spotify, audio via HDMI, audio via optical

Then, of course, I first suspected the speakers themselves. Luckily had another amplifier there for testing, namely a SABAJ A4. Was quite baffled when with this amplifier the distortion was no longer present. Same wiring. So now I suspect the Denon AVR.

I have already turned off all software preprocessors like "Restorer".

Unfortunately, I lost the Audyssey calibration microphone, have already ordered a replacement. But even without calibrating, there shouldn't be such serious problems, right?

I can attach the complete configuration of the AVR here, but actually everything is in factory state. Ran through configuration wizard, set front L and front R to "large", levels I left all untouched.

Does anyone here have any other ideas of what I could try? I'd also be happy to make a recording of the distortion/scratching if it's not entirely clear what I mean.
I hope this isn't a hardware fault, as the system is performing great otherwise. It's also not a very audible issue, on most movies and music I don't hear it, just with isolated sounds in certain frequencies like higher piano octaves.

Thanks in advance!

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN800B 8K TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom