Denon AVR question with PJ and TV.

saint_ade

I have a Denon AVR X2500H with outputs to an Epson TW5300 PJ and a recently added Samsung Q90R QLED TV. Watching on either is OK but the TV always comes on as well as the PJ. Not a problem as the TV is behind the screen but it is annoying. Turn off the TV and the PJ goes off too. Then it gets weird...the Roku in one of the AVR inputs works on either PJ or TV but the Amazon Fire stick or Freesat box need the TV on to show on the PJ. Gets even weirder with 3D on the PJ...I have to disconnect the TV HDMI completely before the 3D setting appears on the PJ. I can't help thinking I'm missing some pass through/loop back setting or something...has anyone had similar issues and found a solution? The TV is clearly bossing the rest about but I can't figure out why.

jonnie5

Novice Member
It’s to do with the HDMI arc you need to use the correct inputs/outputs for the arc to work properly

dante01

Distinguished Member
If you look in the HDMI configurations then you'll find a setting entitled POWER OFF CONTROL. Turn this off and the behaviour you describe should desist.

Other issues such as the inability to access certain types of video relate to the fact that both device's EDIDs are in effect despite both the TV and the PJ not being simultaneously used. THe The source device will only output video that complies with the capabilities of the least capable device so if the TV isn't 3D capable then the source wouldn't be able to output this type of signal. THe way around this is to either dig down into the AV receiver's settings and turn the MONITOR output not in use off or to simply turn the unused display or PJ off at the mains supply. TEither will prevent the unused device outputting its EDID back to the source.

Denon do not unfortunately equipe their remotes with an HDMI output button that would make swirching on the fly easier.

Last edited:

Streamer73

As above regarding CEC but your Denon has quick select buttons so you can set the HDMI outputs with these - set your source and HDMI output for the TV (Monitor 1) and assign it to quick select 1 (press and hold the relevant button on the Denon) then do the same for quick select 2 but set the HDMI Video Output to Monitor 2.

You should then be able to use the quick select buttons on the remote to force the HDMI out to Monitor 1 (TV) or Monitor 2 (PJ).

(Edited to add a Harmony remote will let you add discrete commands for HDMI Video Out as part of an activity so if you have one of those you don’t need to worry about Quick Select)

jonnie5

Novice Member
As above regarding CEC but your Denon has quick select buttons so you can set the HDMI outputs with these - set your source and HDMI output for the TV (Monitor 1) and assign it to quick select 1 (press and hold the relevant button on the Denon) then do the same for quick select 2 but set the HDMI Video Output to Monitor 2.

You should then be able to use the quick select buttons on the remote to force the HDMI out to Monitor 1 (TV) or Monitor 2 (PJ).

(Edited to add a Harmony remote will let you add discrete commands for HDMI Video Out as part of an activity so if you have one of those you don’t need to worry about Quick Select)
👍

saint_ade

Thanks all...giving this a try tonight!

saint_ade

Many thanks for this Streamer. It now works perfectly - my default buttons set to TV format and the 4 quick select buttons set up for PJ using Freesat, Bluray, 4K Fire Stick and Roku. I can't believe I've owned Denon amps for about 15 years and never noticed those buttons before on the remote! I looked in the manual as well last night and it doesn't really explain what they are for or how to use them in layman's terms, so thank you for your feedback - it now all works perfectly! :)

Streamer73

No worries and glad it’s working for you now - I never used them until I got a projector either and had the same issue (although I use the Harmony to set the HDMI output now as part of each activity).

You can assign other settings too:

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom