Denon AVR Music files via USB

lithepj

Standard Member
I have recently purchased a Denon AVR –X2700H Receiver. I am trying to play music files via a USB drive. Each music file is a MPEG-4 audio file with a .m4a file extension. None of the files are copyright protected. It plays some of the files without a problem (showing as AAC files) but it skips others with the message “Unable to play media due to unsupported format”. I cannot see any difference in the format of the audio files it will play and those that it will not. Can anyone suggest an explanation and how I can remedy the problem. Thanks.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
M4a is a container not an actual music format, it could for example contain compressed AAC or lossless ALAC format music amongst others.

Do you know the exact format contained within your m4a files at all?

Upvote 0

lithepj

Standard Member
They are all music files within Itunes from various sources - some ripped from CDs, some purchased from the Itunes store and others from various sources. I thought they were all AAC (presumably compressed). The ones that will play on the Denon receiver are showing as AAC. They previously all played via USB on an Onkyo Receiver and they all play on a USB drive in a car. I just don't understand why the Denon Receiver is playing some and rejecting others.

Upvote 0

Jamie

Distinguished Member
Is there anything obviously different, have you been buying music from iTunes for a while, purchased music from before 2009 could be DRM protected.

Try selecting some track and using the get info menu option, look for the section for "kind" in the get info box.

Upvote 0

lithepj

Standard Member
Thanks Jamie. None of the tracks are DRM protected. The Denon Receiver is obviously picking up something different on some of the tracks but I find it strange that all would play on a USB drive in an Onkyo Receiver and in the car. They also all play in Itunes and on an Ipod. If I cannot find any answers I will have to use Airplay or stream from Itunes but at the minute I cannot find any difference under "Properties" in the files that will play and those that wont.

Upvote 0

[email protected]

Novice Member
Hi @lithepj, I have been souring forums looking for an answer to the exact same problem you posted about back in February, I don't suppose you have been able to resolve the issue with some files playing and others not? It's super frustrating so I'd love to know if there is a solution :)

Upvote 0

lithepj

Standard Member
Hi @lithepj, I have been souring forums looking for an answer to the exact same problem you posted about back in February, I don't suppose you have been able to resolve the issue with some files playing and others not? It's super frustrating so I'd love to know if there is a solution :)
Sorry I have never found the answer even after contacting Denon Customer care. The Denon Receiver will only play certain MPEG-4 audio files via a USB drive and I cannot discern any difference between those it will play and those it won't (more of the latter to be honest). All music files would play on my previous Onkyo receiver via USB and they also still play in my car via USB. They will also all play in itunes and if there was a problem with format I would have thought it would show up there. I have taken to playing music by streaming from itunes to the Denon unit via Airplay. Not ideal but it was driving me mad! If you ever find a solution let me know but I just couldn't solve the issue.

Upvote 0

[email protected]

Novice Member
Sorry I have never found the answer even after contacting Denon Customer care. The Denon Receiver will only play certain MPEG-4 audio files via a USB drive and I cannot discern any difference between those it will play and those it won't (more of the latter to be honest). All music files would play on my previous Onkyo receiver via USB and they also still play in my car via USB. They will also all play in itunes and if there was a problem with format I would have thought it would show up there. I have taken to playing music by streaming from itunes to the Denon unit via Airplay. Not ideal but it was driving me mad! If you ever find a solution let me know but I just couldn't solve the
Hia, so, I just experimented with a comment from Jamie earlier in your thread and saved one folder with only music from 2010 onwards and one folder with everything I have from 2009 and earlier. All the tracks in the 2010 onwards folder play - no problems. None of the tracks in the 2009 and earlier will play. Issue resolved but definitely not solved - to play all tracks I’ll have to stream via my lappy too.

Upvote 0

lithepj

Standard Member
I've has another look at this. I think it is something to do with the encoding. The music files that play seem to have a bit rate of 256 kbps or 256 kbps (VBR). The latter usually have been encoded via versions of Itunes 10 and Quicktime 7. Admittedly they may have been 2009 or prior but I have a song I purchased from the Itunes store in 2018 with a bit rate of 256kbps (doesn't say how it was encoded) which plays. It doesn't really solve the issue unfortunately as we need all music files to play!

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom