• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Denon AVR-F100 given up, replacement ideas?

Deeps1987

Standard Member
Hi guys/guys, this is my first post here at AV forums.

Basically, my current Denon AVR-F100 is giving up, it plays analogue content fine, but anything digital isn't decoding properly, as far as I can tell, because all I get is weird noises from my speakers.
This is my second Denon AVR-F100 set in around 6~7 years.

My current set-up is attached (excuse my drawing skills)

My XBOX 360, PS3, and PC are all connected to my TV via HDMI, the TV then sends the sound via a single Optical to my Denon which then sends the sound to my Wharfedale Diamond 9.1's. (The PC is also connected to a monitor via DVI and to the amp via digital Coaxial)

I need at least one optical input (from TV) on the amp and one digital coaxial input (from PC), or two optical inputs (TV & PC) and an ipod connection or a phono/3.5mm jack input)

I need another system to process the digital inputs and ipod, I also wouldn't mind a system with DAB if possible.
Any suggestions? Budget is less than £500

Also, as my desk was custom made, I need it to be a mini system if possible so it can take the place of the Denon.

Thanks

Attachments

• Set-up.jpg
    Set-up.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 615

xxm4ch1nexx

Standard Member
I used to own the f100 what a beautiful av system that was! Gold three piece unit I wish they still made them like that. nowadays all we get is plasticy units that dont sound nowhere near as good as the baby f100.

Regarding your issue have you tried connecting the xbox or ps3 directly to your f100? My tv has issues sending out digital audio via its optical.

IMHO If you dont need any of the new features of a modern avr then I would spend the £500 on getting the f100 repaired as no mini system in that price bracket would even come close to the sound quality of what you already have even my denon 2310 does not sound (or look) as good!

Deeps1987

Standard Member
I used to own the f100 what a beautiful av system that was! Gold three piece unit I wish they still made them like that. nowadays all we get is plasticy units that dont sound nowhere near as good as the baby f100.

Regarding your issue have you tried connecting the xbox or ps3 directly to your f100? My tv has issues sending out digital audio via its optical.

IMHO If you dont need any of the new features of a modern avr then I would spend the £500 on getting the f100 repaired as no mini system in that price bracket would even come close to the sound quality of what you already have even my denon 2310 does not sound (or look) as good!

Thanks for the reply, I had a look around when my amp broke and didn't find anything decent and the right size to replace it with.
As I mentioned in my original post this was my second F100 system.

The first one wasn't sending any output to the speakers so I had to link the main unit to the power amp and connect the speakers to the power amp, it also had a weak tuner, hence I bought the second system to replace it.

The second system then stopped decoding digital inputs and, if I turned the unit off, the next time I powered it on, only one speaker would work until the unit warmed up, hence I left my system on 24/7.

I decided to salvage the working parts from both units to get one fully working unit, so I took them to a repair shop.

£30 later and I have a fully working unit. Turns out the unit had dry joints, which explains why it worked after it was on for a while and heated up. The guy at the shop re-soldered the joints on my second unit (the one with the least faults) and its like new :) Very Happy. (keeping the first unit just incase)

As I now own 2 full sets of Denon F100 systems, I have listed the 2 DVD players and 2 Power amps on ebay as I dont use them.

Thanks for the advice

Last edited by a moderator:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom