Denon avr behaviour 6300h is driving me crazy please help

Cyrusgsxr

Hey good peeps , here is my issue with the Denon avr 6300h , It randomly switches its input to ONLINE MUSIC and also randomly switches its main zone off leaving either zone 2 or 3 active which i do not use or need ever ? It also refuses to up date via ethernet and will only accept updates over wifi even though both connections pass the diagnostics test ???

I hope someone will come up with a solution to my problem as it is driving me insane ill explain the steps i have followed but first ill explain my set up and kindly thank all and any member who can help troubleshoot the problem

set up is as follows

Denon AVR 6300H with Auro 3d upgrade
9 x B&W M1 mk2 2x B&W M1 mk1 L/R REAR
Panasonic txp50gt50b 1080i
XTZ 12 edge
Pioneer 565a sacd
Xbox X for main streaming and blu ray duties with Atmos upgrade 4k
Chromecast ultra 4k
Firestick 4k
Phillips hue x8 gu10 full colour
Logitech Harmony elite 1 x bridge and remote
Amazon echo dot
Amazon echo spot
Google home mini

The background is that I pieced together all these parts circa January 2019 and all worked flawlessly for the first 6 or 7 months , I had the Denon set to auto update via ethernet assuming 300mbs would be the best option and auto update would be the best option .

Around May June this year I got notification of my first Denon update ! It took me several days to discover the amp would only update via wi-fi ??? and even though I had made a back up of settings prior to the update my Denon has displayed all the above problems even with a roll back???

my troubleshooting route was first port of call Denon I subsequently re set my Denons internet options followed by a full factory reset . DIDNT WORK .

I then reset my Harmony elite , google home app and account, Alexa app and account then kept my voice commands to a minimum . DIDNT WORK .

I since contacted Denon customer service who asked me to try to replicate the issue insisting it was a cec command error so I changed all my HDMI cables . DIDNT WORK.

To summerise I still have no Idea what is causing this issue it is making a mockery of my set up which otherwise has no associated issues of buzzing or high frequency distortion tagged to the Denon , I am indeed stumped and Denons final resolution was that I need to ship the AVR to one of their repair authorised dealers .

This is an intermittent yet regular problem that destroys my enjoyment of what should be a very good home Atmos system and I am sure it may be something to do with rouge internet commands .

Any helpfull advice is greatly appreciated . Good Karma to all

dobrykamil

Hi.

Can you get USB firmware update from the link below? (serial number required) If so, let me know and I'll send you instruction on how to update firmware from service mode. I suspect issue with main microprocessor or its firmware.

Last edited:

Cyrusgsxr

Hi thanks for your reply dobrykamil , I should have pointed out I am in UK and have a UK model afaik , I used your link to navigate to the UK / EU updates page https://firmware.denon.eu/index.php

you will see on this link they offer the same for UK models , however it clearly states that this is for NON Auro 3d upgrade versions and mine has the Auro 3d upgrade so would still require an online update to re activate it , Ive read the change log and there is mention of re setting the the internal microprocessor via cursor up and cursor down buttons whilst powering on ! would you recommend I try this approach first ?

I have downloaded the update zip files and changelog plus pdf instructions however I am loath to go through the entire re installation given the fact I will again need to update via wi-fi to re gain my Auro 3d and possibly end up with the same result what do you think ?

dobrykamil

Yes, reset to factory setting is recommended. After this, don't change/setup anything just operate amplifier for a while, see if the amp will chance input source itself, check if unit can access update servier via wired network, and hopefully you'll see message that unit already have the latest update. Perhaps there was and issue during automatic online update, and some part of the firmware code wasn't written properly ( some older Onkyo receivers got no sound after FW update, hence Onkyo decided to allow for updates via usb only)

Cyrusgsxr

Hi heres what ive done so far , I pressed cursor up and cursor down simultaneously whilst powering on the unit , this gave the desired result of refreshing the microprocessor , I think you were spot on with your diagnosis there , I had to re run Audyssey set up and the settings were then manually stored to quick input4 for dolby atmos , I then unplugged the avr and it lost all Audyssey settings ??

The quick settings button worked and stored my settings for Atmos however I had to re run Audyssey a second time to enable multi eq for watching tv , so far so good the amp has not switched off or switched inputs and I did not lose my Auro 3d upgrade , it is currently set for wi-fi internet and have tested the server it is showing as up to date Firmware ver 0461-1138-2302-0525 with Auro upgrade installed .

I have made minor tweaks to the channel levels and am blown away with the quality of the sound it is almost as though I have purchased a new amp .

can you tell me is it possible to copy my quick 4 settings to other inputs such as tv audio or do I still need to manually configure these ?

thanks ever so much for your help in this problem solving exercise I will keep you updated on whether the problem is solved or whether further interaction is required , Karma bro

Cyrusgsxr

Unfortunately all above has not cured the problem so back to the drawing board have you got any further suggestions ?

Cyrusgsxr

ive since reset the internet connections so will see if problem persists

dobrykamil

The only thing I would do at this point, is the "forced" F/W update which writes code to all sub-systems, even if they have the latest version installed. Perhaps micro processor itself is dodgy. Try also to run unit disconnected from internet.

Cyrusgsxr

Ive all ready followed the latter and disconnected the avr from the internet , it has ran all day circa 14 hours with zero problems at the same time I have reset my laptop which runs on same network as I suspect that is where the problem may lie maybe sending some rouge signal to switch the avr ? I will run it like this for a couple of days and see if the problem rears its ugly head again and keep you posted , again many thanks for your help

Cyrusgsxr

oh one thing I did note was that when the unit switched to online music it either went to tune in radio or Bluetooth and I noticed there was a 4 song que in the Bluetooth section that I had instructed months ago ? is there any way to clear the online music/Bluetooth que without a full firmware flash ?

Warf

Standard Member
For the internet radio issue.....you have to manually stop the stream before switching away from internet radio with the stop button on the remote.
The other issues are likely a faulty unit. Send it back. I had long periods of no faults after resetting but they always came back.
Denon's AVR's a plagued with network faults.

Last edited:

Cyrusgsxr

hey guys im starting to think that the problem lies somewhere between my harmony remote plus fire stick and the avr , heres what ive done so far

fully reset the following hardware and their respective hubs and apps on

amazon alexa
harmony elite
phillips hue
audssey multi eq
denon avr app
heos

this has taken me some time to accomplish and i ran the system for 2 days without any problems

on day 3 i decided to add my 4k firestick into my harmony set up !

this is where things started to get really wierd as once the firestick had been added i did a scan for further devices on my smart home section of harmony and it found a Denon avr x2500h ?? wot the @$%& I thought as I DONT HAVE ONE OF THESE , so I added it any way to see if I could control it ? low and behold it controls my zone 2 on the X6300h . Very strange i thought so I did a bit of internet searching and discovered this

it transpires that although the avr is a single device each zone MAIN ,ZONE2 ,ZONE3 all need to be added to the harmony as 3 separate devices , in hind sight this makes logical sense IF I was using the zoning function .

once I had added the 3 separate devices to the harmony the problems started and the quick select buttons 1 and 2 failed to recall my settings ??

im suspecting that the firestick is interfering with zone 2 and recalling that zone and its settings

So next job reset firesticks wish me luck

dante01

Distinguished Member
it transpires that although the avr is a single device each zone MAIN ,ZONE2 ,ZONE3 all need to be added to the harmony as 3 separate devices , in hind sight this makes logical sense IF I was using the zoning function .

once I had added the 3 separate devices to the harmony the problems started and the quick select buttons 1 and 2 failed to recall my settings ??

im suspecting that the firestick is interfering with zone 2 and recalling that zone and its settings

So next job reset firesticks wish me luck

This is not the case. Simply use the zone command to switch between which Zones youe are controlling. If you switch the AV receiver to Zone 2 then the volume and source commands sent from your Harmony remote to the AV receiver will control Zone 2. The same goes for standby and source. Switch back to the MAIN zone and the Harmony will once again then cntrol the MAIN zone.

Just ensure that the associated Zone commands are included for your AV receiver within your activities on the Harmony and you can then readilly switch between which zone you wish to control using the same AVR device (the X6300) and without having to add different devices for each zone.

The Z1, Z2 andd MAIN buttons on your original remote control which zone you are in control of. THe associated discrete commannand will be included on Logitech's database for the AVR-X6300.

Last edited:

Cyrusgsxr

TBH I am a little confused to your reply dante01 , I have never set up or required to use the zone functions on the x6300 . I know how to terminate them or switch between them that is not the issue .

the issue is the fact that the zone switching has occurred in an erroneous manner via internet and what I am suggesting is that the problem lies between harmony and firestick

Now please forgive me as at start of 2019 I had zero knowledge of smart home devices and how they worked . What I do vaguely recall from earlier in the year is discovering the unknown ( Denon avr x2500h ) in my harmony app ? I may have and probably did add it out of curiosity back then , so what I have experienced since is random zone control of zone 2 switching to online music or switching the unit off completely .

What strikes me as very very strange is that when i fully reset my harmony and added the devices as zone MAIN , ZONE2 , ZONE3 . It has since interfered with my quick select buttons and recalls functions that i made back in January when I bought all the kit ?

I may add I have factory reset the x6300 twice and the unit functions perfectly when not connected to the internet ! yet as soon as i re introduced to the harmony the zone switching starts again , now i suspect the firestick is to blame so ive today reset it , otherwise i think the problem must lie in the harmony servers , I guess the only way to go is delete and re create a new harmony account if all else fails ?

dante01

Distinguished Member
THe firestick is not likely to be the cause. There's no means by which it can fascilitate zone switching, not even via HDMI CEC. Only Denon discrete IR or network commands can do this. Despite the SCAN picking up another DEnon receiver, you shouldn't of added it unless you have such a receiver. I have had network routers detect devices and report them as bein something other than they actually are in the past so can only assume that some devices are using conflicting identification.. I'd remove the X2500 and simply add devices you actually own and that are present in your home.

For the Harmony remote to be doing this, there's have to be a discrete zone command included with one or more of the activities. Ensure that this isn;t the case.

I gues the worst case scenario is resetting the Harmony and starting from stratch?

Cyrusgsxr

thanks dante01 yes I have done all of the above , the only item in my arsenal that hasn't been fully reset thus far is my xbox so if problems persist it will be next in the firing line , will keep you guys updated and thanks for all help .

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom