denon avr audio problem

jack654

Novice Member
I have a Denon AVR-x3700H, and a Sony OLED XBR-77A9G TV. Both fairly recent products.

I have CEC turned off (I want to control the units individually). And the only connection is the ARC hdmi cable between the amp and the TV.

I turn the TV on (to watch netflix), and then the amp, set the amp to tv/audio, and often I get no sound (90% of the time). While leaving the TV on, I turn the amp off/on, and then it's fine. Sometimes it takes 2 tries, but usually on the 2nd try the audio comes on fine.

Any thoughts as to what the problem might be?

Thx.

John7

Sounds like a HDMI handshake issue. The TV needs to be powered on before the amp, it’s to do with the HDCP (copy protection) protocol.

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
ARC has CEC as a prerequisite. Since you have disabled CEC, you are denying the TV - AVR connection any chance of carrying out the ARC handshake. Although you are using manual selection, the success of this handshake-less approach is very dependent on timing and good luck. I'm actually surprised you get it to to work at all.

The easiest thing to do is enable CEC (and disable specific features such as power management, if possible). If this is not feasible, install an optical / digital cable from the TV to the AVR. Otherwise, the current trial and error + hope is about the only chance you have.

ARC has CEC as a prerequisite. Since you have disabled CEC, you are denying the TV - AVR connection any chance of carrying out the ARC handshake. Although you are using manual selection, the success of this handshake-less approach is very dependent on timing and good luck. I'm actually surprised you get it to to work at all.

The easiest thing to do is enable CEC (and disable specific features such as power management, if possible). If this is not feasible, install an optical / digital cable from the TV to the AVR. Otherwise, the current trial and error + hope is about the only chance you have.
I hate CEC, but have to enable it on my X3700H and Panny TV for ARC purposes. I don't know what options are available on your TV, but on both the Panny and the Denon there are options to disable the power on/off function of CEC which limits it's capacity to cause havoc.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J Thoughts, madVR Processor & Sonus faber Lumina II Reviews + Movie & TV roundup
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom