Denon AVR-889 Input Setup

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by acjuelich, Jun 29, 2015.

1. acjuelich

acjuelich
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone,

To start off with, I'm an IT guy and not really and AV guy. A friend asked me to help her with some of their AV issues at their home and I, reluctantly, said I would take a look hoping it was just a cabling issue. I'm good with all the cabling and was able to fix all of that but I'm having issues setting up/programming the inputs correctly.

This is what they have:
    60" TV
    5.1 Surround Sound Speakerss
    Denon AVR-889
    Blu-Ray Player (HDMI)
    TV box (HDMI)
    Xbox 360 (HDMI)
    Nintendo Wii (RCA Analog)

Before I got there they had all of this going into the TV and were wondering why surround sound wasn't working. I got everything running into the Denon now and then doing HDMI out to the TV. I got the cable box input to work but the others I either can't get to show up, or I just hear/see video and audio, but not both together. I tried to make sense of programming the inputs but I'm not getting anywhere. In the past I've just switched between the inputs and was just fine but I must be missing something. If something is plugged into 'DVD' on HDMI, can I still plug something into 'DVD' on the RCA side? I was assuming they were all separate inputs....

2. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Can you elaborate as to how everything is connected , as should indeed be straight forward.

Each source into one of the HDMi inputs (except Wii which would go into VCR 3 x RCA).

Then ensure that for all HDMI inputs audio is set to HDMI not Optical/Coax.

3. acjuelich

acjuelich
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Blu-Ray Player, Cable Box, and Xbox 360 are all going into the Denon Receiver via HDMI Input. The Wii is going into the Denon Receiver via RCA Analog Inputs. I can cycle through the via inputs and then specify which audio input it should be but still no luck. I can set the source as 'auto' which I assumed would determine if the audio input was analog or digital and figure itself out but that doesn't make a difference either. It almost seems like something was set up incorrectly on it a while ago. Is there not a 'factory reset' option so I can work from a blank canvas?

4. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
  5. acjuelich

acjuelich
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I can give that a whirl when I go back. Any other words of advice or gotchas I should know about?

Be default can I have something in the HDMI DVD Input and in the RCA DVD Input at the same time? I thought that I could since they were separate types but it seemed like I kept running into issues with that.