Denon AVR-789 sound problem

casterle

Standard Member
I have a Denon AVR-789 to which are connected a Tivo Series 3 and a PS3. The system had been working well for about a year, but yesterday as I was listening to a streamed MP3 file (via the PS3), the audio cut out completely.

By experimentation, I discovered that the PS3 now produces no audio from music/video streamed from my TVersity media server, from Netflix, or while traversing the menu system. I DO get audio when playing a DVD on the PS3, and when I turn on the PS3 I hear the ‘start-up’ music play.
<O:p</O:p
The problem appeared to be in the PS3, but then I noticed that I also no longer get audio from the Tivo. I now suspect that the problem is in the receiver.

I’ve powered off all three components by disconnecting them from the UPS, no joy. I’m not sure how to proceed and would appreciate suggestions.
Thanks!

casterle

Standard Member
And now I’ll answer my own question.

I called Denon for advice. They suggested that I do a microprocessor reset on the receiver, the down-side being that all of my settings would be lost.

I carefully documented my current settings (a digital camera is a real time-saver here), then proceeded to reset the receiver. According to the manual, the reset is performed by simultaneously pressing the power, input mode and speakers buttons until the display starts flashing. I was not able to accomplish this in several attempts – the display not only never flashed, it remained blank no matter how long I held down the buttons (a slow 30 count).

The good news is that something happened, because my audio is now working properly – and I didn’t have to re-enter all of my settings!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom