Denon AVR 4308CI owners... A sound quality question.

skishop69

Novice Member
Reaction score
I recently did some trading and picked up a very nice Denon AVR 4308CI to replace my very old, dead/dying Pioneer Elite. Really nice unit that I'm very happy with except for a sound quality issue. I know it's rated at 140w pc@8ohms, but I don't think it's a continuous rating. I bought new speakers to replace the old crappy ones and I tested the speakers on my music system which runs a Crown 1000w amp with the gain turned down to 25% so as not to blow them. They sound very good for what they are, but when I run them on the Denon, the low to mid range lacks power even at 3/4 volume and above that, they start to distort. I have spent hours playing with the channel EQ's and level settings making no significant gains. The front speakers are rated at 175w, center at 300w and rears at 120w so if the Denon specs are true, these speakers should be punching but they're not on the Denon. I know that you never get the rated wattage of an AVR especially when you're pushing all the channels so my questions are:

Did anyone else notice this with their 4308?
Did you ad an amp?
Was it a noticeable change?
If so, what kind & size?
Other thoughts?

I've picked out an amp to add to the system, but don't want to pull the trigger on it until I'm sure this is a wattage supply issue with the Denon since the amp I'm looking at has a continuous 130w rating and has been tested as such. I've searched but not really found any specifics to this issue with this AVR. Thanks! Ski

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom