Denon AVR-4306 won't work and needs hard reset

S

Scottbike10

I just spent the last several hours trying to figure out how to get my Denon AVR-4306 to work (just as World Cup bigan). I moved the box yesterday to a distant electronics cupboard but it seemed fine when I went to sleep. This morning I tried to use it and no sound.

The system was on. I could access it from my PC and make changes to the settings. It did not feel hot. Finally I tried the test tones, and they sounded fine. I tried different inputs and none worked. I tried turning it off and on. I tried shutting the power and leaving it off for a while. Nothing.

The speaker test tones worked, so working backwards that suggested that the speakers, wiring and amplification were fine. The inputs were working with other equipment so working forward that suggested something from the back panel through the preamp and sophisticated electronics.

I looked at the trouble shooting section of the manual, absolutely nothing useful. My 9 year old had better ideas. He suggested Google.

So following his thoughts I went to the net. I checked the Denon UK site, which is singularly the most unhelpful site of a major electronics vendor. Their US site is better, it has manual downloads etc, but still I did not get any helpful ideas. Finally I did a search on AV-Forums. One, very short suggestion from 12 Promises suggested a hard reset, though he did not say how to do it.

I went to the PDF version of the manual I down loaded from the Denon US site and searched on "reset". After passing through what seemed like thousands of "presets" I found on page 69 the instructions for “initialization of the microprocessor” - now why did I not think of searching on that LOL! (power off, hold ROOM EQ and NIGHT buttons, power on, watch for flashing display, release).

This did work.

Unfortunately it erased all my settings. Further unfortunately, I thought I had backed up the settings to my PC. Turns out I had only downloaded the software before but not downloaded the settings (it is a two step process that is not well described in the manual, just try searching on back up). Now that the box is in a distant room from the speakers it will not be easy to the automatic set up. Perhaps I can get about 100 meters of cable to extend the auto set up mic.

I wrote all this so that if anyone else has this problem it will save them some time. If anyone has any ideas on what caused this, I would be grateful.

Well it has been another day and I am having continuing problems connecting to and controlling my 4306 over Ethernet. This morning I shut zone one using the Web interface and then could not get back in. I tried shutting it down and turning it on again but no luck.

Will keep trying.

:mad:

Now I also have some control of the 4603 through the Crestron controler. Through the Crestron I can turn the 4603 on and off, select a few different inputs and control volume. Interestingly, once I have turned the 4603 on via the Crestron controler, I can pick up the 4603 through the Ethernet connection. But until I turn it on via the Crestron, I can't get through to the 4603 via Ethernet. Then if I turn the 4603 off, either with the Crestron controller or the Ethernet connection, I cannot turn it back on except with the Crestron controler.

At least I see a pattern now.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom