• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Denon AVR-3808: Different audio inputs with the same HDMI input.

Moskus

Standard Member
First post here, I'v been reading on avforums.com for years. :)

I had a working setup for years that was working great for our needs.

HDMI input from different sources for video, and a digital audio from the same source. That way I could forward the sound to zone 2 and/or 3 if I downgraded to stereo, useful at times (something that the AVR-3808 could not do if it used the audio from the HDMI input, for some strange reason).

However, the family is growing and we moved to a larger house. I got a Monoprice 8151, a 4x4 HDMI switch over CAT6. A great working unit, doesn't degrade the picture quality in a way that I can notice (with my equipment, that is) and it gives much flexibility for the video setup in our home.

However, I now only have one HDMI cable plugged into the receiver (in addition to the one going to the TV). But I still would like to use separate digital audio inputs.

But when I set HDMI1 as input for one channel, say "TV", it disable HDMI1 on the other channels. Is there any way around that?

Hopefully I'm just missing a setting somewhere.

dante01

Distinguished Member
You receiver has no second HDMI zone capabilities. Only the most recent AV receivers have such abilities and they usually include a third HDMI output for this very purpose. Such receivers allow you to process and view one HDMI source in the main room while passing another source connected to the receiver out via the 2nd zone HDMI output. The receivers in question basically include an onboard HDMI matrix.

Your receiver simply includes an HDMI splitter that mirrors one HDMI source via both outputs and with no fascility to select different sources for each HDMI output.

In respect to digital audio output, you can only output digital audio if the source shares the same type of input. The input would need to be S/PDIF sourced if wanting to use the S/PDIF optical out of the receiver. You cannot source the audio via HDMI and then output it via S/PDIF.

The second and additional audio zone capabilities of most receivers are also limited in that a second or additional powered zone will only be able to access audio sourced via analogue, USB or the network port of an AV receiver.

Last edited:

Moskus

Standard Member
I guess I didn't make my self entirely clear. I am aware that the receiver doesn't have a second HDMI zone. It only has one HDMI output.

What I want is to be able to select HDMI and digital audio input separately. Another example: I'm using a SageTV HD200 to view random pictures on our TV. I can do that on the "HDP" channel on the receiver. That selects HDMI 1 as input for both video and audio.

However, I would also like to view images from the HD200 and at the same time play music from my Squeezebox connected to Digital 2 via tos-link. Say I want this on the "VCR" input.

If I assign HDMI1 to VCR I also remove it from HDP... :(

dante01

Distinguished Member
Okay, so you want to assign a different audio source to the HDMI input?

Yes, you can do this. Your amp will facilitate this, but I'm not conversive with how it is done with your particular model. This is more commonly done in association with SKY HD boxes that up until recently couldn't output more than a stereo audio signal via HDMI. It was necessary to therefor access Dolby Digital Audio and discrete 5.1 content via the box's S/DIF output. The video and separate audio inputs could be assigned to one another and treated as being one source. You cannot alter what the audio source will be on the fly though and it is something that requires configuration via an AV receiver settings.

Moskus

Standard Member
Yes, that's true. And that works. :)

But it seems I can't have HDMI1 selected as a video source for multiple "channels" (or "programs") on the receiver. That's the problem.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Yes, that's true. And that works. :)

But it seems I can't have HDMI1 selected as a video source for multiple "channels" (or "programs") on the receiver. That's the problem.

So you mean that you cannot assign the same HDMI source to different source buttons with different audio input assignments?

Moskus

Standard Member
Yes, precicely. :)

Or at least I haven't been able to so far. Perhaps there's a setting somewhere?
It's possible on my fathers older NAD receiver so I would think it should be possible on mine.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Yes, precicely. :)

Or at least I haven't been able to so far. Perhaps there's a setting somewhere?
It's possible on my fathers older NAD receiver so I would think it should be possible on mine.

I've done something similar with a Yamaha AV receiver in the past and although I've not attempted to do anything like it with my current Denon model, I cannot see why you shouldn't be able to use the same HDMI inputs in association with different audio inputs if each instances is in association with a different source button configuration. Maybe its a quirk of your particular amp and maybe it doesn't allow for one HDMI input to be repeatedly used with more than one source assignment?

Can you actually manage to use the same input for more than one source button, but without the additional audio assuagement? Is there labelling on the rear of the receiver indicating which of the audio inputs are assignable?

Last edited:

Moskus

Standard Member
Maybe its a quirk of your particular amp and maybe it doesn't allow for one HDMI input to be used with more than one source assuagement?
That's what I'm starting to fear...

Can you actually manage to use the same input for more than one source button, but without the additional audio assigment?
That's a good question! I'll have to test that.

EDIT: But I found this, and it doesn't look good... :(

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom