1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon AVR-3805S Component Video Output and LCD Remote Problems

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by sharant11, Aug 17, 2005.

Tags:
  1. sharant11

sharant11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I purchased a Denon AVR-3805S about a year ago and have had a number of issues.

1. The most annoying thing is with the LCD remote. For reasons I cannot explain, the LCD remote locks up and if left un-noticed, doesn't switch off and drains the battery. This seems like a Denon software issue to me. Has anyone had a similar problem. Other than a universal remote, do Denon offer a different remote for this unit?

2. More seriously, the component video output channel has died twice in the last two months. I'm just about the head back to the retailer to complain today, but would like to know if anyone has had a similar problem or did I just buy a lemon.

My system is set up such that all inputs up-convert to the single component output or have their own component input (a. composite input for analog VCR, b. s-video for cable TV, c. component input for Playstation2 and d. composite for analog video camera playback). I by-pass the Denon for 1080i HDTV and 480P DVD playback and go directly into TV (this is due to the inability of the TV to down-convert from 1080i or 480P to component, hence I need two inputs on the TV).

I have also noticed that the component-out death seems to coincide with a lock up on the remote. Is there some kind of shutdown on the component video output related to a strange signal from the remote?

The last repair ticket from the retailer's authorized Denon tech gave the following as explanation of service performed:
    "Reposition PCB joint at video PCB 3-Y. Reset IC." No real explanation of root-cause effect was given.

Hope someone has some good ideas here.

Regards.

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Hi

The remote could be sending out the VIDEO OFF signal when it locks up.

3. sharant11

sharant11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jase, I'll look for this if it happens again. In the meantime, after further research, I found applying a factory reset took care of the problem.