1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon AVR-3805 seeks 5.1 Speaker Setup for meaningful long-term relationship

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by hotsnot, May 1, 2005.

Tags:
  1. hotsnot

hotsnot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone else here have the Denon AVR-3805 and can share their speaker experiences ?
    I've recently purchased this receiver and I'm now looking to upgrade my full speaker set from a bargain bunch of Heybrooks that are really showing their limitations.
    Usage-wise I'm into a movies / music ratio of about 65 / 35.
    I've a budget around the £1,300 mark and could happily do without a sub if the fronts produced sufficient bass (I live in an apartment and don't want to get evicted !).
    Also any opinions on decent speaker cable or is this whole forum into CAT5 now ? :)

-d.

P.S. Mods - feel free to move this to the speaker forum if that's where you feel it belongs ... I approached it from the Receiver angle because that's the component I already have.

2. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    You've certainly got a decent amount of cash to play with - as for bass setting etc. you can probably better off investing in a sub as this is used and really brings out the best in movies - but you can control the "loudness" via the amp so it doesn't bug the neighbours too much. If your in the basement a downward firing sub should help.

As for speakers is really down to preference, and my preference is for mission speakers but to be quite honest i've never listened to any others on my 3803, I basically like the way the mission's deliver the sound. The sub/sat mission m-cubes (1k) have got good reviews but I'm unsure if they will be as good as a full size speaker system.

Try and get to some dealers and listen to some, but i'm sure plenty of people will put forward ideas and experiences on here.

3. hotsnot

hotsnot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply FaxFan2002.
    What model Missions do you have and do you have Missions all round ?
    I've read in places that Missions sound bright with the Denon receivers ... do you find that at all ?
    I'll do the dealer audition thing alright, but I wanted to get some opinions off here first to help me narrow the range.
    Anybody using Axiom speakers or can you even get them on this side of the pond ?

4. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Nah, I wouldn't agree with that - they sound good to me, however I am using slightly old Mission speakers so that maybe a factor. This mission's I'm using are:

Fronts: 753i reference
    Centre: 75C
    Rears: 4 x M7DS
    Sub: velodyne cht8

Beware - you do need a beefy sub for the amp.

Good luck with your search!

5. Andy_Lee

Andy_Lee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good Amp

Check my Sig for the kit I have. The only part of my speaker setup I would change is the Rear Backs but as they are not really anything to do with music reproduction I think I can safely ignore them. The Evo 30's produce plenty of Bass without the sub (this is not in my sig or profile) It's an elderly Celestion model but it makes all the right rumbles for movies and is ignored for music. Probably I could cut it from the system completely. The Evos were selected purely for music the fact that they do a good job with HT is a bonus to me. The Diamond 9 CS was selected because I could not justify the Evo CS which was x2 the price for not a whole lot of improvement. The DS 18's were chosen because they sounded great for films and are relatively discreet and I don't have space for stand mounted speakers at the back of the room. (They are a wallmount design). Obviously I stuck with 1 maker for the same reason most people do.

For the sort of money you have available you could go for the DS 20's and the Evo CS and still look at a reasonable sub or look at the bigger Evo's (more bass but not as agile as the 30's)

6. rmask

rmask

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    if you like precise, dynamic and warm sound
    then i can recommend my setup:

tannoy sensys dc2 fronts
    sensys dcc center
    sensys 1 surrounds

no sub yet (I'm planing to purchase 2 fast and dynamic (suggestions welcome) but not powerful subs to spread bass equally around the room)

all speaker cables:
    4mm realcable BM400T
    http://www.real-cable.com/hpbimetaux.htm#bimetaux

7. hotsnot

hotsnot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the responses people, much appreciated.
    I've also been looking at the B&W 600 range and have a demo arranged for this weekend. Any thoughts on those ?

8. Andy_Lee

Andy_Lee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I demoed them just before my Wharfedales. They didn't do a lot for me they sounded muddy and very loose maybe ok for HTR only but not my first choice for music. I think it was the S4 series

9. hotsnot

hotsnot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Andy,

B&W don't make a S4 series (as far as I'm aware) ... are you sure you're not thinking of Polk or Paradigm ?

-d.

10. Andy_Lee

Andy_Lee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I'm fairly certain they were somthing like DM 6xx S4 not too sure though as I've been to sleep since I demoed them :rotfl:

11. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I also have a 3805, and would agree with Andy about the performance of the Pacific Evo 30s - very very good speakers for the money (£650-ish when I bought mine). I demoed them against B&W 704s (£1,400) and there was very little in it to my ears. They are also excellent with stereo sources. I have a B&W HTM7 centre with these, and whilst not a perfect match, what the centre gives in terms of clarity of output is outstanding. Finally I have Mission M5DS rears - they are great dipoles for the money. A bit of a mishmash I know, but as for working with the 3805, well they do :thumbsup: . As for speaker cable, to me you cannot go wrong with Silver Anniversary - biwired for the front three and just two-core for the rears.

12. ghosty

ghosty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have opted for the AE Evo 3b package to go with my 3805. Probably much cheaper than what you are looking for, but might be worth a demo.

the floorstanding fronts are particually bassy and really great with cd's. the overall package is excellent with movies also though ive not ever considered turning the sub off. for their price they really agree with my ears, have a good listen round before u commit though.