1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon AVR 3805 or alternative?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Tonedeaf, Dec 3, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Tonedeaf

Tonedeaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking to buy an AV Receiver, predominantly to be used for listening to music, but which I could also use for 5.1/7.1 etc. I had settled on buying a Denon AVR 3805, but having read a few of the threads posted on this site, I am slightly concerned as to whether there may be a problem with the "actual" power output of this particular model. Several members have highlighted how high they have to raise the volume as high as +6db whilst listening to movies and others have talked about bi-amping the 3805. Surely any louder than 0db means that the receiver is playing louder than it was designed to and therefore the sound is distorting?

As I mainly intend to use the Denon AVR 3805 for music, will this therefore be even more of a problem to me?

I have listened to a Denon AVR 2805 in direct comparison to a Harmon-Kardon AVR-430 (musically speaking), through the same set of Monitor Audio Silver 6 (front) speakers that I will be using (in addition to further MA speakers to complete the 5.1 setup). Although the Harmon-Kardon AVR-430 is only rated at 7x65w (as opposed to the Denon AVR 2805's supposed 7x100w), I noticed that it sounded significantly louder and brighter than the Denon at all volume settings.

Does anyone know of any actual cause for concern in this area with the Denon, or is it just down to bad setup?

I am still considering the Harmon-Kardon and also the Arcam AVR 250. Any advice on these models would also be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Dave O.

2. john R1

john R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tone deaf i am using a 3805 running 4ohm speakers and yes after auto calibration the left front might be set at say +3db but i have never had to have the main volumm control above -15 even then my wife shouts out to turn it done and she is not even in the same room

3. Tonedeaf

Tonedeaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks John R1. I take it -15db would be whilst listening to music?

4. john R1

john R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have somtimes gone down to -10 when i am on my own, with films seems to depend on the soundtrack spiderman 2 on superbit dts is a lot louder than say bourne supremacy reg 3 on dd also have noticed when playing some of the few dvd-audio discs i own normaly between -20 to -15 db hope this helps also i would say i agree with what people say about the slight power drop if you switch a cd from stereo to dpl11x you will notice it, i have never found it a problem though

5. Falp

Falp
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 3805 is a great amp but like that I would suggest the audition of Maratnz 7500/8500 or Arcam/Rotel...

6. Tonedeaf

Tonedeaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice. I think I am going to have to arrange a direct comparison between the Denon AVR 3805 and Arcam AVR-250 or 300 before a hand over my hard-earned.

7. fordster

fordster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Have a listen to the Rotel RSX-1056 if you want your amp to be musical. It's also excellent for home theatre and has bags of power.

8. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    I have a 3803 and the musical ability isn't great compared to my audio setup of cyrus 5 amp and rega planet cd player (stating the obivious I know), I would suggest going to a more dedicated to music that has additional av capabilities..

9. Mose

Mose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    I am running my 3805 through a 7 channel Kef Q7 package and I have no complaints at all. I have bi-wired the front three channels. Depending on what I am listening to at the time, the volume varies.

Playing some of the Superbit DTS discs, the volume rarely goes past -10db. I often watch "THE WHO - Live at the Albert Hall" in DTS mode and even at -20db, there is enough power in there to move the furniture round the room. Have pushed it to -10 and it is too much, although it sounds superb, ya might as well have been right there in the front row.

Watching movies such as Top Gun in DD I can play this at +5 db without the slighest hint of distortion from the amp, with the DTS pressing the amp is comfortable with -15db.

Playing Shaving Ryan's Privates :laugh: DTS pressing is pretty much the same rarely go above -20db.

So horses for courses!!

I bought the 3805 to replace my AX10i. I love Pioneer amps, but this model sounds too harsh in my listening room with the speaker package I am using. The Denon amp controls the sound wonderfully, and auto-calibrates the sound better than the pioneer.

At the end of the day, this is all down to your listening/viewing room, and partnering equipment. For me the Denon was the amp to have!

10. Subwoofer70

Subwoofer70
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Tonedeaf.
    Would you consider a Pioneer VSX-AX3...great sound, lots of power.

11. dvdchild

dvdchild

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +425
    Hi Tonedeaf,

I've just purchased the Denon 3805 after having a yamaha DSP750se and there is a big difference. Better sonic steering and sound is more dynamic. Also the Auto Setup on the denon makes a better job than the yamaha (i thought anyway).

dvdchild :thumbsup:

12. john R1

john R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i found the ato set up very good as well mind you did tweak up the rear speakers a little, each to there own

13. Mose

Mose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    John,

Just out of curiosity, when you ran the auto set-up, did you get the "out of phase" error message?

I get this message intermittently, and for the life of me can't figure out why. I know the manual says that if the message appears, then cancel and carry on with manual set-up, but this defeats the object of having auto set-up!!

Anyways....just curious!!

MOSE

14. Tonedeaf

Tonedeaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again. I've just about decided, but will listen to a few suggested options first!

15. john R1

john R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    moss no i did not get any error messages when i ran the auto set up i just prefer to here a bit more from my rear speakers

16. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Tonedeaf
    Try and get to hear the Nad receivers t773,t763,to me anyone wanting good music playback should try and get a demo.
    Cheers Gonzo. :)