1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DENON AVR - 3805 Can anyone suggest EQ settings

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by techy_sam, Aug 18, 2005.

Tags:
  1. techy_sam

techy_sam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear All,
    I have recently bought a Denon 3805 but I am using 5.1 speaker system instead of 7.1
    So the Auto-setup with MIC is giving error. I don't know if the Auto-setup with MIC can be done for 5.1 system :confused:

So I am using Manual EQ. Is there any web site / thread where I get some guidelines on Manual EQ settings?

2. Wild Rumpus

Wild Rumpus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The auto setup can definitely be done with 5 speakers ('cos that's what I did). It might be worth a look through the user manual again.

3. GranPremio

GranPremio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quite correct!

Set my 5.1 up last week - sounds great. The 3805 will detect if you have no speakers connected

4. NWhiteley

NWhiteley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    techy sam..... i know this isnt exactly on topic, but can you use standard black lettering when posting? im am colour blind and can only just read your question , infact it hurts doing so.

thanks .... neil

5. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    3805 Can anyone suggest EQ settings?

Yeah, All set to Odb or OFF...

6. RohanM

RohanM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    EQ off works for me... (5.1 with B&W speakers and REL sub)

7. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,184
    I think the original poster is actually refering to levels and delays.
    Thats' what my Denon auto setup does with it's microphone anyway.

To answer that question.
    Set the distances for each speaker to the distance between that speaker and your main listening position - these are in metres on my 2105
    Setting the levels for each speaker (-12dB to + 12dB) you are aiming for an equal volume from each speaker. This is tough to do well manually and is best acheived with the set up process and the microphone or using a Sound Pressure Level meter.

What is the problem with the Mic set up? Mine complains about L/R phase but it sets up OK.

8. GliderRider

GliderRider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've posted several times recently, not had any answers that have fixed my problem. While we are on EQ settings, my understand is this only changes the volume of each speaker? There is no equaliser as such? The reason I'm stepping in on this thread with you 3805 owners is, I can't fugure out why my 25 year old Stereo JVC Receiver (60 WPC) sounds better through my KEF Q7's than My Denon 3805 in Stereo?
    What have I got wrong> I have tried small speaker settings, large speaker, with and without sub etc.
    I give in.
    (BTW the 3805 in 5.1 surround is awesome, no complaints here)
    Am I going to have to accept that I may need to use a separate Stereo amp for playing music CD's Vinyl, tape etc? :confused:

9. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup, surround receivers just aren't great at stereo unfortunately. Try getting sacd or dvd-a instead of cd's i guess.... :)

10. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    You have a Manual EQ option which can be used to change certain Frequencies but it's just a basic EQ it's not Parametric like the AUTO EQ so you can't adjust the "Q". The Channel Level adjustment is what will adjust the volume level of each channel.

Pure Direct will give you the cleanest sound for Music playback for either a digital or analogue source. This passes full range signals to the front channels and bypasses bass management etc. You can also have the Subwoofer active or not in this mode. It's switched on or off using the channel level adjustment in that mode and to turn it off you lower the SW level to -12db then OFF. You can also have the Room EQ on or off in Direct/Pure Direct but you need to active this option in the main setup menu. It's under Direct Mode Setup.

11. RSD123

RSD123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have my 3805 in the normal EQ mode... it does to more than change volume it adjust gain and the eq settings within each mode or you can manually adjust the parametric eq.

12. GliderRider

GliderRider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone, I think I might be getting there. All my channel level were set to zero. By Uncreasing the Sub level to 4 I get a more pleasing and solid sound. However, I'm having to depend on my Sub.
    Perhaps I'm being picky?