1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon AVR-3805 - Advice Required

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Santy, Oct 24, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Santy

Santy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am ready to purchase a Pana P6 Plasma (as opposed to waiting for a P7 in Charcoal - need install complete b4 Xmas)...

I have a really small front room, about 16ft Sq, and I need a cool AV set-up but the speakers simply HAVE TO BE discrete...

I was considering a Bose Lifestyle 38 or 48 system for the reason that it is discrete and sounds ok for a room of this size.

I got hounded on this forum (thanks all you guys who posted) to try additional brands, and I have started to look at a broader product offering from other manufacturers.

I like the look / features of the Denon 3805 (especially the remote) but I have the following questions:

1. Does the unit perform less well if you only hook up 5.1 speaker set-up rather than 7.1 (my room would look like a hi-fi shop if I put in two surrounds as well as two rear surrounds)!

2. Can anyone give me some feedback on the 3805, last time one of my mates had a Denon it packed up after 14 months :eek:(

3. What speakers could I install (need to be wall / ceiling mountable and discrete) but sound superb? My budget for the AV / Speaker Package is not huge, probably want to spend about £2k max?

4. What connectors are people using the P6 and 3805? I was going down the Sky into JS Technologies RGB to Component (YUV) converter, RCA into Denon and BNC component into P6? Also what about DVD (sony) and X-Box etc?

All advice (inc. maybe other AV Amps like Yamaha that I need to consider) appreciated.

Thanks in advance, I just don't want to buy the Bose system and regret it later?

Cheers

Santy.

2. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Both 5.1 and 7.1 should sound excellent on the Denon, or a similar priced amp (the extra 2 surrounds are nice to have, but not essential). I have 7 speakers for my setup, but only have 5 connected at the mo.

For the speakers, I would really recommend a set of gallo micros as they match your criteria. Have a look on www.roundsound.com (i think that's their addy). I've had them about 9 months and they sound great with a Pioneer 2011 and look very nice.

With the 3805 you could potentially just link from the VGA port (which is standard - ie no board needed for that) to the component out on the 3805 with a single VGA to YUV cable. This would save you money on boards etc. Everything could then just be routed through the Denon component out (it will upconvert S Video and Composite too). This is what i'm thinking of doing at the mo.

The JS Tech RGB/Component convertor can be connected to one of the 3 component ins on the Denon (most amps at this price only have 2 component ins). Your DVD and Xbox could take up the other 2 component ins and your sorted.

I don't have the Denon so can't comment on quality, am toying between this and a Pioneer 2014 (want the video upconversion feature). I have a Panny PW6 coming on Wednesday (for a new install at my new flat) so i'm looking at similar info at the mo.

3. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I do keep banging on about them like a tired record, but M&K K17s and K4s are extremely good indeed and quite small and very easily wall mounted. They really are excellent.

Using the plate provided the K17s will fit as near as flush to the wall as makes no difference really.

4. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86