Denon AVR-3803 Specs now officially announced

Sounds a very nice spec.!

I just pre-ordered a Marantz 7300 from QED-UK (£474 all in!), but I'm now swaying towards Denon again, being a (relatively) happy Denon 3801 owner.

Decisions, decisions......

higenbs1

Aside from 7x110w, is there any significant change between this and the 3802

P

plasmattack

Conversion between composite, S-Video and component video signals, I believe.

H

hobbes

gah, will they ever update the looks of this amp?
it still looks identical to the 3300, 3801, 3802 before it and to be honest there are many much nicer designs around now.

Get with the program Denon.

(going by the specs it should be a winner, although i would fail to justify upgrading to it if i had a 3802)

Shaun

pcookie

I totally agree with you hobbes. Andy, stick with the Marantz. The spec is virtually identical and it costs nearly half the price, plus it will be better with music than the Denon. Don't be swayed. Let me know what you think of the 7300 when you've played with it.

cookie

Jase

Distinguished Member
Originally posted by higenbs1
Aside from 7x110w, is there any significant change between this and the 3802

The 3803 now has one of the Processors from the A1SR flagship amp, it´s also got two DAC´s per channel (total of 16, Burr Brown 24bit-192khz), AL24 Processing for 2ch Stereo/Direct & Pure Direct. Pure Direct uses four DAC´s per channel.

Its also got Video Conversion, Audio Delay (0-200ms). As well as DTS 96/24. Most of these features are only found on the flagship A1SR. Also worth noting is the Multizone 1 Video output (composite). Only the flagships have this as well.

I´d say it was pretty damn good, especially if they keep the price around the same as the 3802.:)

gizlaroc

Distinguished Member
the audio delay is the thing that sells it for me, since adding a scaler i was seriously considering one of the higher model denons for this feature alone.

the list price for the 3803 is 1500euro.

wasnt the list for the 3802 around 1300 euro ???

that means that this wil be nearer the £1k mark over here no doubt :(

i was hoping i would be ble to get £500 back on my 3802 and only pay another £200-300 to upgrade looks like it will be another £400-500, bugger !

Jase

Distinguished Member
What does the audio delay feature allow?

Sorts out any lip-sync problems when you have video running thru the amp, useful for scalers etc

higenbs1

Jase - I bought a 3802 about 4 months ago, and am very pleased with it. Since I don't run any video through the amp, do you think it's worth me upgrading to a 3803. Will the change of DAC's etc mean a significant improvement on the sound over the 3802 (which I consider perfect).

gizlaroc

Distinguished Member
well i just got off the phone from denon UK, my what a helpful bunch they aren't.

I explained that I needed audio delay and asked if they have a release date for the UK model, and an approx. street price.

This was one of the guys in sales btw. who i take it is responsible for getting his customers (mainly retailers) excited about forthcoming products.

Well apparently the 3803 is just a rumour !!!

just because there has been a 1603 and a 1803 doesnt mean that denon will design a 3803 !!

He doesnt think that there will be a 3803.

I explained that there were already .pdf's released detailing the units specs and that a couple of german retailers were expecting them in November/December

"Oh really ?? what differences are there ??"

WTF !!!! was he asking me for ???

I really do think that it is pretty poor that companies let people represent them and do not give them all the latest facts and gossip, so when asked about a product the can at least tell you as much as you know, rather than making said company look pathetic.

Ok so what other amps of that quality or higher have audio delay to compensate with video processing ??
I really was going to stick with Denon but I don't think they deserve the business, so if I find somthing else before the 3803 is released I will have a change, my brand loyalty hasd just gone down the pan.

higenbs1

Totally agree - That is such poor service. If Denon say it's such a rumour, how come the above link shows JPEG's of the front and back of the model. Are we to believe that that whoever started this rumour took a picture of a 3802, and digitally changed the last digit to a 3 on the front panel. :D

Jase

Distinguished Member
Jase - I bought a 3802 about 4 months ago, and am very pleased with it. Since I don't run any video through the amp, do you think it's worth me upgrading to a 3803. Will the change of DAC's etc mean a significant improvement on the sound over the 3802 (which I consider perfect).

In theory there should be a difference, until its released and I´ve heard one I wouldn´t like to pass judgement.

Only thing I can say, is when I sent my A1SE for its upgrade (new processors, dac´s etc) there was a definite improvement in sound quality. :) Hopefully the 3803 will follow suit.

What´s interesting is currently there are no amps/receivers under two grand that offer its spec (dual dac´s per channel etc), you have to look at the flagship amps like the A1SE, A1SR, Pioneer AX10 to better it.:)

Jase

Distinguished Member
Originally posted by gizlaroc

Well apparently the 3803 is just a rumour !!!

Maybe we should tell Denon UK to have a look at Denon USA´s website from time to time.:p :devil:

Jase

Distinguished Member
Originally posted by gizlaroc

Ok so what other amps of that quality or higher have audio delay to compensate with video processing ??

Off the top of my head, the Denon A1SE (upgraded), A1SR and a couple of the Onkyo amps have it.

gizlaroc

Distinguished Member
Maybe we should tell Denon UK to have a look at Denon USA´s website from time to time.

Funny thing is the guy on the phone said that they do not have any internet access at denon UK, no wonder i didn't get a reply to my email i sent them !!

So do AV processors from Arcam, Meridian and TAG, to name but three.

I am actually now seriously considering your new processor John, I am trying to do my loft conversion under budget leaving me a little money to play with for better processing/amplification.

gizlaroc

Distinguished Member
tell a lie just got a reply

"The AVR-3802 is still current, we have

no detail at present of a replacement model. Please check on

the Denon UK website for news of any new models.

Regards

Hayden Laboratories"

maybe they have email on a mobile phone

:rolleyes:

Anyone know how far the audio delay feature will go ie 200 milliseconds??????

gizlaroc

Distinguished Member
yeah it is 200ms

the manual is available for download on the usa website.

dunkyboy

I'm confused about this talk of audio delay. My budget (£300) Yamaha DSP-E800 processor has delay settings (don't know the exact range in millisecs) for each channel as well as a master delay for all the channels that lets me match the audio exactly to the video - is this the same thing you're talking about? If so, why on earth would a bottom-end Yamaha have it and nothing else short of the flagship Denons, Pioneers, etc? Seems like a fairly trivial feature to implement, yet one that comes in every so handy...

Dunc

M

MikeK

Dunkyboy

Don't worry, you aren't going mad :)

It's not the same thing!
What you have is audio delays to compensate for speaker placement differences (all DD AV reciever have this in one form or another)
What they are on about here is over and above that - it's a delay you can put between the audio and the video stream, to compensate for delays created by offboard video electronics, such as video scalers etc. The people using video scalers etc are using relatively high end video equipment, and hence are more likely to have higher end audio eqpt - hence this feature's appearance in higher end AV amps.

dunkyboy

Okay, but I'm still not clear what the difference is. The delays for the separate channels are for compensating for different speaker placements/room sizes, but there's also a master delay that basically just delays the overall audio output - which AFAICS is the same as what you're on about... or am I missing something?

Dunc

gizlaroc

Distinguished Member
it may be the same thing , usually it lets you set it up to 200ms.

The latest video from AVForums

LG C1 OLED TV Best Picture Settings for SDR, HDR and Dolby Vision
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Sky and NOW UK for August 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky Q sports coverage gets live HDR
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 21st July 2021
  • By Phil Hinton