1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon AVR 3803 set up q's

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by vexorg, Mar 10, 2003.

Tags:
  1. vexorg

vexorg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 3803 landed on Friday, it spent Wednesday and Thursday in the back of a UPS van apparently looking for my house...

When I removed it from its packing, it had obviously been out of its box before, a couple of finger prints on the display and smudges on the facia, but most worringly the case had been removed, some of the screw heads were damaged (as if hte wrong sized driver head was used and so screw head edges were torn. So still waiting to talk to the retailer regarding a replacement and assuming that I dont have to wait too long to get a new one, I was wondering...

What is hte best way to connect speaker cables to the 3803.

1) Use the speaker posts and wrap the cable around the post

2) Lever the center cap from the post and use banana plugs

3) Use speaker cable spades.

If 2) - what size plug, there seems to be different lengths of 4mm banana plugs, long and short.

If 3) - a spade (if that is the correct term - its a a u shaped terminal - cable screws in one end and the "u" shape would slide in either side of speaker post ) - are there different types /sizes of spades?

Thanks

Vex.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    When I purchased my 3802 I was recommended to just use the bare wire. As the salesman said he could sell me banana plugs but that just makes an additional connection that can break, and no connection is 100%. The binding posts can be awkward to get the speaker cable on to (theres not a lot of space between them), but you should only need to do it the once.

Mark.

3. DJP

DJP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I use the Gold Plated banana plugs from Keene without difficulty (length of the 4mm portion is 15mm). The reason for using them is that I've been swapping kit around and it makes life a lot easier than fiddling around with the bare wires.

As MarkE19 states it is an added connection and as such must introduce some additional negative effect. However, I have tried both and couldn't notice any difference in performance.

Given that you are hoping for a replacement Amp I would suggest that you do not remove the centre caps at this time. These little beasties are difficult to remove without breaking them and if you have to send the Amp back then this may cause you some problems.

I am very suprised that the case had been removed. There was an issue with the video up-conversion on early versions of the Amp so perhaps this model has had a dealer mod to correct this.

Good luck with the retailer.

Derek

4. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    If you use bananas or spades then use th QED Qirloc ones, Dealers should be able to fit them to most cables. It's not worth using them otherwise for resaon previously stated.

5. vexorg

vexorg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The amp went straight back in the box as soon as I noticed the case was removed... Im assuming it was removed as opposed to someone just vandalising a few screw heads:)

I was talking to the retailer today, who was as surprised as I was, he immediatley arranged for a courier to pick up the amp and deliver a new one, hopefully have it tomorrow.

As for a dealer mod to fix it... its possible, they should have taken more care with a £700 amp, if not for the roughness of the screw heads, I would probably not have been too bothered that the packaging was opened. The date on the box was 4 March 2003, was sent from Hayden Labatories (if memory serves) to the retailers main store, picked up for delivery by UPS on the 5th and with me on the 7th, not much time for a mod unless Hayden Labs did it.

Who ever did it, a little more care would be more professional, not putting me buying another tho'. (in a couple of years -0 maybe)

Thanks for the info on the banana plugs, I will be moving my system a couple of times over the next 6-8 months, so the plugs probably make sense, any experience with using spades?

6. vdeknock

vdeknock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My box had also been open before I received it, but it had an "Open by Denon" sticker across the box and tape on top. I took this to be a fix to address the upconversion. Did not look at the screws. Amps works like a charm and I even feed it Svideo and currently only have composite on my TV which also works.

To connect I used banana plugs, took a while to get the caps out (use one end of long nose pliers) but have already had to pull all the wires out to get to the back of the amp so worth the extra cost as far as I am concerned.

7. vexorg

vexorg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If mine had been marked as opened or modified, I would not have minded, my concern would be that if I had to return it for any reason, they might say that I had the case off.

The store seemed as surprised as I was, and tbh I would have accepted their word if they said it was for a modification, and said sorry about the clumsy work on the screws.

Anyway they are picking up the amp today and dropping me off another one... so touch wood its mint:)...

Does anyone use spades to connect speaker cable to the speaker poles?

Doing a little reading about banana plugs, their value seems to be convenience and when the plus has 2 screws to hold the cable, that their is less maintainence, shrinkage is not a problem and corrosion is less of a problem as the screws make a better seal than the speaker poles... being new to this ... is this previous section about shrinkage and less corrosion total bs?... it seems to make sense.

Vex.

8. briandzo

briandzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my 3803 arrived last week.

oddly there were no caps in the speaker binder posts.
    kind of odd as i thought they had to be there for some
    euro reasons.

maybe mine had been tampered with too.
    no cosmetic damage though. looks and works great.

i use short banana plugs bought from www.maplin.co.uk
    i also solder the cable into the banana plug for that perfect fit.
    over the top i know but in the long run there will be no cable
    tarnishing.

maplin are doing a special on some quality speaker cable
    too at the moment.

i required 70 metres of this stuff for 6.1 setup.
    so 99p metre is a good price (normally £2.30m)

Brian.

9. vexorg

vexorg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Briandzo

My AMP was picked up but they did not leave me a replacement, waiting to find out when they will sort me out, I got my banana plug in Maplins here in Dublin ... That speaker cable is e2.29 here thats £1.52.... I am not sure what makes speaker cable better quality than the next piece of cable... do you know? :)

My Gallo micros arrived this morning, so all I need now is an amp.

Thx.

Vex.

10. briandzo

briandzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi.

The speaker cable is currently on offer at www.maplin.co.uk

code XS37S description - Ox Free S12

if this is a Uk offer , is it not possible to order from the
    UK maplin site.

As far as speaker cable goes u can read a lot of arguments within
    these forums on how much you need to budget for.
    this makes a difficult decision, because if u buy cheap stuff then
    you will never know whether your kit is perfoming top notch.
    where if u spend a resonable amount a least u know that
    area isnt causing any performance loss.

Anyway i found the spec of this maplin cable to compare
    with far higher priced branded cable.

And i can confirm that this cable is very nicely made and no
    doubt will please any would be buyer.

Brian...

11. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi can a 3803 owner tell me can you adjust the delay times on different imputs ie component 1=dvd,component 2=ntl, as i have very delay if not very good on dvd, but ntl could do with a bit more,
    cheers sorry to but in did not think it was worth a new thread

12. nhk

nhk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No the master audio delay is not specific to the input. I've gone through the menus on my 3803 and it has only one setting - and applies to all inputs.

I have set mine to a delay of 50ms. This seems to cope quite nicely with Sky, DVDs etc. I tried 80ms but found it a tad too much.

13. DJP

DJP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Terribly sorry nhk but I'm afraid that you are wrong here. The delay is adjustable for each different source even though it only has one menu option.

jmack - to adjust the delay for a specific source make sure that the amp is switched to that source then go into the setup menu and alter the delay for that source. To adjust the delay for another source exit the setup menu, switch to the next source and go back into the setup menu again.

For example, I have 80ms set for my DVD and 100ms set for Sky+. You can verify that the delay is different by switching between the sources and accessesing the setup menu again.

Hope this helps.

Derek

14. nhk

nhk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DJP

Thanks for that - I assumed that since only one menu option, this applied to all inputs. Will try it tonight. This will avoid me having to live with a general option.

15. BigH

BigH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Interesting stuff, what is the max delay the 3803 supports?

Regards BigH

16. nhk

nhk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Max delay can be set to 200ms.

DJP is quite correct, I now have the Sky delay set differently to the DVD player. Works a treat.