Denon AVR 3803 periodocally entering standby mode - overheating?

ma-ku

Standard Member
Hi,

(repost from Integrated Amplifiers and Receivers) thread.

My Denon AVR 3803 periodically shuts itself down into standby mode, with a little red light flashing. If I switch Zone2 off and switch the receiver back on, it usually comes back up and continues normally. However, occasionally it shuts itself off again a few seconds or minutes later.

The receiver is sitting inside a Quadraspire QK Cabinet. There is a little ventilation to the sides (about 2cm), but the top of the receiver has a good 10cm or so of clearance between it and the next shelf up. Although the top of the receiver feels quite warm to the touch, it doesn't feel blisteringly hot. I have checked all the speaker terminals for any stray strands of wire causing possible shorts. (There were none).

The fact that this happens after a period of time suggests this is an overheating problem. But I am not sure. The receiver shut down last night during the climactic battle of Return of the King. Very annoying! After I switched off Zone2, it powered up and shut down once more, second attempt at restart was successful (no more shutdowns). Previously I was using a Sony TV stand to store the Denon. There was even less ventilation space in there and I never had this problem. Anyone got any ideas?

Some extra info. The equipment in the rack is ordered (top to bottom)

Sony VCR Recorder (can't remember model)
Panasonic DMR-EH80 DVD/HD Recorder
Pace SKY+ Decoder
Denon AVR 3803
Powerstrip + plugs, AC adaptors.

The cabinet has glass shelves inside, and is open at the back. It has a glass door (which is typically closed).

Any ideas?

Mark

Jase

Distinguished Member
Could be overheating. Easiest way to check is to leave it out of the cabinet for a film (if possible) and see what happens.

Jase

Distinguished Member
They can cope with a fairly high ambient room temperature as long as they have space around them. Have had my Denon's running in 35ºC+. Got rather hot to the touch but never shut down.

Cable Monkey

Novice Member
Normal convention is to put the amp at the top with something cool running below it.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom