1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon - AVR 3803 Amp - DVD Audio problem

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by the thing wnn, Apr 11, 2005.

Tags:
  1. the thing wnn

the thing wnn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +510
    Hi all,

I'm not really sure where my problem lies, but i have an issue with getting my amp to output DVD-Audio correctly.
    I have a Denon 3800 DVD player and a Denon 3803 amp. I have 6 interconnects connecting up the 5.1 outputs from the dvd player to the amp to run the dvd-audio stream into the amp.

I have a few dvd-audio discs, 2 bjork ones and a NIN one.
    The first bjork one (Verspetine) works fine. I set the amp to 'ext' on the handset, select the tracks on the screen and i get beautiful 5.1 surround dvd-audio. Quality.

But for both the other 2 (Medulla - bjork & Downward Spiral dual disc from NIN) I select surround dvd-audio from the menu, the little picture on the dvdplayer display shows it is outputting from all 6 channels, but i only get stereo out of the speakers.
    Now can anyone see what i am doing wrong? If it was just one disc, I would think the disc is faulty, but both suggests i am doing something else wrong. I was not sure if this was to be posted in the dvdplayer forum or here in the receiver forum, so i plumped for here.

It would be sooooo much easier if you could run the digital signal through my optical lead like the 5.1 / 6.1 soundtracks on DVD's. It's such a pain doing it the analogue way :mad:

So has anyone got any bright ideas? :thumbsup: :lease: :clap: :smashin:

2. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    Do the other disks also contain a stereo version which is being selected somehow ?

Mike.

3. the thing wnn

the thing wnn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +510
    yes they do, but if i select the stereo version of the dvd-audio tracks, then only 2 of the 6 channel lights light up in the display of my dvdplayer.
    This does suggest to me that the issue is with the amp somewhere. Just not sure where :(

4. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    Erm... possibly a little off but are you sure you have bought DVD-audio discs? I was looking to get NIN - Downward Spiral but only saw it available in SACD which my DVD player doesnt support

5. the thing wnn

the thing wnn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +510
    I got the Dualdisc version from america (Amazon.com) which is definitely DVD-Audio. Plus the second Bjork one is also definitely DVD Audio anyway.
    But thanks though :)

6. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +933
    If the Amp is fine with one disc and not the others then I'd be looking toward a problem with the DVD player. If the Amp is set to the EXT Input it will amplify whatever signals are being fed to it. Maybe doublecheck the DVD player's settings in case something odd is going on. Can you get hold of some other DVD Audio discs just in case those do have a fault??

7. the thing wnn

the thing wnn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +510
    I have tried this all again this evening - I forgot i also had a DVD-Audio of the soundtrack to A.I. - this also plays in perfect surround.
    But no matter what i do, NIN and Medulla only come out in stereo.
    When i tried NIN in both stereo and surround modes, the stereo version was slightly louder and actually sounded like stereo. The surround one sounded like it was playing 2 channels which were part of a set of 6, but not the others, do you know what i mean? bits of the track sounded missing.
    The same was for Medulla.
    Now i might think i was unlucky with one disc being badly coded or something, but not 2!!! (unless i'm damn unlucky)
    I've checked both the manual for the amp and the dvd player, both basically say put the amp in EXT mode and off it goes!
    And i can't see either the amp or dvdplayer have a problem if they play 2 dvd-audio discs fine.
    The only thing i can think of is the 2 that don't work, are more recent.

I don't know, I'm pretty depressed about the whole thing. I can't tell you how much i was looking forward to hearing the downward spiral in surround :(:(