1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon AVR 3802 speaker set up

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Wolf, Oct 8, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Wolf

Wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I'd like some advice please on how to set up the speaker levels on my Denon AVR 3802. I'm using the Mordaunt Short Genie system, and the supplied SPL meter. So far I have measured the speaker distances and played the test tone with the SPL meter set at the 1db range. What volume should the amp be at when I do this? Or is the white noise at a pre set level? Does the SPL meter have to read 0db on all 5 speakers by adjusting the speaker levels on the on screen display?

Secondly, when setting up the sub, what volume should it be at? The MS manual says you unplug the speakers and listen to the supplied CD which I've done, but it does'nt say what volume your amp should be at or what volume to set the sub at! I think I've sorted the notch filter out but whats the Phase dial for? I know I sound a thicko but is it me or is the MS manual a bit ambiguous?

Lastly, what should I have the amps crossover set at? It is currently on 80hz but reading other forums I could go to 100hz or 120hz. I am using the LFE input with a single lead running to the left input, is this powerfull enough to auto turn on the sub cos at the moment it goes off after a while and only comes on when I flick the switch back to permenant.

Thanks for any advice,

Mark

2. elton-77

elton-77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hello Wolf

I've had a 3802 for about 3 years now but I'm not familiar with MS Genie. Have spent many hours setting it up to be exactly as I require it. It is a fab amplifier especially now that most of the sources played are DTS.

Initially tried using SPL's (borrowed from friends) but the best advice I can provide is to set it up so that it sounds good to you. I don't think there are short cuts to be made in this. Try listening to many different films making small tweaks as you go and if needed, document what you are doing and cross reference it back to the film source! Don't change too many setting in one session or you'll be defeating the object of the exercise.

As for the sub, the lower crossover point would mean that there would be no directional distractions. I use 80 hz with a Jamo 600 (Yes it's old - but it still works very well and is permanently left on - so it doesn't go off ever)

Hope others contribute to help you further.

3. Wolf

Wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Elton and sorry for the long reply time!!! Get Xmas out of the way lol Yep, now I've played with it for a while I've got it sounding about right to me. Only thing is that I seem to be turning the volume up to 30 on the display to get a decent sound stage, is this normal?

The reason I ask is because the other night it switched itself off and the red status light started flashing! A quick check of the manual suggests that it's overheating..... Is this a start of bad things to come? I'm going to check the connections tommorrow so fingers crossed!

Cheers and any help would be greatly received!

4. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +298
    I run my 3802 at 40 for Prologic sources and at 30 for DD sources. This is for normal late evening viewing. I've cranked it up to 5 for watching DVDs. Sounds good, but a bit loud for late viewing!

WRT the overheating problem, do you have good airflow through the 3802? mine's on an open shelf, with about 4" clearance above it. No overheating.

5. Wolf

Wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Clockworks, my unit is in a cabinet with an open back and glass door. When watching DVD's the door is kept open, the back is about 6 inches away from the wall and my Toshiba 9500 is on the shelf above. The amp overhangs the Toshiba so the grills are visible at the back, there is also about 1 inch gap between the shelf and the Amp.

Originally I had the Toshiba plugged into the back of the Denon so when I turned the amp on the dvd switched on aswell, I have just plugged the Toshiba into its own supply this morning so I'll see if that makes a difference. One thing I have noticed is that the dvd discs are quite hot when I remove them from the player but then again I'm not having probs with the player!!!

If the problem persists I'll try starting a new thread to get some more ideas, but a quick scan of the forum last night did'nt bring any similar problems up so I dont know.

Regards Mark :)

6. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +298
    It does sound like airflow could be your problem. IIRC, the 3802 manual suggests leaving a 6" gap between the top of the amp and the shelf above.

If you can't leave more space, you could try using a 120mm PC fan to force some air through.

7. Wolf

Wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello again Clockworks, the amp shutting down has become more frequent so I went through all the connections and did a speaker test with the test tone facility in set up. Lo and behold I have got a blown woofer on one of the Genies! The amp must of sensed the power surge or something and shut itself down whenever the volume was increased.

A trip to Richer Sounds fixed the problem as the speakers were under warrenty, so they just replaced the whole unit! Many thanks to them, A1 service methinks. Thanks for your help and advice, but I am getting a lock for my cabinate as I am pretty sure it was my 19 year old stepson who has been messing with my gear when he knew I would kill him if he even breathed on it!!!

Regards M

8. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +298
    Glad you've sorted it.