Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Denon AVR-3802: Has anyone noticed how quickly this amp heats up?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by tk2001, Apr 23, 2002.

Tags:
  1. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I use to own a Marantz SR-5200 amp and no matter how long it was on for, it would stay relatively warm at most even after being on for over 6 hours!

With my new AVR-3802 however, I have noticed straight away that this amp tends to heat up rather more quicky than the SR-5200. I was very supprised by this especially when Denon advertised the 3802 as having huge transformers which deliver equal power to 7 channels.

Have any of the 3802 owners noticed this besides me?

BTW I'm currently only using a 5.1 setup and under 'power management' I have chosen 'multi-surround' as opposed to 'surround-back' and under 'speaker configurations' I have set the surround channel 'B' to 'none'.

2. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    The Denons do run quite warm. As long as you have plenty of ventilation around them, they´re fine.

Not that it would make much difference but I had my 3801 set to Surround back rather than multiroom, mind you I was using the extra speakers.

If you have the option in speaker setup to select no surround back speakers then use that. (Cant remember myself!!:eek: )

3. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I have the 2802 and that heats up pretty quick. My CD player is stacked up on top of it and that picks up the heat and refuses to play some disks (it searches endlessly). I need to sort out my ventilation around my components.

4. andyk

andyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    Denon say 10 cm all round. I have got 6, but have open back and sides so I think I am OK. Stacking on your 2802 seems like a bad idea

5. pwoody

pwoody

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Manual states at 10cm ventilation but goes to say amp has thermal cut out. I noticed it get hot as well and can only muster 6cm distance above my amp,but Denon may well be catering for all climates in that statement in their manual. Chill out and enjoy !!

6. muscat

muscat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was thinking about buying the Denon as a replacement for my Sony DA50ES but am concerned about potential heat problems.

The cabinet I have would allow 2cm above the amp and 4cm either side but an open back and a glass front. There will be a wooden shelf above and below.

Can anyone advise whether the Denon would be OK in these circumstances, given the 10cm clearance suggested in the manual?

7. deang

deang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 3802 at the bottom of a wooden hi-fi rack. There is minimal clearance (1-2mm) at the sides, but the back is open and there's about 50mm gap to a wooden shelf above. As there are no vent holes in the sides I don't believe it's a problem. I too have a glass door, but I tend to leave this open when it's on, just to improve the air flow. I've also got (in order above the AVR) a VCR, a cable box, and a DVD player. I've had no overheating problems, although the amp does kick out quite a bit of heat.

8. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 3801 and there are a small line of vent holes on the left hand side, are these omitted on the 3802?

9. bigfatlad

bigfatlad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hrmm....im not next to my 3802 atm, but if memory serves, it does have a line of vent holes along one (or both) sides.