Denon AVR 3801

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by kumamoto, Nov 7, 2003.

Tags:
  1. kumamoto

kumamoto
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I am the proud owner of the denon 3801 which i bought in may 2001 only to have the 3802 launch later that year with prologic 2.

I have been satisfied with the receiver perfomance, dolby digital,dts are great and the stereo reproduction is quite decent.

I have recently upgraded my dvd player to Denon 2900 and was wondering whether i would notice any "Improvements" by splashing out on the denon 3803,sony Es 555 or the pioneer AX3.

Would this upgrade be justifiable . I mean I am missing anything, by not having Prologic II or the extremely rare DTS 96/24.

Any opinions will be highly appreciated .

2. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,935
    You will notice some improvements changing from a 3801 to 3803, certainly 2ch stereo is improved (Pure Direct mode), surround performance has also jumped up a notch or two in terms of effects placement and steering. In addition you get more formats, PL2 etc. There are other features such as Video Upconversion, Master Audio Delay to cure any lip-sync problems, these are worth the purchase price alone, if you need them! :)

3. Ryan

Ryan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would say if you were to upgrade you should be looking higher up the list. Unfortunately that is the AX10i or A1SR otherwise you will be throwing money away. Definately look for one of these s/h.

4. Gavin_Hall

Gavin_Hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Or you could simply bolt on a power-amp and use the Denon 3801 as a pre-amp only. It's what I did with my 3801. I bought a Rotel 985 MKII 5 channel amp, boy what a difference that made :) A total improvement in performance.

I don't need the Pro-logic II features, the Denon 3801 has the DTS equivilent so I don't feel as if I am missing out on anything. Keep your eyes peeled on the Classifieds here, they pop up fairly frequently.

cheers

5. kumamoto

kumamoto
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    cheers guys for our opinions, think i will hang on my 3801 for the time being. i suspected that if i were to spend under a grand i will not realise much benefit from my current setup.

6. Parmenion

Parmenion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    By a strange coincidence I have a Rotel RB 985 Mk II for sale at 400 pounds plus p and p.

I used a Denon 3802 as the processor and the Rotel as the power.

I have to say I agree about the difference in sound quality. Sometimes I would switch off the Rotel for a few minutes and listen to the Denon powering my speakers and then switch the Rotel back on. The difference was staggering and was the best investment I made to my system.

The other advantage with the Rotel is that you can keep it permanently and use it with whatever amp/processor you eventually upgrade to.

Also..........if you had two Rotel's.....you could bi-amp your speakers. Imagine the improvement in sound quality then......

See the classifieds if you are interested in the Rotel.

regards

Parmenion:) :)