Denon AVR 3500H - TV Audio 5.1 Format

CactusJackAZ

Novice Member
Looking for some help with my Denon AVR 3500H receiver.

I'm not sure how to set the correct sound mode when using the HDMI Arc input from the TV.

Right now it only produces sound on the front speakers. I'm not getting 5.1 surround sound.

I feel confident the speakers are wired properly. I went into the Audyssey test and it found the speakers and calibrated the system. I can hear the receiver pinging each speaker during the Audyssey test. I went through the speaker setup and it produced sound on each speaker.

gibbsy

Welcome to the Forum.

Use the green 'Movie' button on the remote and select your sound mode. Also check that your TV's audio is set to output either Dolby Digital or Bitstream for a 5.1 to a maximum of Dolby Digital Plus which most streaming services use. Also be mindful that not all broadcasts are in 5.1 but are 2.0 stereo. Using the 'Movie' button will bring in Dolby Surround to upmix to use all available speakers.

CactusJackAZ

Novice Member
Thank you for the response and not mocking me if the solution is simply pushing the button on a remote. :)

I'm going to feel really silly if my remote has a section called Sound Mode and I didn't mash buttons to see what happens. I could say I was focused to much on the top section of the remote but that isn't an excuse. Let me check it out when I get home.

I'll also check out the settings on the TV to ensure it's outputting the correct mode. I didn't think to look into that possibility. I just assumed the audio out would be based on whatever content was playing.

I went to YouTube and ran a few 5.1 surround sound tests that I used in the past with success.

gibbsy

I went to YouTube and ran a few 5.1 surround sound tests that I used in the past with success.
You Tube is stereo only, always has been. If all your speakers are active then the upmixing modes on the Denon are working as designed.

CactusJackAZ

Novice Member
My remote did have the sound mode at the bottom and I put the Movie, Game, and Music modes into DTS Surround and tested then tried DSurround and tested. (Using YouTube because I'm not sure what else to use for a good test)

Verified the TV output was sending out surround sound.

I'm using both Fire TV and Xbox to test and verified the Fire TV was sending surround sound.

Quite certain that I used YouTube to test my system a couple years ago when I first got the receiver. What do you recommend for testing the system?

gibbsy

Quite certain that I used YouTube to test my system a couple years ago when I first got the receiver. What do you recommend for testing the system?
Just to reiterate You Tube has never had or is unlikely to get 5.1 surround in any format. If you really want to test your system then the best way is by physical media in the form of blu ray disc. Otherwise it's the maximum of Dolby Digital Plus that you will find on Netflix, Amazon Prime and other streaming services.

People will upload to YT and title it has surround sound but it just get's downmixed to stereo for broadcast.

It's only physical media that will give your HD audio quality, all the rest from broadcast will be SD Dolby Digital.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN800B 8K TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom