Denon AVR-3312 - Sound is coming from the TV not Speakers?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by AnthonyG, Jan 6, 2012.

Tags:
  1. AnthonyG

AnthonyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    I was hoping someone could help with this.

Yesterday I bought a Denon AVR-3312 AV receiver.

I thought it was all setup fine. But today it seems the sound on the AVR was not working.

Volume up and down not working and mute had no effect.

I then noticed the sound was coming from the TV not the speakers connected to the AVR.

I have spent an hour trying to figure out the setting to get the AVR to control the sound and output it via the speakers. I am lost.

I do not want the TV to come via the speakers, I still want that via the TV. I want all the devices I have connected to my AV receiver to come from the speaker; So thats my Oppo Blu-Ray, the PS3 etc.

I am seriously lost. I know it willl be a simple setting. Can someone offer some help.

The speakers are definitely working as when I go to internet radio I am getting sound from the speakers.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,132
    Is the source of the audio connected to the amp and not in any way (apart from the HDMI cable from the amp) connected to the TV?

The amp will have a setting relating to HDMI audio out. The setting will have three options: AMP, TV or AMP + TV. Ensure to set this to just AMP and not TV or AMP + TV.

3. AnthonyG

AnthonyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    Brilliant, thanks Dante that fixed it.

1hr of searching to no avail. 5 mins after asking question fix comes. Reason why AVF is so great.

4. Paino

Paino
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, sorry for hijacking your thread but.......how are you finding the 3312? I can't find much about them apart from one review which was positive and they seem to be at a bargain price at the moment.

Thanks.

5. AnthonyG

AnthonyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    In terms of which features exactly?

I have really just got it. Last night spent a good couple of hours setting it up and then really gave up until today.

I had the AVR 2307 before this. The reason I upgraded was for the onboard dolby TruHD and DTSMA decoding, dual HDMI output and Ethernet port.

First impressions was it is noticeably smaller and lighter than the 2307.

I like the arrangement of the cables as the Optical cable was right at the bottom on the 2307 which meant it was a pain to swap over or if it popped out to put back in.

The setup menus are very nice, and in a totally different class to those menus on the 2307. The sound quality is impressive but not really an improvement of my 2307 to be honest.

It is significantly louder though and more punchy. Which is not something I like as I am someone who sometimes watches movies at 2am and I like dialogue clarity as opposed to bringing up the neighbourhood with explosions/gun fire.

It does not run hot which was a major worry of upgrading and why I stuck onto the 2307 for so long since my 24hours with an onkyo before getting the 2307 three and a half years back - never ever again buying onkyo.

Its a very nice receiver but really I would say unless you need 2 HDMI outputs get the 2312 to be honest; its £400 at Richer Sounds.

I bought this for £650.

6. Paino

Paino
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like it's right for me, I love a good wham factor in movies and living in a detatched means I dont have to worry about the neighbours :D

I'm only changing from my Onkyo 606 as it seems to be having a few HDMI issues and I want the network capabilities along with a front HDMI port.

Surely the 3312 has better quality internals than the 2312 and therefore would be worth the added expense?

Did you pick it up from HiFi corner?

Thanks.

7. AnthonyG

AnthonyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    It definitely has that. Been playing Modern Warfare 3 and its very punchy compared to the 2307.

That I don't know. I know its rated at 165w when the 2312 is 135w

Yes I did. Ordered at 11.15pm on the Tuesday, delivered to my door in Newcastle on the Thursday. Very fast delivery.

8. eaglemmoomin

eaglemmoomin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226

What you need to do is look at how Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume are set up. For most usage turn both off, you can renable via the remote.

Dyamic EQ boosts bass at lower volumes than reference (0dB) to emulate the punch etc of reference level listening but this has the effect of everything being very bass heavy as you dial up the volume it boosts your bass response less so by the time you get to 0dB its should not be doing anything.

Dynamic Volume had light, medium and Heavy settings. Late at night set it to Heavy and you can run at very low volumes -56dB to 57dB with my system and audio is nice clear and audible.