Denon avr-3300 discontinued?

N

nickoff

The rep in my local Hi-Fi Australia store told me that Denon were discontinuing production on the 3300 (he had three units left and was selling them $400 oz off retail).

He said the 3300 will be replaced by the 3801? If this is true, I hope to god the price on the 3801 comes down as it is currently $1000 more than the 3300!

This seems to leave a very large gap in the Denon line-up - from the 2801 at $1500 to the 3801 at $3000 oz?

Rip off, the Denon AVR-3801 should sell for the same price as the 3300 when introduced.
In Germany it sells officially for DEM2399 but can be bought for as low as DEM1700 (mail order) or DEM2000 (after bargaining), which is roughly the same in Aussi-Dollars.
Seen it in Singapore for SGD1500 (where you can get a Sony DVP-S7700 for SGD1200 only, too)!
Now I just need to find a way to smuggle them into Malaysia ...
wink.gif

------------------
If I can't eat it, drink it or fudge it, I ain't interested.

I agree that $3000 oz is way over the top for the 3801, that's why I'm holding off on upgrading until the price falls closer to $2000 (might be a long wait?).

in the uk the 3801 has already replaced the 3300, both have a rrp of 800 gbp but the 3801 is advertised for as little as 600 pounds. it has additional amplification for the es/ex channels and apparently higher ouput. also, the have supposedly eliminated the awful fan whine problems that plagued so many of the 3300s.

Even if the oz $ is one third of a pound, 600 quid would translate to about $1800 oz.

So why are we "down-under" still paying $3000 for the beast?

By the way, anyone seen any professional reviews of the 3801 on the net?

When is HCC going to have a good look at it?

Hi,

I have a 3801, for me I cant believe what I have been missing all these years. My setup at the moment

is B&W 601's Fronts CC6 Centre Sony something or other for surrounds (my sonys are off my old system, but sound great).

I have demoed mine to everyone who visits the house whether they want to hear it or not:) The result is that they are all gobsmacked, literally. Gladiator, Saving Private Ryan, and Any Given Sunday...all of them play as if your sitting there. In particular Any Given Sunday..fantastic sound on that disk.

The manual isnt too good, well when I say isnt what I mean is it doesnt explain things very well, why / what / best etc. ie It would be nice if it said...for xxx do this and try these modes...it just tells you how to set it up.

Setup is done via a svideo signal into a TV, and is menu driven incredibly easy.

The sound, well its absolutely fantastic. You can get it over here for £600 delivered.

Read some reviews on http://audioreview.com/reviews/AVReceiver/product_67934.shtml

HTH

Dave

Thanks Dave, its sounds like the goods. I just can't stand waiting until the 3801 is more reasonably priced down-under...

for equipment reviews check out audioreview.com. However, remember a lot of reviews are done in the first couple of weeks after purchase and are therefore very emotionally loaded. The real flaws are made known well after the honeymoon period.

Here in Holland we pay 833 uk-pounds ($1300 USD) for the 3801. That is REDICULOUS!!! I've informed at different places.

Wow ! So it looks like for once we can buy goods here in the UK cheaper than Holland and Australia.
Maybe the rip-off Britain campaign has had some effect.

When I was at Denon, a couple of years back, they were just about to launch the AVR 3300, which was going for about £1000 RRP when I arrived. By the time I left the price had dropped to £800 RRP, and the 3801 follows this tradition...

Rick

------------------
'I am just a figment of your imagination.'

Work Site: The Sound Gallery
Home Site: WD A.V.

[This message has been edited by ReTrO (edited 01-02-2001).]

Hi Rick,

you may have read my earlier posts about adding a processor. I can't decide whether to go for something like the Denon AVR3801 to replace my Sony STR-DB830 or whether to go for the seperate Arcam & Cyrus power amp/Cyrus AV5 processor route. I would be spending about the same on both options, but what would sound better? I would prefer the Arcam/Cyrus option because of space restraints and coaxial/toshlink connections, but would the Denon sound better, bearing in mind I am powering my fronts and centre speaker with the Arcam Alpha amps and I'm not interested in adding any extra speakers. I really didn't want to get another bulky AV receiver if I can help it, but if it sounds better then I could be persuaded.

Any opinions would be helpful before I start auditioning.

Thanks!
smile.gif

I would go for the Arcam DAVE option personally, very good sound, just limited upgradeability.

Rick

------------------
'I am just a figment of your imagination.'

Work Site: The Sound Gallery
Home Site: WD A.V.

thanks for the advice. It's just easier for me to get the Cyrus AV5 because otherwise I'd have to try and find an Alpha 10 and trade my Alpha 9 in for next to nothing, I also prefer the look of the Alpha 9 to the 10.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom