1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon avr-2803-Mission m5 series

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Wij, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Wij

Nov 17, 2003
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Hi all,

After a bit of help with the above setup if at all possible.
    Basically I've been using it a while now but I'm not convinced I have it setup as well as it should be.I'm not exactly brimming with extensive knowledge on the ins and outs of home cinema setup.

So,I have the denon 2803 powering 2 mission m53 floor standers,the m5c centre,m5ds rears and the m5as sub.I havent really even an inkling of the ideal settings for this setup,at the moment they are as follows.

Amp:Speakers all set to large,sub set for LFE only not LFE+Main,crossover frequency set at 40hz(too low?),channel levels all at 0.0db.

Sub:Volume midway,phase switch off,crossover to 140(as amp controls it)

Now,the sub was late arriving,I've been using the other speakers without it for a while,I rigged it up and got testing it last night using "saving private ryan" start scene and end scenes,clearly the sub hasnt been run in yet but the first thing I noticed was how powerful the bass was with explosions,I mean really intense boom and rumble,a little too much,this could be toned down somewhat by lowering the subs own volume but as it was only set to halfway anyway I could only take it so low before it was too low a volume and it didnt help a huge deal ;)

Bass reproduction when playing back stereo source from my denon 2900 seems fine,its not too overpowering.
    So are any of the settings above clearly not right or is it simply the lack of running in the sub has and/or simple volume settings for sub?

Any advice on the best way to calibrate the system would be greatly appreciated :)