Denon AVR-2803 DTS Distortion Problem

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by findrum, Oct 21, 2004.

Tags:
  1. findrum

findrum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Twelve months ago I bought a Denon AVR-2803 AV receiver and Acoustic Energy Evo speakers. After 10 months of use, I noticed that the sound was distorted in the front left and right speakers when playing DTS DVDs and CDs. It's not there straightaway, and typically starts about 30 minutes after playback is started. Once it's there, there's no way to get rid of it. Dolby Digital and PCM work OK.

I've tried two DVD players - Toshiba SD340E and Daewoo 5800.

I'm using a coaxial cable between the DVD player and 2803.

I returned the unit to my dealer and after five weeks eventually got it back. Their report says, "unit tested and no fault found." However, it still has the same fault.

I've disconnected everything apart from the front speakers and DVD player and still get the problem. I've even turned off everything in the house just in case it was some kind of weird interference.

I've worked in pro audio for 20 years, and write instruction manuals for various Japanese audio manufacturers so I know a thing or two about distortion. However, this problem has got me stumped.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. hektic

hektic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    If you've had it working for 10 months It's got to be a hardware fault and the dealer has not tested it properly!

Is the dealer Denon authorised? If so I'd give Denon support a call and explain what's happened. You never know they might sort something out for you :)

At least you reported the fault while it was in warranty, they are responsible for not fixing the problem the first time.

Good luck with it.

3. findrum

findrum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Stuart!

Indeed, it would appear that Denon did not test the unit properly. That's a real hassle! I made the mistake of buying on the Net. Five weeks ago I had to drive 40 miles to return it to their Wolverhampton store. That store closed two weeks later, and Superfi told me that I'd have to drive 50 miles to their Brum store to collect. After they sat on it for 9 days, I insisted that they send it back via ParcelForce - five weeks later and with the same fault. Now they want me to drive 50 miles to take it back to their Brum branch so they can try and find the fault that they missed the first time. Bah!

A little bird tells me that this is a heat issue to do with the ADSST-SHARC-Mel-100 DSP chip getting too hot. Either the AVR-2803's ventilation is inadequate and the DSP chip is overheating, or my unit has a faulty chip that doesn't like heat. According to the spec for this chip <http://www.analog.com/UploadedFiles/Data_Sheets/702040576ADSST-SHARC-MEL-100_0.pdf>, a heatsink should be fitted to keep the case temperature below the max of 85C. There ain't no heatsink in my unit and the natural airflow around it ain't brilliant.

I called support at Denon U.K. and they said I'd have to return it to the dealer.

The situation is regrettable to say the least.

Thanks

4. findrum

findrum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To wrap this unfortunate episode, I took the unit back to Superfi in Birmingham and collected it two weeks later. Denon had included no paperwork, so Superfi said they'd give it a through test to make sure that it had actually been repaired. Said they'd blasted the Gladiator DTS soundtrack through it for two hours and it seemed OK. Anyway, got it back home, hooked it up, and DTS now works OK. Thank god for that. It only took NINE WEEKS to get it repaired. That's an entire two months with no AV! Two months of the warranty when I wasn't even using it. When I lived in Japan (10 years), a repair like this would have taken a few days. Oh well! I must try and remember that when it comes to goods and services, the U.K. is like being on another planet...

5. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,125
    The service you got is unacceptable, I would have blown a fuse if I were you. Luckily my dealers are not that far if anything ever goes wrong.

Dealer beware :devil: