Denon AVR-2803 - cannot output setup menu to TV

jrn107

Novice Member
Hi All,

Some time ago, I bought a Denon AVR-2803 Receiver second hand. To all appearances it works correctly. However, I cannot get the setup menu to display on a TV, no matter what I do. I am trying to work out if this is a fault, or more likely something I'm doing wrong.

I have the manual and have carefully followed the instructions, to no avail.

I have a new composite video cable (YPbPr) connected from the 'monitor out' to the TV. I have checked that the separate elements of the cable work by using it with other equipment. I have also tried connecting to a different TV. From what I can tell, the issue is not the cable or the TVs. I have also tried the cable on the other video connections on the AMP. Nothing. I am on the correct source on the TV and am pressing the right buttons on the Amp remote and am in the correct mode.

Has anyone else encountered this issue? I can't find any answers from general internet searches. I took a few months to get around to connecting up speakers after the purchase, so can't reasonably now ask the previous owner.

Any input / suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Jamie

Distinguished Member
It's been a while since I've used such an old Denon but I'm fairly sure there were restrictions on what outputs could show the setup menu, it's available on the :single composite output and not on the component output

jrn107

Novice Member
It's been a while since I've used such an old Denon but I'm fairly sure there were restrictions on what outputs could show the setup menu, it's available on the :single composite output and not on the component output
I had another look. There was a single composite output on the backup for the monitor, as well as an s-video (elsewhere from the component outputs). I have managed to locate a scart to RCA converter for the TV (luckily it's old enough to still have some scarts on). Single RCA from the converter to the Amp and it works! I now have the system setup menu up on the TV.

Thank you very much for the help - I was just about ready to give up. As you said, it is an old system, but meets the limited requirements I have and it is now a lot more usable with access to the menus.

Thanks again for taking the time and the speedy response.

John

Jamie

Distinguished Member
I'm still using an old Arcam that's the same with the menu only available on composite, luckily my kitchen TV still has a composite input but they're defenitely getting rarer.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom