Denon AVR-2312

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Lortyboy, Dec 29, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Lortyboy

Lortyboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm considering upgrading to this AV amp after seeing it reduced at Richer Sounds to £399.00

Does anyone know if there are any reviews on the amp or has anyone got one? I think it is between this and the Onkyo 609 which seems to get a really good write up.

Do you think it is too powerful for my speaker system? This is detailed below in my signature.

Thanks

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,409
    There is no such thing as an amp that is too powerful for the speakers!!! You just need to be more careful with the volume control. It should also give sound quality improvements since you will not have to run the amp so hard. The 2312 is a level above the 609 so should be better hence for around the same money the 2312 would seem like the better option.

3. Undercover82

Undercover82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I also posed this question yesterday but didn't get much response. Unfortunately looks like there isn't a massive user base out there.

Please report back though whichever way you go. I'd be interested in your findings.

Also something i've discovered with the Onkyo contrary to what a lot of reviews state (including What HiFi's 5-star review) the Audessey implementation it uses does NOT have front-wide channels - only front-height.

On paper the Denon appears the better unit especially with the Audessey MutiEQ XT vs 2EQ of the Onkyo for starters.
    Then something which raises more eyebrows, What HiFi in their review said the Onkyo 609 is more dynamic than the Denon 1912. When you compare spec for spec i think it's 100 watts into 8 ohms for the 609 and 90 watts for the 1912. However the 2312 boasts 105 watts into 8 ohms. So what's the score now?

The 2312 is a much more expensive unit that the 609 - surely the extra expense has to be justified somewhere?
    I still can't make up my mind between these two and no one has a 2312 setup for demo.

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,359
    The Denon AVR2312 also has Advanced Low Frequency Correction (ALFC), something not included with the implementation of Audessey found on the AVR1912 or something possible with the Onkyo's Audyssey 2EQ.

Audyssey LFC - Enjoy Late-Night TV and Music | Audyssey

And yes, Audyssey DSX is only enabled for height on the Onkyo.

5. Lortyboy

Lortyboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah it really confuses me how there seems to be no information at all about the amp. On paper it does look look to be a much better amp than the Onkyo.

I have reserved the Denon when it comes back into stock at Richer Sounds. I am really keen to find out if it sounds better than my Denon AVR 1610. I am sure my 1610 has the late night feature for watching movies music. I adjusts the volumes so you can listen louder at nigh is this the feature you mean?

6. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,359
    Most amps have some form of dynamic range control for night time use, but ALFC is specific in its treatment of the lower frequencies and treatment of the EQ of the lower end is something usually reserved for top end and flagship models.

7. Lortyboy

Lortyboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Should be getting the new amp next week from richer sounds :)

8. iclueless

iclueless
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I to am considering the 2312 after seeing it at steal of the century price in richer sounds, but I too am still not getting the warm feeling that it will be an absolute performer, yamaha 671 has also been recommended and I am a yamaha fan but surely the den on must out perform this given that it appears to be a grade above at the original price point, any thoughts........

9. Keiron

Keiron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    I can't help feeling that this amp must have been massively overpriced in the first place for it to be reduced by so much so quickly.

10. eaglemmoomin

eaglemmoomin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Nah typical Denon, they always do this around Jan. They were selling a 1300 AVR for 800 for a month or two last year. Yamaha tend to do it around mid year.

The replacement will come out in about 2.5 months so they are trying to dump stock.