Denon AVR 2310 Output video signal changing?

WalshG

Standard Member
When I play SKY HD or Blu Ray through the AVR 2310 to the Plasma via HDMI every now and again the screen goes blank and steps through the video input types until it returns to 1080i and I can continue to watch (this will probably only happen once or twice in a whole evenings viewing).

I have removed the Amp from the setup and no issues, re-introduced and it happens again, any ideas?

pistolpete1

When I got mine, it didn't happen, then went on holiday and returned to find mine does exactly the same thing. Switch it on, and about 2 mins into watching tv, it goes blank and looks for the input. Saying that, it only happened when I watch tv from the freeview tuner in the Sony DVD recorder (which i do, everytime I watch tv). It never happens with my Sony blu ray player, or xbox.

As this is the case, I assume the Sony DVD recorder updated something that has caused this potential 'handshake' problem (Auto update on it).

Left this problem on other forums, but yet to get an answer but for the one above.

Have you updated your Denon 2310 since purchase.....I was told it might solve the problem, but as yet haven't tried it....

pistolpete1

Just so you know......I have emailed Denon about these problems, and I'll post their reply once I receive one.....

WalshG

Standard Member
Eventually got the time (and the leads) to update the firmware this weekend to the version that was released last week V0082 but exactly the same. The amp seems to drop the signal for a second or two every now and again which is very annoying.

I will try and speak to Denon this week.

andyman2

Don't want to "muddy the waters" but I notice my 1910 does the same thing when fed from my Humax foxsat. I notice it on the projector mostly, the 1910 is set to upscale to 1080p and the projector to o/p Natively. So for 2 mins the picture fills the screen, then there is a re-sync. After that the o/p from the denon drops to 720p and obviously no longer fills the screen. The re-sync happens every time, and nearly every time the resolution changes. Ofcourse this might not be the same issue as its a 1910 etc, but just thought I'd post in case its relevent.

Ricky27

My 2808 has gone back to RS for completely loosing the HDMI output, first it started to drop the signal and re-sync, then got nothing from HDMI 1 or 2, took amp out of the chain and both DVD and BD player picture is perfect.

WalshG

Standard Member
After many different configs as recommended by Denon I think I may have got to the bottom of this!

I believe this may be comming from noise on the mains, wheather it is interfering with the amp or the wiring I am not sure yet. When things like the oven or central heating switches on/off the output from the amp dissapears for a split second then comes back on (steping through the various output options).

Any ideas on a mains filter? Should I need one or is this more likely to be a defective power supply in the amp?

I will speak to Denon later in the week and post back.

WalshG

Standard Member
Resolved at last.

Denon did not offer much help.

I started with mains filters which made no difference, I then stripped the wiring down to just sky HDMI in to Monitor HDMI out to TV this still gave me the issue. I then replaced the cables which seemed to cure the problem.

So the issue was mains noise being picked up on the HDMI cable from the Amp to the TV, for some reason the noise on this cable was causing the amp to drop the signal although if the Sky box or BluRay player were driving the signal driect there was no issue.

I now have a more expensive 10m HDMI cable from the Amp to TV with no issues, I just now need to get it into the wall!

JH4

Interesting post. Just a thought though - did you try it again with the earlier HDMI cable. The assumption that it was mains interference may be correct, but it could have been a bad HDMI connection at one or other end of the cable. Just a thought. Bad connections are quite frequent, in my experience.
A re-connect of the old cable may prove whether mains spikes are still the culprit with that particular cable - or a faulty HDMI lead - if the fault re-appears. If the fault stays clear it could have been a bad connection all along. Sometimes HDMI leads come slightly loose in the socket, if anything gets moved, for example.
Might be worth a try, to conclusively prove it.

Last edited:

WalshG

Standard Member
I tried the old cable again last night and I could still replicate the issue, so I think I can conclude it is mains noise on the HDMI cable.

This seems to make sense to me, the original cable was cheap as I believe this is a digital signal so it will either work or not and in this case it did not work. This time I have bought a slightly more expensive cable (£25 for 10m) that claims to have enhanced shielding and it seems to work fine.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom