Denon AVR-2307, Sony STR-DA1200ES or STR-DA3200ES

drljames

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking to replace my aging Yamaha DSP-620.

Just looking for views on...

Denon 2307
Sony STR-DA1200ES
Sony STR-DA3200ES
Pioneer VSX1016V

Are there any others I should be looking at?

Thanks

If you will not being the 5.1 stuff though your money would probs be better spent on a 2-channel amp
It would seem that there aren't any 2-channel amps with digital imputs - I'm not quite sure why this is though!

firstly can folks please remember the forum rules, no trade talk in the discussion forums, cheers.

as for why stereo amps dont have digital inputs, well, there is not really a need.....it would add expense, most people feed from a CD player with an internal DAC or if looking for higher quality sound buy an offboard DAC....

also a purist approach means if all the amp has to do is pre and power the signal, less demand on the PSU.....if its also running a DAC, well, major power swings in the power amp section could well inhibit the DAC from operating as well as it could....

i got the feeling there are some with digital inputs, i'd imagine the digital stereo amps that came out do (sharp and sony i think?) altho i think they were rather pricey? but i cant remember a lot about them so dont quote me...lol

anyhow, best thing if you would rather have stereo is to buy a good stereo amp and get one of the chinese make DAC's, forget the name, check the normal Hifi Separates section of the forums, anyhow, combine the two and bingo :)

I could stretch to a Denon 2807.. would this be superior to the Sony 1200, I suppose fairer comparison would be with the sony 3200??

Have raided my piggy bank, can probs go up to £600-650.. any recommendations?

Been now looking at the Sony STRDA-3200ES and Denon 2307/2807.

Have booked a demo of a 2307.. but unable to get the others!

Had a brief listen to the pioneer 2016 too.

I like the sound of my old yamaha AX620 and my Wharfedale Evo 20's.

Recommendations very welcome!

Ta

Onkyo 674 would be worth an audition. I used it to compare with the 2307

I think I have narrowed my search down to the Sony STRDA-3200ES
or Denon 2307 (both £499.

Any comments on either of these two?

Hi,

For what its worth, I did a side-by-side listening test for 2 hours with the Denon AVR-2807 and Sony STR-DA1200ES at my local dealer. _Everything_ sounded cleaner and crisper through the Sony (DVD-A, DVD and CD). If it was my money, I'd be picking up a Sony (intending to grab the 3200ES in the January sales!) :clap:

(FWIW, I was listening to a Denon DVD-1930, and the speakers were the latest Kef eggs - trying to find a step up from my 7-year-old Sony STR-DB930). :thumbsup:

Just my $0.02...

Neil.

thanks for your reply.. think i will track down a dealer with the sony to have a good listen :D

There is the cambridge audio 640R coming out in january apparently - that might be another option

Shaz

Oh no.. not another one to choose from.. arghhhhhhhhhh :D

I heard the Sony 1200 and was impressed with the sound.. not heard the denon 2307 yet though. I think the Sony will do what I want it to do (thats deal with the lack of inputs on my 32V2000

Have decided on the 1200 as it does what i require. Picking it up tomorrow for £299 :D

yeah, richer sounds. emailed their customer services to confirm price... then the store to check stock and reserve.

I am told they will honour that price.. will report back tomorrow!

Hold on the 3200ES will decode HDMI audio the 1200 will not future proof yourself with this model

Dave

My main prob is not having enough inputs on my TV, I am happy with 5.1 sound.. decoding audio over hdmi can wait for me. For 299 am happy with the 1200

i know the main reason why people gets av recievers with hdmi switching is because they dont have many hdmi outputs on there tv.my tv has 2 hdmi slots, i have a hdmi cable from my ex85 to my th50px60, and thats all i have use for hdmi at the moment,until the ps3 comes out.Theres another hdmi slot filled, and i may get one of them ntl hd boxes, basically what im asking use, is it worth me getting the sony sta da 1200ES, for the extra hdmi slots, or is the sound and technology of the kit top knotch aswell. is that why the sony is good, because of its hdmi capabilities or is it a generally top of the range piece of kit, iv seen the award for it in what hi mag, but sony have made some pretty low quality gear in the past. im looking for assurance really, im ready to buy this piece of kit,but i just want to make sure its going to be right for me.
What makes this award winning, what outstanding features does it have.How else could this sony benefit me.
When people say there going to demo it,who offers to show you demos, who do you contact to arrange one.
Any recommendations for speakers,would the canton cd101 speakers go nicely with it, was thinking because its a german make.

thanks.total newbie at audio

Have just got back from birmingham with my 1200ES, got it for £299.

Just unboxing it now and setting up.. hope it goes smoothly! :D

Took a while to remove my old amp and plug the new one in... then I did battle with assigning the various inputs to hdmi/component.

Well pleased with it though!

Have just got back from birmingham with my 1200ES, got it for £299.

Just unboxing it now and setting up.. hope it goes smoothly! :D

I have seen it on their web page for £349 did you get a price match ? I thought i had read somewhere that they had advertised it for 299 but can't find it !!!!!

What did you send to customer services as I would love to pick one up at that price.

Thanks

Hi,
You have until 8th January. All you need to do is find a richer sounds that has one in stock. Go there. Tell them you saw their ad in What HiFi for £299. And they just knock £100 off. I took WhatHifi with me just in case.. but didnt need it.

Their latest flyer says £399!!

Hope that helps?

Hi,
You have until 8th January. All you need to do is find a richer sounds that has one in stock. Go there. Tell them you saw their ad in What HiFi for £299. And they just knock £100 off. I took WhatHifi with me just in case.. but didnt need it.

Their latest flyer says £399!!

Hope that helps?

Excellent have the mag, its been set aside and collecting later today :thumbsup: I had this on pre order from play.com so have cancelled that as it is still out of stock. Saved £50 and collect today !

Have a happy new year !

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom