Denon AVR 2105

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Burnie29, Feb 27, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Burnie29

Burnie29

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all, I have just purchsed a denon Avr 2105. which i am connecting to a panny pw6 via component. I have been reading quite a lot regarding this Component Video Conversion which should enable me to convert s video from my DVD to component to my pw6. i am struggleing to get this working. and im worried that it wont convert, and the only way is to use component from my DVD. which i dont really want to do, as i have bought s video cables and a scart to s-video from my CABLE box. which i was hoping my avr would convert all signals straight out to component.

I would appreciate some advice on this, as i dont really want to buy more component cables and a js tech rgb to component convertor for the cable box which i also want to connect via scart to s video convertor.

thanks

Burnard

2. tamthetim

tamthetim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Burnie29

According to the Denon website this model doesn't do up conversion to component, it does video to s-video.

Component would be the way to go for best picture, otherwise buy a new board for the PW6 that has S-video.

Or DVD to componenent board and VGA port for the cable box.

Cheers,Tam

3. Burnie29

Burnie29

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. maybe your right. damn. i think the 2805 may do this up conversion. the sales liturature makes out it upstreams s vido to component. oh well, i will ditch the s video leads and get a js convertor for the cable box so its all component connected,

regards

Burnard

4. neal666

neal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Burnie29,

I did the exact same thing as you did when i got mine. :suicide: i was intending to have one component cable from the AVR to my PW7 plasma and everything plugged into that, went out and got the 2105 which i thought was the bees knees only to find my plan was foiled :mad: ... i took it back 2 days later and payed the diffrence and replaced it for the 2805 which did exactly what i wanted.

it was the best thing i did because the 2805 is far far superior to the 2105 just everything about it is class, the extra power handling also made so much difference with my speakers :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

5. Burnie29

Burnie29

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes i think ill do that. i have been misled. by denon.
    my other option is to get a convertor 150 notes. is your 2805 silver, and where did you buy from

thanks

burnie

6. Gold Teeth II

Gold Teeth II

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    neal666,

Would you mind going into a bit of detail about how the 2805 is better than the 2105? I am trying to make up my mind about these receivers right now. Thansk for any help you can give.

7. Burnie29

Burnie29

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im trying to make my mind up too, ive just boxed this 2105 up to send back, as i want switching and upstream of s video to component as i have allready bought all cables and run my lead to plasma. Im sure i will be happy with the 2805, as it does this, but its 170 quid more. but my main problem is that i cant work out, that the cable box im using is RGB scart.
    and i have a cable that is scart to s video, and im not sure this is what i need, as im dont know if the denon will send this through too, as it is RGB.

so i guess if you dont need to upstream s video, then the cheaper option of the 2105 may be all you require. but do your homework. to save 20 quid carriage fee i will have to stand.

any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Gavin

8. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +898
    The 2805 can upscale composite and s.video to component but not RGB - s.video is actually a picture format not just a socket shape! If you have bought a scart->s.video cable you will need to ensure that your cable box can output in s.video as I know my NTL box cant. (it can only out put composite or RGB and the loss in quality from composite then being up'ed to component is unbearable)

I am currenty considering going down the route of an RGB -> component converter for my NTL to enable my avr2805 to act as the hub of my system and as my panny TV is well reported to prefer component to RGB

9. neal666

neal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Gold Teeth,

I was lucky enough or not as the case was! :confused: to try them both in my home with my setup because i made the mistake of getting the 2105 which thought did the upconverting. i am not saying the 2105 is bad in anyway at all its fantastic but the 2805 blows it away, i got it for the main reason i needed the video up converting which was worth the extra money on its own for me. The extra power handling just seemed to unlock my speakers `so to speak` give them that extra kick up the backside thay seemed to lack with the 2105 (sounded a bit flat). other things you could class as minor things really but all adds the to the quality of the unit. e.g the front dispay is better,menu system is better, better layout with the connections at the back, Remote is better etc....

i would say if you can afford to spend the extra then do it, buy the best AVR your budget will allow. you will not be dissapointed in the 2105 or the 2805 but the 2805 wins hands down everytime. :clap: :clap:
    again that is just my opinion i suppose. :rolleyes:

Now if only i could have been brave enough to spend even more and get the 3805 even if it was just for that funky remote. :eek: :eek: :eek:

I got both mine from Superfi in Newcastle, the 2105 was £369 and the 2805 was £579 (both silver) which where both the best price i found... the service was also fantastic because i was not happy with the 2105 as it did not do what i wanted i was able to take it straight back and swap it for the 2805 no questions asked..... :smashin:
    Have a look at the Superfi website there will be a store close to you i would think

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Astaroth,
    I am currenty considering going down the route of an RGB -> component converter for my NTL to enable my avr2805 to act as the hub of my system and as my panny TV is well reported to prefer component to RGB
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

I am also going to go down this route and getting one of them convertors from JS Tech. because like you say i have NTL also and have been told that the diffrence is fantastic...

if you get one before i do let us know how you get on and what its like compared to how it is now PQ wise...... :thumbsup:

10. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    I can also vouch for Superfi's excellent service. I eventually bought a Denon 2105 from them but went through 2 receivers before I settled on it. No questions asked and excellent return and pickup times. A little bit more expensive then the very lowest you can get on the 'net but worth it, to me, for the returns policy.

11. Gold Teeth II

Gold Teeth II

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply, Neal. I do not need all of the fancy video stuff, so maybe the 2105 is OK for me. But I wouldn't mind a little but more power. Decisions, decisions.

12. Burnie29

Burnie29

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    has anyone used one of these js tech rgb to component convertors. and if so does it improve the pq quality considerably?

Burnie