Denon AVR 2105 vs AVR 2805

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Paolo, Feb 22, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Paolo

Paolo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Does anyone have any views on the 2105 compared to the 2805.

I have demo'ed them side-by-side, (but not extensively) and at the moment am unsure if the sound quality improvement is worth the additonial £200+.

I'm hoping to hook them up to some KEF KHT 2005s, but the dealer wasn't able to arrange this in the demo - so I don't really have all the information at the moment to make a decision.

Functionality and connectivity (for me) are similar on both and I don't really need/want the extra ooomph - so is there anything else I'm missing from comparrison ???

I'll be feeding in DVD 2910; Sky+; PS2; (potentially MacMini sound) and then (hopefully) a single output to a Panny PW7 so would appreciate views from anyone with a similar set-up.

Thanks...

2. Speedluvver

Speedluvver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I did a lot of research on this, and bought the 2805.. On all of the reviews it seems that the 2805 has better quality overall.. in steering ability in 5.1 and is much more capable in 2 Channel mode. the quality has been compared to the 3805.. it also has Component upconversion to assist video switching which confirmed it for me..

3. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +887
    Certainly the biggest plus for me was the up conversion of s.video etc to Component

This combined with the better build quality and the reported better steering swung it for me. (plus with the prices I was looking at there was only £150 difference)

4. Speedluvver

Speedluvver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Actually, the other thing is the auto setup.. this saves time and seems to do a good job

5. Paolo

Paolo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick response guys - appreciate the comments. :thumbsup:

Just to confirm with Component Upconversion...

If I'm feeding PS2, Sky+, DVD to the AVR - via component in the first place (my Mac Mini wil go straight to the PW7 and I don't have any s-video inputs) why would I need upconversion ???? :confused:

Will it replace the need to buy a JS RGB to YUV convertor for the Sky+ signal ? Can i just feed the RGB to the AVR and it will convert it to component for me ? I didn't think I could do this...

As the 2105 has auto set-up aswell, it will probably come down to steering ability - but that is so difficult to test extensively.

6. Diamond

Diamond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try to put 2/3 of the budget to speakers and you'll be fine. I mean, rather better speakers than receiver.

7. t0by

t0by

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Paolo

I got my 2805 today and have it set up with Kef KHT 2005's. I did the auto setup with the included mic (only takes a few mins) and the results are ear-bending. Not sure if that's just the technological upgrade from my 4 year old Onkyo, but the audio is leagues better. Now considering dumping my centre 'egg' and replacing it with a 5005 (and use the spare egg for rear 6.1 channel).

I have all of my video running via the 2805 as well. Sky to 2805 via JS Labs RGB>YUV and Denon 2900 DVD player to 2805 via component, then a single component feed to my new PW7.

I'm elated... :thumbsup:

8. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +887
    Unfortuantely you cant feed RGB to the amp for up conversion only s.video or composite - though s.video is considered almost equivilent to RGB by many people.

9. Paolo

Paolo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Toby,

Good to hear you're so pleased. :smashin:

What's behind your decision to dump your centre 'egg' and replace it with a 5005 ?

Is it because you're disappointed with dialogue or do you just want to hear what an extra rear channel sounds like ???

10. t0by

t0by

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Paolo, I think I am just being greedy and suffering from a bad case of upgraditus! Only had the new kit for 24 hours and am already thinking what I can do next. A fatal condition considering how much cash I have just spent!

Don't get me wrong, I am absolutely delighted with the new setup and the new sound quality that I am getting from my 2805 and Kef's - the only reason that I mentioned the 5005 idea is that I know that my new 2805 does 6.1 and I want a piece of the action!

Since I posted that yesterday, I think my feet have returned to earth and I am going to leave things as they are for a while and just enjoy my new system...

[​IMG]

11. banman

banman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

First post.

This is a thread close to my heart. This is exactly where I'm looking for an amp.

Question for Toby. I had a listen to Kef 2005.2 on a yamaha 1400 last weekend. I thought they have great quality, but left the room feeling empty, especially the lower range even with the sub. How are you finding the setup?

I was trying to find something to bring a half decent car audio type sound into my living room - oh and apply it to movies too :D I now know I need so go for non-sats!!

Cheers,
    B.

12. Simon James

Simon James

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was going for a 2105 until I read this thread! I was going to use a JS Labs RGB to VGA from my Freeview box to feed a PW7 (converting scart to the VGA). But with a 2805 I suppose I can go Scart to s-video or composite staight to the amp, and then all signals out in component? OR would there be any point going through a JS RGB to component converter before going to the amp?
    I suppose the question is which is gonna generate the better PQ, scart to VGA via the JS box or scart via the amp letting it up convert to component?
    Thoughts appreciated, as this amp would save me a bit od extra cabling....

13. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +180
    By converting RGB to S-Video or composite you're down-converting quality wise, sticking it through the amp an upconverting to component won't make better quality. You're also introducing 2 conversion stages which will introduce artifacts.

Best I'd suggest would be get an RGB->Component convertor then it's just being passed through the amp and there's only 1 conversion stage...if that makes sense :)

14. t0by

t0by

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'm with pink on this one - exactly what I have done. I have all of my video running via the 2805. Sky to 2805 via JS Labs RGB>YUV and Denon 2900 DVD player to 2805 via component, then a single component feed to my new PW7.

banman, I wouldn't say that my room feels empty at all! The auto setup with the 2805 is excellent (esp. for an amateur like me!) and set up all my 'eggs' nicely. The sub was less successful (might be due to position), but with a bit of manual adjustment I have got things sounding lovely.

15. Speedluvver

Speedluvver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I will be adding a sub XLS200 in the few days.. and was going to use autosetup too... Toby.. what manual adjustments did you have to make ?

16. Simon James

Simon James

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    pink, tobyh- thanks, that does make sense. Thanks for the feedback.
    I will def get a JS RGB to YUV to run out of the Freeview into component in on the 2805.
    One more quickie- I assume the JS unit has separate audio out to feed the amp?

17. t0by

t0by

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yes, indeedy...

[​IMG]

18. t0by

t0by

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    speedluvver, I just had to up the level on the sub a bit as the autosetup left it a bit lacking...

19. Simon James

Simon James

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks toby. I think i'm pretty much there now!
    DVD via component thru' 2805 (10m lead though!) to PW7
    Freeview via JS RGB>YUV unit thru' 2805 and out via component (only one conversion then as you say) to PW7. Audio (for Freeview) form JS unit to an imput on the amp.
    That sound OK to you?

I want to attach my Mac as well at some point but I suppose I can just run this thru' the amp as well? It has DVI out. So will need another converter. Or could add a DVI board to the Panny?

Cheers. I can't believe how much I've learnt form here in a week. :) :) :)

20. t0by

t0by

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Your connections sound good James - they are exactly the same as mine.

Not sure about running the Mac via the amp as I'm not sure how you would convert the DVI out into something that the 2805 would take. Might be worth looking at the DVI board for the PW7. There was a good thread about this a while back when the Mac Mini was announced - its here:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183937

21. Simon James

Simon James

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks.
    Might go for the DVI board, just means a bit of extra channelling in the wall which i'm in the middle of at the moment, didn't really want to do any more! The Mac mini was the idea, I think it has s-video out so could use that. or a DVI to VGA converter then straight into the Pannys on board VGA....thanks for the link will take a look.

22. Simon James

Simon James

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No s-video out on the Mac Mini...although Apple do make a DVI to s-video connector.

23. Supersonic

Supersonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Does anyone know what the difference is between feeding the 2805 a composite signal and letting it up-convert it, and feeding it a YUV signal converted from RGB Scart? Is there any difference in the output PQ?

24. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +180
    Well as far as picture quality is concerned it should go as follows (there's always an RGB/component argument :) )

Composite < S-Video < Component/RGB

Basically composite is the lowest quality video connection out there, so doing RGB->Component you're keeping as high quality signal quality as possible.

25. jchm

jchm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Toby

I went through exactly the same thoughts when I first bought my 2805/2005.2 combo last year! So I went and another single 'Egg' from Creative Audio for 6.1 - it was worth it!

happy listening!
    John

26. Burnie29

Burnie29

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all, inresponse to this thread, i have just purchsed a denon Avr 2105. which i am connecting to a panny pw6 via component. I have been reading quite a lot regarding this Component Video Conversion which should enable me to convert s video from my DVD to component to my pw6. i am struggleing to get this working. and im worried that it wont convert, and the only way is to use component from my DVD. which i dont really want to do, as i ahve bought s video cables and a scart to s-video from my CABLE box. which i was hoping my avr would convert all signlas straight out to component.

I would appreciate some advice on this, as i dont really want to buy more component cables and a js tech rgb to component convertor for the cable box.

thanks

Burnard

27. Duffers0

Duffers0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Keep a look out on Ebay for sales of single eggs, not a huge investment to get what you want.
    Then upgrade the centre and have 2 rear eggs, be foolish not to use all amp channels :smashin:

28. lockstocked

lockstocked
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    although the denon setup mic does give you a superb sound, i would advise trying a manual setup. i have a mate who is big into av who came and did this to my setup, this gave me a massive plus, i didn't realise it could get much better until i had heard it myself

sony 32fq75, denon 2805, kef 2005.2, sky +, sony dvpns730, monster and qed

29. Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Agreed, the Auto setup is pretty good but there are improvements to be had if you can put in the time with a tape measure and spl meter IMHO.

30. jdanielp

jdanielp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    not heard the 2805 but just demoed the 2105 verus the Yamaha AX750SE and for me the Yamaha beat it hands down in both multichannel surround and in particular pure direct stereo, although in favour of the Denon it is a little more stylish and it seemed to handle layer change sound drop-out a bit quicker. i imagine the 2805 must be a significant step up from the 2105 and now wish that i had demoed that instead for a more balanced comparison! oh well. :cool: