Question Denon AVR-1912 no DTS audio using ACR

Basildon

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'll try to explain as issue best I can. Everything is fine if I connect my Xbox to the AVR and then AVR to TV (Samsung NU8000), but Denon has no 4K pass through so my friend suggested to use ACR connection. So I have Xbox connected to the TV and Denon connected to the TV using ACR HDMI or optical. Either way, it doesn't decode DTS this way. The TV recognised Denon as the main audio source (I can change the volume using tv remote), but when I play Blu-ray from Xbox it says audio not supported and I can see the video only. Same story when I play video clips from the USB connected to the TV - audio not supported for files with DTS.
I'm not an expert and it may be something silly, but I think I used all available settings on AV and nothing.
Any ideas?

I was thinking to replace my AVR with a soundbar, but this won't fix the problem I see.
It might if the soundbar takes the hdmi in from the X box and passes video on to the TV.

Mind then you may as well send stereo pcm from x-box through the TV to a soundbar? {I know they claim to do spatial surround with clever phasing stuff but...}

Use the XBox's optical audio output to convey the audio to your current AV receiver rather than using ARC to pass the audio through the TV and out to your AVR. Optical will basically give you access to the same formats you can convey via ARC apart from ARC having the ability to convey DD+ inclusive of Atmos metadata. You'd be able to still output the XBox's video directly to the TV via HDMI while conveying the audio to the AV receiver via optical. Note that neither ARC nor optical can or will convey HD formats or multichannel PCM though. You'd need a direct HDMI connection to the AVR or eARC in order to convey HD formatted audio or multichannel PCM.

Optical would convey 5.1 DTS as well as 5.1 Dolby Digital and 2 channel PCM.

Last edited:
There's also the option of implementing something like the HDFury AVR Key into the setup. This is basically an HDMI splitter/audio extractor. You'd use this to split the XBox;s HDMI output into both a video and an audio stream. You'd then be able to continue to convey the UHD video to your display while simultaneously having a seperate HDMI connection to the AV receiver to carry HD formatted audio or multichannel PCM. THe only real drawback with this option is the cost:

Amazon product ASIN B076FVJ4F6

Last edited:
Thanks, guys. I really appreciate your support. The problem is that I have Xbox Series X (no optical port), so have to find another solution. The best way (budget option) is to sell my home cinema and buy something like Yamaha YAS-209 soundbar with 4K passthrough, so Xbox HDMI to soundbar and ARC or optical to TV.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom