DENON AVR 1912 Airplay does not work

merzidaruvala

Standard Member
I bought a brand new Denon AVR 1912 network and air play enabled receiver yesterday. Everything works great except for the AirPlay component. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
The HDMI connections work fine, INTERNET RADIO works well (so NO network related issues). The Denon remote app also works perfectly. I can use my iphone as a remote control. However I just cannot find the AirPlay icon on my ipod , iphone and PC itunes. I cannot find the itunes library in the Denon remote app. I have the latest version of iOS on iphone and ipod (4.3.5) and the latest Itunes version (10.4.1.10)<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
I also installed the Apple Remote App on my ipod , iphone and PC itunes as mentioned in the Owner’s manual. I restarted my router, PC, iphone and ipod but still no luck. Home sharing is switched on all devices so I can play music from iphone directly through my itunes PC speakers. Hence home sharing works perfectly.

How do I get icon on my itunes, ipod and iphone. I spent hours behind this thing.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!!

scous2007

Standard Member
Hi there

I am having exactly the same problem. I have an AVR-1912 and some days the Airplay icon is there and I can send the music to the amp, the next day, or even later that day, I can't.

I saw another post which advised to switch off and unplug the AVR for 10 minutes for it to reset. This DOES work! Go into iTunes on your phone, choose a song, start playing it and you will see the icon and the option to send to Denon AVR-1912.

HOWEVER - it stops working during the same day and in the same session. You need to unplug and reset the AVR every time this happens.

I'm hoping that Denon can fix this in the next firmware upgrade as its extremely annoying especially when many people (including myself) purchased this amp specifically for this feature - which doesn't work properly.

Anyone else got any other ideas for keeping Airplay working?

merzidaruvala

Standard Member
My Denon AVR 1912 still refuses to show up on Airplay. I already got over the frustration. The technician from the company came by but he couldn't make it work. I reckoned that even if the AIrPlay were to start, the connection wouldn't be stable. When I use media sharing with Windows Media Player, the wifi connection with the AVR is not stable at all. Once while I was using my iPhone remote app for Denon, I locked the screen on the iPhone and that made the AVR trip. The AVR was ok when I restarted it but the incident scared the hell out of me for those few seconds. That's when I decided to buy the Apple TV device.

I got the Apple TV and connected it to the AVR. I am using it for AirPlay (Audio & Video), streaming, all the other fun stuff and I am happy again :):) phew ! ... screw the AirPlay on Denon.

simc84

Novice Member
after the 2 latest updates
airplay has been working fine since then

doesn't disapear and is very stable

make sure u have network standby on ON

it draws more power but makes sure the ip lease is always on, on your denon device

scous2007

Standard Member
Thanks simc84.

I always have the Network Standby switched to ON but its still very unstable. Some days Airplay will be there, other times it drops out during a session. Other days it isn't there at all.

I have tried the latest updates as well. I'm really not sure about the AVR-1912

Tcusolle

Standard Member
My denon never showed up in my iPhone or iPad
I called support they made me reset it and it didnt fix it
They were suppose to get back to me with a fix but never did.

I showed up once in iTunes on a wired pc in my network but playing music didn't work.

scous2007

Standard Member
Thanks for the update. I dont see the point in buying Apple TV on top of buying the AVR-1912. I bought the AVR specifically for AirPlay, so why spend another £100?

Let me know what Denon have to say. AirPlay remains highly unpredictable. I certainly wouldnt want to entertain guests and rely on Airplay to keep them entertained.

The more threads I read the more I think it is a Apple issue, not a Denon issue.

merzidaruvala

Standard Member
scous2007,
Just like you did, I also bought AVR 1912 because of the Airplay but Apple TV (ATV) would be necessary anyway because the AVR can play music only, videos won't play.
ATV has a lot of other good stuff apart from AirPlay. You could entertain your guests using YouTube of ATV or using AirPlay of ATV.
You may be right that it is a Apple issue and not a Denon issue, however AirPlay of ATV works perfectly.
In my opinion Denon should release an update for AVR 1912 to resolve this issue :mad:

codog11

Standard Member
My iphone will lose its connection to the reciever. I think it is an apple issue because Windows Media Player seems to work ok.

My big issue is with the internet/usb source. When I switch over the OSD on the tv drops. I can get it back by switching to another source like 'sat' or 'tuner'. Same problem via my laptop whem I type in the ip address. The connection fails if I try anything like internet radio or pandora.

If I unplug the receiver for a minute everything works right for a day or so, then I'm back in the same boat. My 1912 is connected to a wireless bridge, but I don't suspect that is the problem since I can access the other sources

Should I replace the unit?

andrewhaak

Standard Member
My Denon AVR-1912 also has an intermittent AirPlay problem. Sometimes the AirPlay icon is available in iTunes and my iPhone while other times it is not. I am considering selling it and buying a Pioneer VSX-1121 which was initially my second choice.

I have followed other advice in the section and have been able to get AirPlay to work only after unplugging the unit and plugging it back in. This works for a short time and then have to repeat the process again each time I want to use AirPlay. I hope Denon gets a update ready fix for this soon.

Last edited:

jonhklee

Standard Member
I had the same problem, but I tried the following which may work for you

1. Turn off bluetooth in iPhone
2. Turn off Ask to Join Network
3. Buy and connect a Netgear Ethernet Switch (ie. GS605 ~£34 or FS605 for around £14.99) between your router and the Denon. Of course unless you already have a netgear router. Also a bonus to have 3 additional Ethernet connection ports.

That sorted my AirPlay. Even if it did drop out (occasionally when my wife's iPhone is nearby) a quick switch off/on of the ethernet power cable switch brings AirPlay back on!

Hope that helps.

merzidaruvala

Standard Member
Denon airplay problems are mainly due to the residing network and not because of the AV receiver itself.

It is advisable to switch over to a N network. Wireless N standard enabled routers are much faster and far more stable than the G standard predecessors. I control the entire home theatre system using my iphone. I have not restarted the router since the time I installed it (1 month ago). It works flawlessly.

Ste2

Denon airplay problems are mainly due to the residing network and not because of the AV receiver itself.

It is advisable to switch over to a N network. Wireless N standard enabled routers are much faster and far more stable than the G standard predecessors. I control the entire home theatre system using my iphone. I have not restarted the router since the time I installed it (1 month ago). It works flawlessly.

+1:smashin:

heyfrank

Standard Member
My only issue pertaining to the Denons Airplay is the fact everything seems to work great... Except the sound, I have no speakers set up anywhere, and am just using my LG 47LW5300 speakers for the meantime through monitor out. Anyone come across this or why I have no sound for airplay, pandora, etc?

Thank you

Peterw65

Standard Member
Can anyone help please?

I have the following equipment to connect:

Sky HD box
Denon AVR1912 Received
Samsung 50" Plasma (sorry don't have model no to hand. Only 1 year old)

My sky box is in a different room connected to a projector via another av receiver (using the only sky hdmi output).*

I have run a long sky cable (are these called F Connector) from the sky box directly to my tv via tv eye into the tv aerial socket in the 2nd room. Picture and sound are fine doing it this way.*

I have now set up a Bose 5.1 speaker *only system in this room so bought a Denon AVR1912 to sit in between everything. Problem is the sky cable (F connector ?) has no port to connect to in the back of my Denon Receiver. I just tried an aerial to RCA plug converter from the sky cable to the Receiver Sat/Cable input. This didn't work.*

Can anyone suggest how best I get the sky box connected to the tv using my Receiver to distribute the sound to 5.1 please?

Thank You.*

clockworks

Novice Member
So you have connected a coax cable between the RF2 output of the Sky box and the TV's aerial input, via a magic eye, and it works fine. You want use the 1912 and Bose speakers for Sky sound?

The only way to get this to work is to connect the TV's stereo audio output to a stereo analogue input on the Denon. You won't get true 5.1 sound. Not sure if you can even get stereo this way. I imagine the picture quality will be pretty poor, too.

To get a decent picture and sound, you'll need to use an HDMI splitter on the Sky box - one output to the projector, the other a long cable to the 1912. Leave the coax cable and magic eye connected, so that the remote works.

Better still, get a Sky multiroom package, with a second Sky box for the TV.

Peterw65

Standard Member
Hi...thanks for this clockworks, makes sense and very useful.

Before I go ahead with this can I run a couple of thoughts past you please:

1. If I do go for the HDMI splitter and run a 2nd cable to my 2nd tv, I will need a very long HDMI cable (circa 30-40 feet). I heard that signal dips on cables longer than 15 feet...is this likely?

2. I already have a sky multi room package with another (2nd) box upstairs. Rather than take out a 3rd box subscription (and have to run more exposed cables) I do have a spare sky hd box, would I be able to run the coax cable from the other sky box to this 3rd one as the input and then run an 1 metre HDMI cable out of this into my Denon AVR1912?

Just an idea...

Thanks

clockworks

Novice Member
Not sure about long HDMI cables, but I'm sure that you can get boosters.

You can't feed the spare Sky box with the RF output from the first one. Well, you can, but you'll still get a poor picture, no 5.1, and no recording functions. No different to connecting the cable direct to your TV. To get a decent picture and sound, the Sky box needs to be connected to the dish.
If you don't fancy paying another multiroom sub, you could always turn it into a "Freesat from Sky" box, using a non-subscription viewing card. Note that, if you choose this option, you'll only be able to watch "live" programmes.

Peterw65

Standard Member
Hi. I've tried running a hdmi cable to the Denon unit and also direct to the tv but it won't recognise a signal. Even trying it directly from the sky box to the tv with no splitter wont work. I've tested the hdmi cable on another device and that works so it's not a cable issue.

Any suggestions?

clockworks

Novice Member
What exactly have you got connected up, and what won't work - no sound, no picture, or no sound and no picture?

Peterw65

Standard Member
Sky hd box to Yamaha AV Rec (to feed a projector via hdmi in room 1) and tried combination of direct to Samsung TV/ via Denon avr1912 (via another hdmi in room 2). No picture or sound.

I've also tried the 2nd hdmi output from my Yamaha AV Rec (RXV1067) to my Denon or TV and same failure.

Any ideas gratefully rec'd...thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q800A Soundbar & Rotel Michi X3 Reviews + TV show and Movie News & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Trinnov Audio announces Crestron Home driver
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Rotel announces upgrades to 14 and 15 Series amplifiers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on UK streaming services for May 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung's 110-inch Micro LED TV on pre-order at Harrods